Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kkinto

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 29, 2011
Deja vu here with my eSata PCI card - Lion install moved them (SiliconImage3132.kext, SiCoreService) to the incompatible software folder and so those two HDs didn't mount, just like snow leopard did in its day!

Anyone know if an update for this is pending or going to be a similar wait as it was last time?

thx :(

amagpoc

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2010
esata expresscard on lion

did the same for me when lion installed. so i downloaded the lacie driver and esata card works now. but mine is a expresscard. so i put the link for pci card. it shouldn't matter on the brand as they are the same card for different manufacturers.

express card driver:
http://www.lacie.com/us/support/drivers/driver.htm?id=10186

pci driver:
http://www.lacie.com/us/support/drivers/driver.htm?id=10093

hope this works for you too.

Warning. The system display was glitching, with program crashes but thought it was a particular program I was using but it turns out I did a clean install of lion and opted to not install the esata drivers. All is good but will have to live without the esata card for now.

Last edited:

Magrathea

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2008
Hanging / crashing

Seems like this driver is wreaking havoc with my system. Hanging Finder and entire machine. THink it happens when the machine sleeps?

Anyone? I have one of these cheapie esata cards with this chipset.

subaqua

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2008
Minneapolis
same problem

same problem here; drivers worked fine through all the pre-releases of Lion but the GM version was the first time it was marked incompatible.

I've tried the Lacie driver but that didn't work for me.

Which eSATA cards are the "best supported" by apple for an older Mac Pro?

Since I have a 2008 Mac Pro, eSATA is the most cost effective and highest performing option for some of my disks now. What about the HighPoint brand cards that Apple sells on the online store? Are they any good? What about Sonnet ?

Outrider

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2007
Newmarket ON
This is a consistent problem with any card using Silicon Image

I can no longer connect to my Drobo via eSATA because the two cards that Drobo "approves" both use the Silicon Image chipset. I spoke to LaCie and they say that they are working on the driver issue. So LaCie and Sonnet are out. Allegedly the Sonnet E4P card works with Lion but it's really expensive as is the LaCie 4 port and there is no word on the operability of the LaCie card.

To the gentleman who asked about the Highpoint cards sold by Apple, I had already done some research on these and based on incredibly poor reliability reviews and non-existent technical support, I've decided to stay away as the reputation is so poor.

I hope that Sonnet gets their s*** in order soon. I am tired of trying different cards to discover that I remain S*** out of luck

mattbisme

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2007
Works for Multiple cards!

Thank you!

This worked for my IOGear PCI Express card (which never had any official Mac drivers)! As a bonus, these drivers also worked for my StarTech.com Mini-PCI Express card that I just installed into my Hackintosh.

It appears as though these drivers will work with any device with a Silicon Image Sil3132 based chipset.

Great find!

My Wiebetech Teracard express/34 started working on Lion after I installed the Sonnet Tempo drivers.

here:
http://www.sonnettech.com/support/kb/kb.php?cat=345&expand=&action=a3#a3

"Tempo SATA E2P, Tempo SATA Edge ExpressCard/34 and Tempo SATA ExpressCard/34 Driver (OS X 10.5+) 1.2.5"

almostasian

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2011
I bought a MP (Mac Pro 3,1) used with a backup G RAID which connects via eSata. I updated to 10.7.2 when I got it home. I haven't been able to connect anything through the eSata port since then. I was looking for maybe a driver update when I got here.

I saw this when I got here - The quote below describes exactly what's been going on with my system (other than not being able to connect the esata)! I thought it was not enough memory or maybe the graphics card.... but I'm not a tech head, I need a layman's version of what this means! What do I do?

Warning. The system display was glitching, with program crashes but thought it was a particular program I was using but it turns out I did a clean install of lion and opted to not install the esata drivers. All is good but will have to live without the esata card for now.

mattbisme

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2007
If you are using a 3rd party eSATA card, make sure you are using the most recent drivers. Also, the drivers being talked about in this tread are specifically for Silicon Image chips. You'll need to make sure you're card uses the same chipset.

At best, get updated drivers from the manufacturers website.

I bought a MP (Mac Pro 3,1) used with a backup G RAID which connects via eSata. I updated to 10.7.2 when I got it home. I haven't been able to connect anything through the eSata port since then. I was looking for maybe a driver update when I got here.

I saw this when I got here - The quote below describes exactly what's been going on with my system (other than not being able to connect the esata)! I thought it was not enough memory or maybe the graphics card.... but I'm not a tech head, I need a layman's version of what this means! What do I do?

Fanaios

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2011
esata expresscard on lion

I have a DLock xpress34 card using the Silicon Image 3132 chip.
Was worked fine with Lion the first week, than it was a Kernel panic the moment inserting the card with the HD already running on it. After that moment was not able to appear on Lions screen.
Now is working again with this trick: after restarting, clearing the bios memory, with pressed the the keys (Alt+Command + R+P) i used a 4 USB card with its own power supply, on the Xpress slot, to mount an Hard Drive. after that i restarted with the Si3132 slot inserted with the HD already running on it and is working still now.
I think we need an Lion updated driver by Silicon Image! Last one was released on 2010.

