Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ET iPhone Home

macrumors 68040
Oct 5, 2011
Orange County, California USA
I got it! See solution below...

How to fix this problem if it comes up:

1) double it home button and kill the messaging app
2) open the messaging app
3) delete the message that says "Unknown"
- do not close the app...
4) after the message thread is deleted, hold the top lock screen button & then slide the button to turn off phone.
5) wait a few min and turn back on..
6) double it home button and kill the messaging app again
7) open messaging app again and boom.... gone!

This was what I was trying to convey above in a comment for you to go your Home Screen and turn off the MSG APP. But you were able to figure the rest - happy days are here again.

ScottN10

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2012
I followed those instructions and it keeps showing up? anyone else have this problem or know other ways of fixing it?

thanks

Antiflagtuzo

macrumors member
Dec 5, 2010
this happened to me with my iPhone but only with people using iMessage. i think it happens when someone with imessage starts writing to you and then regrets and doesn't actually send it.

olletsocmit

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
USA
I followed those instructions and it keeps showing up? anyone else have this problem or know other ways of fixing it?

thanks

What I posted worked for me.. Try going to settings, and then disable iMessage, delete it, then enable again

TaylorMB

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2012
I am having the weirdest thing happen to my iPhone 4S i have ever seen before. Its almost like its a virus! There is a test message in my inbox that just said "Unknown" and nothing more. It keeps coming back, have reset my phone, deleted it, deleted all messages, wiped inbox, etc. please see pics below.

When i go to the Messaging app I see this (note the one that says Unknown)

now I delete the message, and you see that its gone below:

I now go to the home screen and then open the messaging app again.... and boom, its right back there.

It does not matter what I do, its keeps coming right back....

This is what it looks like if I open the message... there is not there..

My phone did the same thing! But it sent a message "hey" to the unknown number! It has done it twice but the message failed both times. It has randomly popped up twice in the past few weeks.

Paartha

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2012
"unknown" blank messages on iphone solution

I have been getting this 4 last three days and I was annoyed:mad: badly by that. Later when I tried to analyse, I noticed that message sent by my friends are received to me as "unknown" and they are blank too. This can be bug in IOS 6 coz I didn't have this problem in my previous IOS versions or it can be a virus too.
However here is how you can solve this "unknown" with blank message problem in iphone. It worked for me(I am a iphone 4, IOS 6 user)
Step 1: Call your mobile operator
Step 2: Ask them for your SMS center number and dial code to identify your present SMS center number(There will be a format like **5005*7672# to dial, which will display your current SMS center number)
Step 3: Check if your current SMS center number and your service provider specified SMS center number are same.
Step 4: If not same, There should be a dial code to change your SMS center number(You can get that dial code from your service provider)
Step 5: Make sure your SMS center number is right.
Step 6: Now call back your service provider and ask them reset your network
Step 7: After they have reset, you can restart your ihpone (Switch off and on) and you should be able to get messages properly and no more "Unknwon" blank messages.

Restoring your phone is not required in this case. Enjoy iphoning :cool:

Minhimalism

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2012
Texas
I smell a new movie franchise coming on.. iHaunt. Then eventually we can have nice things like iHaunt 5- the best haunt to come since iHaunt.

Cam.Heidenreich

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2012
Nope, stock iPhone 4s. I have iOS 5.1.1 (newest version). It just happened 2 days ago outta the blue and won't go away now.

Same thing is happening to me! However I am actually recieving messages from this "unknown" that I am not able to reply to. Says. "message send failure" yes, iOS 5.1.1 messaging app.. And these messages are not from things I recognize either. It's very strange.

Last edited:

Cam.Heidenreich

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2012
animstart934140755 is the number it says when I try to FaceTime. Well a number differs but the animstart is consistent..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.