Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple will streamline the App Store purchasing experience when iOS 6 arrives this fall, as noticed by Reddit submitter Varmanj. In two significant changes, Apple will no longer require that users enter passwords to download free apps, nor when users download an update to an existing purchased app, whether paid or free.

In iOS 5, users must enter their password whenever they wish to download an app, whether paid or free, and every time they wish to download an update.

IMG_1818.png

In iOS 6, upon pressing the 'Free' button on the App Store, the button changes to "Install App" and another press begins the install process. In another change designed to make the purchasing process quicker and easier, the App Store no longer returns users to the home screen when an app is purchased. Instead, it downloads in the background, making the purchase of multiple apps much easier.

Apple still requires passwords for apps that cost money, and for in-app purchases -- though the 15-minute grace period allowing users to purchase multiple apps after entering the password once still applies.

Update: Apple appears to have reversed this change. When downloading a new free app, Apple now requires users enter their Apple ID password again before proceeding.

Article Link: iOS 6 Beta Removes Requirement to Enter Password to Download Free Apps and Upgrades [Updated]

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
thank god, this is so annoying

but wasnt that already posted a while ago?

edit: is this how the new appstore looks? reminds me of the google play store ...

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
This is a welcome change to be sure. I just hope there won't be any security flaws that can be exploited.

Same thought ... Hope the install button still need to get pressed and don't work just with a link.

I like it for updates but for install a password still nice; also helps that the kids not messing up while you are to watching.

honjoe

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2012
It's about fudging time, also it would be cool if they could allow you to pick the folder where the app is installed.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
... which looks like the desktop iTunes store. Why didn't you think of that? Can't you see it's borrowed from the desktop iTunes store? Don't immediately jump to the android conclusion.

huh? the iTunes Store on my Mac does not look like that

---
can apple stick to one UI design please? what happened to consistence, its all over the place.

Jimmy James

macrumors 603
Oct 26, 2008
Magicland
Great. Now the pranksters at work can use up my data allotment by doing app updates when I'm not looking.

I'll have to set a lock screen pw which is much more annoying.

baleensavage

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2005
On an island in Maine
This is a welcome change, however, I hope they put the granular control in the parental controls. I'd love to be able to let my kids update their own apps, but I don't want them installing any old free app. Judging from Apple's parental control track record though, I'm sure it will still be just "allow them to install apps" or "don't allow them to install apps." The all or nothing approach to parental controls on iPods has been one of my biggest complaints about iOS. Considering how popular iPods and iPhones are with kids, you would think Apple would have improved the parental controls to at least give you more than the bare minimum options it has now.

Mjmar

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2008
When the page loaded my first thought was "why is there a picture of the android app store?"

Astro7x

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2010
Installation of apps should still be behind a password. You don't want your kids installing something you don't want on there, even if it is free.

Agreed, hopefully parental controls will still restrict it if we want.

Duke&tank

macrumors member
Feb 15, 2009
From what i recall this is new i downloaded a free app with beta 2 and it asked for my password. now with updates that was a different story no password needed from beta 1.

Aaron

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.