By the moment, SOMEBODY KNOWS THE PATH OF THE DRAWER CONTAINING THE "UNCOMPATIBLE FILES" ON MAC?

Last edited:

stcraw4d

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2011
I know I'm bumping an old post, but I'm having a problem with this, too. I'm having problems with the Sonnet equipment.

Quick background, I purchased the Express Card/34 Thunderbolt Adapter and Tempo SATA Edge ExpressCard/34 to connect my Drobo S to my iMac at home. I was unable to download the driver from the included disc - nor was I allowed to download it from Sonnet's website.

When I click the installer .pkg file from my home computer, it's greyed out and gives an error message about a BOM being moved.

When I click the exact same file from my work computer, it launches just fine.

My specs are:

Home computer: imac i7, 3.4GHz, 16GB Ram, OSX 10.7.3

Work Computer: 2x2.4 Quad Core Intel Xeon, 6GB RAM, OSX 10.6.8

So, I'm obviously assuming it's a computer issue. But, I've never had any other issues installing at home. I'm attaching images of the differences for reference.

The correct install pkg icon is work computer - the white doc icon is at home.

Ideas?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-03-19 at 10.02.15 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-03-19 at 10.02.15 PM.png
    27 KB · Views: 484
  • Screen Shot 2012-03-20 at 10.16.37 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-03-20 at 10.16.37 PM.png
    78.6 KB · Views: 776
  • Screen shot 2012-03-21 at 8.36.35 AM.png
    Screen shot 2012-03-21 at 8.36.35 AM.png
    133.8 KB · Views: 659

Alameda

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2012
It would be a big help to get just some basic details:
1) Did anybody get the SiI3132 to work properly in Mountain Lion (and stay working)?
2) Whether it works or not -- what Mac hardware are you using with it?
3) Besides the driver getting unloaded, any other problems?
4) Are you sure this is with latest Silicon Image driver from the website?

If its just a matter of getting the driver signed, that should be reasonably quick. Let me know if it seems to be something else. Yes, I have friends there, but no, I'm not their tech support resource.

Last edited:

niclet

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2007
45.5200000, -73.5600000
With Mountain Lion...

Anyone found a driver that works with Mountain Lion? The 1.2.5 one from Silicon Image's website doesn't work. :(

Hey! voyagerd, it work well with the Sonnet's #146 aka "Tempo SATA E2P, Tempo SATA Edge ExpressCard/34 and Tempo SATA ExpressCard/34 Driver (OS X 10.5+) 1.2.6"

I'm on Mountain Lion and had to reinstall the driver but instead of the 1.2.5 on the Silicon Image's web page, I dl directly the 1.2.6 on the Sonnet's support page and it work perfectly.

(http://www.sonnettech.com/support/kb/kb.php?cat=345&expand=&action=a3#a3)

The only thing, is the security setting in System Preferences, wouldn't allow me to install the driver because «the developer isn't listed». I had to set it to allow everything and then it would let me install it. After reboot, I set back the security config as it was before.

Hope this help.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
Anyone found a driver that works with Mountain Lion? The 1.2.5 one from Silicon Image's website doesn't work. :(

Silicon Image basically dropped OSX support on all of these as of Lion. It was most likely not cost effective to continue supporting OSX. This pretty much applies to anything using their chipsets. Really eSATA has never been that amazing. It worked because it was cheap and firewire went stagnant. The third party card market relies on margins that are somewhat slim, and with usb3 out on Macs + no real improvements planned to the eSATA standard, I don't see it holding out much longer.

voyagerd

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2002
Rancho Cordova, CA
Silicon Image basically dropped OSX support on all of these as of Lion. It was most likely not cost effective to continue supporting OSX. This pretty much applies to anything using their chipsets. Really eSATA has never been that amazing. It worked because it was cheap and firewire went stagnant. The third party card market relies on margins that are somewhat slim, and with usb3 out on Macs + no real improvements planned to the eSATA standard, I don't see it holding out much longer.

That's unfortunately true, however my three external hard drives are all eSATA and I need eSATA to plug in drives on my desktop easily.

----------

Hey! voyagerd, it work well with the Sonnet's #146 aka "Tempo SATA E2P, Tempo SATA Edge ExpressCard/34 and Tempo SATA ExpressCard/34 Driver (OS X 10.5+) 1.2.6"

I'm on Mountain Lion and had to reinstall the driver but instead of the 1.2.5 on the Silicon Image's web page, I dl directly the 1.2.6 on the Sonnet's support page and it work perfectly.

(http://www.sonnettech.com/support/kb/kb.php?cat=345&expand=&action=a3#a3)

The only thing, is the security setting in System Preferences, wouldn't allow me to install the driver because «the developer isn't listed». I had to set it to allow everything and then it would let me install it. After reboot, I set back the security config as it was before.

Hope this help.

I saw that driver and thought about trying it. I guess I'll give it a try tonight!

Jhearn11

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2012
Did you have to uninstall the old drivers before trying the new ones in mountain lion? If so, how did you do it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.