Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Been thinking of getting it

Do i need an HD TV to use it? I have hdmi on my TV but no HD

Would i be able to watch NBA games through my TV vis the Nba.tv app? Or sky go through my Tv? Same with bbc iplayer

How do i contact it to my phone? Will the apple Tv just pick my iphone up?

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
You have to use an HDMI cable to hook it to your TV...if you have HDMI you have an HD tv. NBA TV will cost you money just like MLB TV. To hook your phone to ATV you just use airplay. It shows up on you phone when you are on the same wifi network. It only mirrors video or streams musoc, not the actual phone like a Mac would with ML

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
It does mirror the phone screen, but I think it only works with the 4S.

Regardless, I do think you need at least a 720p TV, which the OP says he doesn't have. So short of a TV upgrade, I don't think an Apple TV will work.

Hmm I didn't know it mirrored the screen. Are you sure about this, I thought that was only ipads and macs. I never have seen the airplay button on my home screen. If the OP has HDMI he has to have at least 720p

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Double-click to bring up the switcher. Swipe right (to go left) and find the rotation lock button. Then swipe again to find the volume slider.

If you're currently connected to an Apple TV you'll see a sharing button there. If you're not, the button doesn't appear.

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
Hmm I didn't know it mirrored the screen. Are you sure about this, I thought that was only ipads and macs. I never have seen the airplay button on my home screen. If the OP has HDMI he has to have at least 720p

My 4S mirrors. Don't really use it but its there.

kemperman

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2009
UK
It was a short-lived fad known as "EDTV." It was a way to sell slightly better TVs to people back when HD sets started at over $2,000.

Once HD prices came down, EDTV lost its reason to exist.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enhanced-definition_television

As the OP lives in the UK he would not have an EDTV (US only fad).

I would think he is confused between HD and FullHD (720p vs 1080p) which was another marketing craze created to make the gullible upgrade their 6 month old TV to FullHD a few years back, glad you didn't fall for it OP, pretty sure you have a 720p HDTV if you have HDMI and bought it in the UK!

sandman42

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2003
Seattle
When the original :apple:TV first came out it was commonly misunderstood that it required an HDTV, but at the time Apple only said that it had to be a widescreen TV, not HD, and the menu had settings for 480. The current tech specs for the :apple:TV say: Compatible with high-definition TVs with HDMI and capable of 1080p or 720p at 60/50Hz, so the current version may not work for you.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK
After doing some research it appears we do have a HD TV as having 3 options on HDMI means it must be one duh

I'm guessing iPhone and iPad it would work the same in terms of being on the screen for every app? The big reason to get it would be for the NBA so instead of watching it on my iPad or iPhone through the nba.tv app would be great to watch it on the tv Just need confirmation that I would be able to?

Thanks alot for your help guys

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
After doing some research it appears we do have a HD TV as having 3 options on HDMI means it must be one duh

I'm guessing iPhone and iPad it would work the same in terms of being on the screen for every app? The big reason to get it would be for the NBA so instead of watching it on my iPad or iPhone through the nba.tv app would be great to watch it on the tv Just need confirmation that I would be able to?

Thanks alot for your help guys

My dad had an old LG TV with and HDMI port and it wasn't a HDTV.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Just do you research the nba app is not even on my atv3 I'm in Canada so it might be US only

Well our nba.tv app you could watch every game live via league pass on iPhone and iPad. So,hopefully it would be fine on the tv via apple TV

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.