Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nvbrit

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2007
Reno, NV
Installation of apps should still be behind a password. You don't want your kids installing something you don't want on there, even if it is free.

I think even now there is an option to require password every time, i'm sure that won't change for people who want to always use the password.

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
BTW, the new UI is kinda ugly!

I personally like it. Apple seems to be trying to remove glossy from all UI, which I like. Next on the list should be the icons. Glossy UI elements everywhere is starting to feel very 2006, it reminds me of the beginning of Web 2.0.

Web2Icons_600.jpg

stock-vector-vector-illustration-of-cool-glossy-single-emoticon-76785037.jpg

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Hey and it only took Apple 6 iOS generations to figure out how to do it. Bravo! (Looking forward to it, but really, it shouldn't have taken Apple this long to figure out it annoys customers and is silly since no $ is changing hands.)

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
I personally like it. Apple seems to be trying to remove glossy from all UI, which I like. Next on the list should be the icons. Glossy UI elements everywhere is starting to feel very 2006, it reminds me of the beginning of Web 2.0.

that new store design however looks tots like the android market :eek:

/slightly off topic
I'm not running iOS 6, but from that screenshot I see 2 things that bug me. A) why has top charts been moved one to the left? Just turn categories into genius... and B) now you can only view 4 apps at a time, opposed to 5. seems to be going backwards.. (although on the longer iPhone 5 screen, I'm sure that'll move back up to 5)

dethmaShine

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2010
Into the lungs of Hell
People need to understand why this was posted after the third beta. Simply because in the first two betas, you had to enter your password to download free apps but there was no such requirement for upgrades. Since beta 3, the requirement has been remove for free apps. Simply the reason for this post.

2 Replies

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2010
Good.
Considering desktop version of iTunes does this, there's little reason the mobile version shouldn't be consistent with the desktop's behavior.

FrauHasSpoken

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2010
This is a welcome change, however, I hope they put the granular control in the parental controls. I'd love to be able to let my kids update their own apps, but I don't want them installing any old free app. Judging from Apple's parental control track record though, I'm sure it will still be just "allow them to install apps" or "don't allow them to install apps." The all or nothing approach to parental controls on iPods has been one of my biggest complaints about iOS. Considering how popular iPods and iPhones are with kids, you would think Apple would have improved the parental controls to at least give you more than the bare minimum options it has now.

maybe you should be parenting them instead of apple.

Mad-B-One

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2011
San Antonio, Texas
Great. Now the pranksters at work can use up my data allotment by doing app updates when I'm not looking.

I'll have to set a lock screen pw which is much more annoying.

3 ways around that:

1 log into WiFi if possible

2 restriction in settings (to switch this, you need PW)

3 keep your phone on you

If that doesn't work, don't worry too much - 50MB is max on cellular network for an app. :D

In return, you can switch on Roaming on the prankster's phone and connect via WiFi to complete the downloads.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
He brings Android into most of his comments. One should just simply ignore.

yet i dont own/never owned a single android device :rolleyes:

... fanboys, loving my iDevices does not mean i can't be objective instead of blindly approve of everything they do

Last edited:

unlimitedx

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
Great. Now the pranksters at work can use up my data allotment by doing app updates when I'm not looking.

I'll have to set a lock screen pw which is much more annoying.

i would think that pranksters would have more creative things to do to your iphone if you don't have a lockscreen password to begin with, than to update your apps

b_scott

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2008
finally.

Can iOS6 allow subscription to podcasts as well? Because it's not truly PC/Mac free until you can do that.

cclloyd

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2011
Alpha Centauri A
To be honest, I would still rather have it require a pssword for downloading free apps for the first time. That way my friend or anyone that picks up my phone doesn't download a ton of apps that always get downloaded to iTunes.

ScottHammet

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2011
iTunes Too?

Did this change in iTunes already? I downloaded a free app today and noticed that it didn't prompt me for my Apple ID or password.

marcusj0015

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2011
U.S.A.
Installation of apps should still be behind a password. You don't want your kids installing something you don't want on there, even if it is free.

Why not? It's not like there's anything bad on the appstore, and if it means that much to you, stop giving the damn thing to your kids. Or password protect the appstore. there's dozens of ways to solve your problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.