Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
Original poster
May 21, 2012
No wonder developers love iOS more than android. You got fragmentation in one hand, and crooks in the other.

http://www.cultofmac.com/180345/android-piracy-is-so-bad-you-cant-even-charge-for-apps-anymore/

If you thought the iOS App Store had issues with piracy, think again. The Google Play store, home to over 500,000 Android apps, is in a much worse position. Apparently, piracy on the Android platform is such an issue that developers are, in a sense, beginning to give up.
The developers behind Dead Trigger, an FPS available on both Android and iOS, have decided to give up the fight, and are now making the popular game completely free on Google Play, due to the outrageous piracy.
Originally priced at only $0.99 in order to get the game into as many hands as possible, Dead Trigger was still subject to an “unbelievably high” piracy rate. With the game itself now free, Madfinger Games has promised not to go the “freemium” route, avoiding in-app purchases.
Interestingly enough, the game remains available on the iOS App Store for the same $0.99. It’s no wonder developers still choose iOS first.

Read more at http://www.cultofmac.com/180345/and...-charge-for-apps-anymore/#0YCjCr3btMAoQ2A5.99

Mac.World

macrumors 68000
Jan 9, 2011
In front of uranus
Yeah, because there is no pirating of iOS apps and games, right?

Let's see. A quick check of Installous... And yep, a $7 game for free, right on the front page.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Yes, because NOBODY is getting Apps for free from Installous in Cydia :rolleyes:

I tried a $500?(i forget if it was even more) app for free from Installous and you know what? The App sucked and there was no way to get a refund had i actually paid that ridiculous price.

$500.......are you kidding me?

Sensamic

macrumors 68030
Mar 26, 2010
Please technarchy. Not you too. Don't become one of those stupid idiot mindless fanboys. I'll have to avoid all your posts because they are worthless.

Are you 16?

Such a shame... poor guy...

You can do better...

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
I wanna know what this $500 app was...

I dont remember the name of it. I havent used my iPhone for over two years but i believe it was an app that lets you connect to surveilance cameras. Im not kidding on the price. I couldnt believe it when i went to it in the actual app store.

I doubt it is there anymore but you can check Apps for tapping into surveilance cameras. It has to be cheaper if it is there. I cant imagine any fool paying that price for an App.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
Original poster
May 21, 2012
Yeah, because there is no pirating of iOS apps and games, right?

Let's see. A quick check of Installous... And yep, a $7 game for free, right on the front page.

True. If it is digital it can be pirated, but this is just another reason why iOS is the developer mobile OS of choice.

It explains a lot about the android demographic in general when developers dont even bother trying to charge, or just make their products nasty ad-ware.

Infinity Blade was Epic's most profitable game ever. Had it been on android only it would not have been a success at all.

Screen-shot-2012-04-19-at-12.04.37-PM.png

piper-111121.jpg

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
True. If it is digital it can be pirated, but this is just another reason why iOS is the developer mobile OS of choice.

It explains a lot about the android demographic in general when developers dont even bother trying to charge, or just make their products nasty ad-ware.

Infinity Blade was Epic's most profitable game ever. Had it been on android only it would not have been a success at all.

Who cares, there are plenty of Apps in the Android market that are on both platforms and plenty on both i dont use and you can get free Apps on both that are pirated. If i like it, ill pay.

One thing you fail to mention is that you can get a refund on Android even if the window is small. You cannot on iTunes and what if your stuck with that $500 crappy App?
Look dude, i know you didnt like Android for whatever reason...whether it be the phones or you not knowing what your doing, i dont know and dont care but you are getting as bad as Bobby.

Enjoy your iPhone and small screen. Thats cool and fine with me. I dont care but who really cares about this topic. I sure dont! There are over 500,000 Apps, i think i can find the ones i need whether they cost or not.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
You realize it was an add-on for an enterprise building security system, right? It wasn't aimed at consumers. $500 for enterprise-targeted software isn't unheard of at all.

BS, thats your speculation. It was in the App store for anyone to buy.
Funny you dont even know what the App was and your telling me this? :rolleyes:

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Sure, people are... But out of all the iDevice owners, how many of them jailbreak? Out out of the people that do jailbreak, how many of them stoop to pirating $1 apps?

Considering all the kids in here who always talk about getting something for free to fix their phone they screwed up ...id say plenty.

B777Forevar

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2011
Chicago, IL
But out of all the iDevice owners, how many of them jailbreak?

When the last jailbreak was released back in Jan, nearly 1 million iDevices (iPad, iPhone, etc) was jailbroken in 3 days (source)

You got fragmentation in one hand, and crooks in the other.

iPad 1 not getting iOS6 while the 3G gets it, also installous and whatever they are using nowadays to steal apps.

tit for tat. This isn't only a Android issue.

also, 6/10 for making me reply

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
BS, thats your speculation. It was in the App store for anyone to buy.
Funny you dont even know what the App was and your telling me this? :rolleyes:

It probably was for business use, not consumer use. The app costs $500 and it allows you to view security surveillance systems - Sounds like enterprise stuff to me :)

Renzatic

Suspended
I dont remember the name of it. I havent used my iPhone for over two years but i believe it was an app that lets you connect to surveilance cameras. Im not kidding on the price. I couldnt believe it when i went to it in the actual app store.

I doubt it is there anymore but you can check Apps for tapping into surveilance cameras. It has to be cheaper if it is there. I cant imagine any fool paying that price for an App.

Really? I set up surveillance systems as part of my job, and the app I use to view them over the iPhone cost about 5 bucks or so.

Unless it's some proprietary viewer used by some achingly high end government contract type IP cam setup, or it's used to somehow break into the video feeds, I can't think of a single reason why a remote viewer app would cost that much.

...now I really wanna know what it is. :p

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
I saw it when it was available and read the description. Here, I Googled it: http://www.businessinsider.com/the-10-most-expensive-iphone-apps-2009-8?op=1

"iRa Pro and iRa Direct are used to view and manage super-expensive enterprise surveillance camera installations."

And of course it was in the app store for anyone to buy. Apple doesn't provide a way to target apps to private audiences.

Could be that one, i really dont remember the name of it. It has been quite a while. There is another one in that link for $349. I have seen a handful of very expensive Apps though that were ripe for pirating from Installous.

Last edited:

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
When the last jailbreak was released back in Jan, nearly 1 million iDevices (iPad, iPhone, etc) was jailbroken in 3 days (source)

Firstly, a large amount of those jailbreaks would have been from people who were just jailbreaking it to unlock it from their carrier - And out of those remaining, I doubt a big enough number of them pirate apps to make a significant difference to the iOS App industry. It doesn't seem to be a problem, unlike Android's App industry.

Renzatic

Suspended
Could be that one, i really dont remember the name of it. It has been quite a while.

Should've read the other replies.

I also found this

...which is just ridiculous. Maybe it was a huge thing back when the iPhone was new, and the developer never bothered lowering the price once the better, cheaper alternatives started showing up.

Then again, it does encrypt the video stream, which none of the viewers I use do. Maybe that's why it's so expensive. Who knows.

B777Forevar

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2011
Chicago, IL
Firstly, a large amount of those jailbreaks would have been from people who were just jailbreaking it to unlock it from their carrier - And out of those remaining, I doubt a big enough number of them pirate apps to make a significant difference to the iOS App industry. It doesn't seem to be a problem, unlike Android's App industry.

the iPhone 4s wasn't unlockable back then by ultrasn0w back then, nor the iPhone 4 (well it was, but only in iOS 4.0-4.0X) when that jailbreak was released.

You are probably correct that piracy probably doesn't make a dent on the App Store, it's still a problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.