Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NoExpectations

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2008
By that time Apple was halfway through their project, with no one wanting their phone, so AT&T was able to force an incredibly long exclusive... which, as it turned out, gave Android plenty of room to gain a foothold in the US, that might otherwise not have happened.

If I recall from the headlines, the original deal was 2 years. It was extended a year when AT&T offered incredible subsidies to Apple and then it was extended another 6 months when AT&T offered real low data rates on the first iPad.

Makos62

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2010
Question is, if iPhones make up 73%, then why is AT&T trying so hard to drive iPhones users away? It seems that anyone who has even the smallest amount of information that ATT&T has released publicly, then their board really should have look towards new leadership.

kalex

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2007
Thats absurd and completely discredits anything you have to say. AT&T only started doing upgrades when other carriers started getting iPhones?? AT&T did no upgrades during the first three years of their exclusive? LOL, that has to be the dumbest post I have seen in awhile....

Go back and research. They only started upgrading after they were loosing exclusive. Here in NYC att use to be horrendous with dropped calls and slow data. Then they started their grand upgrade plan which still sucks but better than it was before.

I actually did find dumbest post - its the one i replied to :)

Macboy Pro

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2011
Go back and research. They only started upgrading after they were loosing exclusive. Here in NYC att use to be horrendous with dropped calls and slow data. Then they started their grand upgrade plan which still sucks but better than it was before.

You can't be serious. You think that AT&T did no upgrades or buildout of their network for 3 years. I don't need to research anything, that statement is as stupid as the day is long. This isn't a mom and pop shop on the corner. Its the one of the biggest telecom companies ever. LOL

kalex

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2007
You can't be serious. You think that AT&T did no upgrades or buildout of their network for 3 years. I don't need to research anything, that statement is as stupid as the day is long. This isn't a mom and pop shop on the corner. Its the one of the biggest telecom companies ever. LOL

Again no facts just outbursts. No point of arguing

kdarling

macrumors P6

AT&T started upgrading before that, but they had a couple of major problems that slowed them down:

First, Apple came out with a non-3G model the first year, at a time when any major smartphone had 3G. This meant that AT&T had to pause 3G deployment for almost a half year while they instead built up their old 2G network to have higher EDGE speeds that wouldn't be as embarrassing as the ~ 30-80 Kbps that was common at the time.

Second, AT&T had planned their entire radio network around GSM/TDMA radios, and thus were unprepared for moving to UMTS-3G/WCDMA cell technology, which in many cases required closer cells to prevent dropped calls as those cells breathed in during higher usage. They later admitted to this and used it to excuse their delay.

You're right that it seemed to take forever for them to do something about NYC, and even when they did it backfired at first. When they enabled different frequencies that penetrated buildings better, all the extra calls that were suddenly available took a toll on data speeds. They also publicly talked about that.

They seem to be finally on a pretty good track, at least as far as major cities go.

Macboy Pro

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2011
Again no facts just outbursts. No point of arguing

DUDE, you claimed AT&T was static for 3 years. Its absurd! But since you want to be embarrassed, here is a link that indicates the $95 BILLION, yes BILLION AT&T has spend in the last 5 years building out their network.

Quote is here: "Donovan says that the mobile operator has spent $95 billion over the last 5 years trying to expand the wireless infrastructure. $20 billion was spent in 2011 alone and led to over 150,000 improvements in its wireless pipeline. Another $20 billion has been budgeted for spending on wireless infrastructure this year."

Notice only $20 BILLION in 2011, which means $75 Billion in 2007-10. Hardly nothing...

Link is here: http://www.phonearena.com/news/AT-T-data-usage-doubles-every-year_id26896

Next time get your statement somewhere in the galaxy of the truth and people won't challenge it.

nia820

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2011
Not really surprised. IPhone is the only good phone at&t carries. At&t would be dead without iPhone. Seriously their service is so terrible.

aggiefather

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2012
Question is, if iPhones make up 73%, then why is AT&T trying so hard to drive iPhones users away? It seems that anyone who has even the smallest amount of information that ATT&T has released publicly, then their board really should have look towards new leadership.

AT&T does not promote the iphone in their monthly subscriber publication. The latest issue arrived yesterday and had stories and beautiful photos promoting the latest anroid phones, but said nothing about selecting an iphone. Even the story on apps for your summer vacation seemed to mention only those for android.

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
AT&T does not promote the iphone in their monthly subscriber publication. The latest issue arrived yesterday and had stories and beautiful photos promoting the latest anroid phones, but said nothing about selecting an iphone. Even the story on apps for your summer vacation seemed to mention only those for android.

only apple is allowed to advertise the iphone

----------

i have at&t and VZW, both have dead spots all over NYC

20 million people in the city daily and wireless tech is like the old network hubs. everyone is broadcasting on the same frequencies

kalex

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2007
DUDE, you claimed AT&T was static for 3 years. Its absurd! But since you want to be embarrassed, here is a link that indicates the $95 BILLION, yes BILLION AT&T has spend in the last 5 years building out their network.

Quote is here: "Donovan says that the mobile operator has spent $95 billion over the last 5 years trying to expand the wireless infrastructure. $20 billion was spent in 2011 alone and led to over 150,000 improvements in its wireless pipeline. Another $20 billion has been budgeted for spending on wireless infrastructure this year."

Notice only $20 BILLION in 2011, which means $75 Billion in 2007-10. Hardly nothing...

Link is here: http://www.phonearena.com/news/AT-T-data-usage-doubles-every-year_id26896

Next time get your statement somewhere in the galaxy of the truth and people won't challenge it.

Nice and rosy. Except not in major cities. They kind of skipped them for later

David Sharpe

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2006
Sprint or Virgin Mobile iPhone service?

Anyone have any experience with Sprint or Virgin Mobile iPhone service? The rates seem to good to be true.

Do they provide:
Data + phone calls?
Visual voice mail?

Any limitations?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.