Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SimonUK5

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2010
51C25X6Jf-L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I want to go and see it again already!

Juventino

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2010
Tehran
I love it! It's a great album, and while I still miss Portnoy, I still think it's a well composed album. Give it a listen..
I've listened to it and enjoyed it a lot but not as much their previous works, probably solely because I knew Portnoy didn't have to do anything with it!
Rudess is a great musician and-just quoting what i read somewhere a while back- he can probably create music even with a pile of trash but i really miss that "epic tone" that Portnoy used to give the songs.
nevertheless, they are still my favorite prog. rock/metal band.

anyway, listening to this right now : (Jordan Rudess plays the keyboard)

Steven_Wilson_-_Grace_for_Drowning.jpg

Steven Wilson
Grace for Drowning​

Destroysall

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 28, 2012
United States
I've listened to it and enjoyed it a lot but not as much their previous works, probably solely because I knew Portnoy didn't have to do anything with it!
Rudess is a great musician and-just quoting what i read somewhere a while back- he can probably create music even with a pile of trash but i really miss that "epic tone" that Portnoy used to give the songs.
nevertheless, they are still my favorite prog. rock/metal band.

I totally agree with that statement. Portnoy did definitely deliver that in their previous works, I think that tidbit is definitely missing from this album. However, I can't say I don't like it. I love it immensely. While maybe not as much as I love "Octavarium", I think its still a great album.

Also, may be obvious now, but listening to "Panic Attack". :p
220px-Dream_Theater_-_Octavarium.jpg

Last edited:

Destroysall

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 28, 2012
United States
I hear JDS is gonna be coming out with a new ODAC this fall, was gonna wait and see what it was like. May try to get a combo amp/dac then.

That sounds interesting. I enjoyed the CmoyBB myself, and for JDS to release a DAC, that might actually be something worth a wait. However, I do wish to recommend both the FiiO E10/E17 and/or the Audinst HUD-MX1 as far as DAC/Amp combos go. However, for standalone DACs go, the HRT MS2 is definitely a DAC to look at.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.