Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

caligomez

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2011
San Juan, PR
I'm in the market for a spec'd out MBA 13".. Haven't pulled the trigger, waiting t see if this announcement is true. I would be kicking myself if a 13" rMBP came out a month after I got a $1,699 Air..

Which makes me think, why would Apple would be doing this? Cannibalizing its higher end 13" Airs, after just a couple of months of being released. Am I alone on this? From a consumer point of view, it just seems like I should wait on my decision after hearing this. Therefore, I don't believe this could be another one of Apple's "misinformation" campaigns.

j1huynh

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2012
will it have 1280 by 800 as "best for retina" for the 13 rmbp or will it be something higher? Any thoughts?

MacinDoc

macrumors 68020
Mar 22, 2004
The Great White North
the retina macbook pro does have a glass protecting the screen remeber 60% less reflective.. what are you talking about ???
From Apple:
This Retina display doesn’t sit behind a layer of glass, it is the glass.
Which is not to say that there is no glass, but rather, that the glass is an integral part of the display, as opposed to previous models, which have a separate panel of glass that rests on top of the display.

Lamination issues could relate to something that is layered on top of or within the display that reduces the glare, as you have stated.

LYFK

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2007
This is getting ridiculous...

I just ordered an ultimate 13" Air 10min ago, when I read this post and now I've cancelled the order. That's got to be a record of some sort.

I have to go back to school in Sep, and I'm not even sure how good a 1st gen 13" rMBP would be, but one thing's for sure, I can't handle rumor stress!

Rocketman

macrumors 603
I anticipate a huge sucking sound as currencies from all over the world rush toward Cupertino and their offshore business centers. This is a huge range of very advanced updates. Not bad for a "consumer product company".

Rocketman

j0EFA

Attachments

• roflbot.jpg
    roflbot.jpg
    164.5 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:

MacinDoc

macrumors 68020
Mar 22, 2004
The Great White North
When are new Mac Minis coming out?
These predictions are worryingly silent on the Mini. No reason why it couldn't come out at the same time as the next gen. 13" MBP. We may be nearing the end of the road for the Mini.

----------

I just want a new Mac mini with Ivy and USB 3.0. Is that too much to ask?
See above. For better or worse, Apple is moving to increasingly integrated products. The Mini doesn't fit that profile. Nor does the Mac Pro, for that matter, and I think that in spite of Apple's protestations, the Mini will be EOL in 2012 and the Mac Pro in 2014 (the latter getting one last upgrade in 2013).

Last edited:

Mike Valmike

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2012
Chandler, Arizona
Granted, this is a better source than DigiTimes, but it still seems really implausible that Apple would launch Mac hardware in the shadow of the spotlight on the new iPhone.

iMcLovin

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2009
a new ipad this year, doubtful...

When Tim Cook says "we have a lot to look forward to in 2012", and nearly nothing happens the first 8 months, he´s deliberately torturing his fans :cool:

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
And still no Pro's? I guess the 2013 date looks pretty accurate now. I love my iMac, it's the main workhorse but it's max spec, and my logical upgrade is to a NEW Pro. I won't be moved either..Ivy-Bridge, yes that's pretty obvious, and I'm not surprised he doesn't commit himself to retina...How much would an equivalent retina 27" cost me?:eek:

adam.mc

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2012
Jam Packed

That's a lot of updates for a lot of devices in only a 1-2 month period. Wouldn't it make more sense for it to be spread out further? If only they could get some of this stuff out for "back to school" time. I know I'm ready to throw some money at them for a new iMac.... have been for nearly a year... hope to see something that'll make it worth the wait.

I'm not sold on retina yet either... I don't want to allocate that significant amount of my CPU and GPU to retina which would in turn decrease overall performance. I need that boost for design and rendering. In other words, I don't want to wait around all day while looking at a pretty screen with the loading wheel on it...

I'm ready now... not 2 months after my motion graphics classes start ;)

just needed to get my two cents in I guess

Last edited:

Mad Sativa

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2012
I'm sorry, but what does MoM mean?

"will see the most dramatic MoM rise in August as shipments for the new iMac begin"

sitsonthefence

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2012
London, UK
I'm sorry, but what does MoM mean?

"will see the most dramatic MoM rise in August as shipments for the new iMac begin"

Month on month, I think

----------

And still no Pro's? I guess the 2013 date looks pretty accurate now. I love my iMac, it's the main workhorse but it's max spec, and my logical upgrade is to a NEW Pro. I won't be moved either..Ivy-Bridge, yes that's pretty obvious, and I'm not surprised he doesn't commit himself to retina...How much would an equivalent retina 27" cost me?:eek:

I just wonder how much processing power would be needed to match my current 27" iMac if the screen went retina...

Can't see it happening this year as a result..

mrbyu

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2011
Good for you guys who can buy a new Mac every two years, just because your "maxed out" previous MBP or Air is not enough anymore... :) I'm gonna stay with my 2011 MBA 13" until 2014-2015 at least, but I wish you will enjoy your new Retina Pros .-)

Mad Sativa

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2012
6 products in a 4-5 week time period? That doesn't sound very apple like. It sounds more like a base covering attempt.

HarryKNN21

macrumors regular
May 25, 2012
Hong Kong
If Apple again sacrifice the optic bay in favor of a full width logic board, installing a discrete GPU shouldn't have any difficulty.

I believe Apple would give 13" rMBP a discrete GPU, if not what's the difference between it and a MBA with Retina Display?

SchneiderMan

macrumors G3
May 25, 2008
No chance. The 15-inch RMBP will be the one and only portable Retina Mac. I can see an iMac and even a Retina external display, but smaller MacBooks? That would be stupid of Apple.

macnerd93

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2009
United Kingdom
I might have to try and buy an iMac before this apparent retina update. As much as I like the retina display it just seems a bit of style over actual function since the graphics chips in the rMBP where never designed to run a display with that many pixels. I can imagine it being a total waste of resources, which I could better use rendering in iMovie, FCP or Aperture.

Although personally I cant really see a rMBP 13'' since it would just take sales away directly from Apples new flagship product.

HarryKNN21

macrumors regular
May 25, 2012
Hong Kong
No chance. The 15-inch RMBP will be the one and only portable Retina Mac. I can see an iMac and even a Retina external display, but smaller MacBooks? That would be stupid of Apple.

In the end of the day all MacBook will require HD display in order to stay in the market, and Retina Display has more pixel than current full HD display. Thus what can prove your theory is true?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.