Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

441259_larger.png

Alongside Mountain Lion 10.8, Apple released the server component as a separate generic app called OS X Server.
OS X Server is the next generation of Apple's award winning server software. Designed for OS X and iOS devices, OS X Server makes it easy to share files, schedule meetings, synchronize contacts, host your own website, publish wikis, configure Macs, iPhones and iPads, remotely access your network, and more.

Server is now an application you can add to Mountain Lion right from the Mac App Store. Anyone can quickly and easily turn a Mac running Mountain Lion into a server that's perfect for home offices, businesses, schools, and hobbyists alike.
OS X Server requires Mountain Lion 10.8 and adds server functionality to OS X. [Mac App Store]

Article Link: Apple Launches 'OS X Server' for Mountain Lion for $19.99

Minority_taxi

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2008
Well that sux to us people who own the server edition of the Mac mini and now we have to pay twice as much to keep it a server!

Skika

macrumors 68030
Mar 11, 2009
Well that sux to us people who own the server edition of the Mac mini and now we have to pay twice as much to keep it a server!

You don't have to pay anything to keep it as a server. You have to pay to upgrade it to a new version of OS X server.

Minority_taxi

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2008
You don't have to pay anything to keep it as a server. You have to pay to upgrade it to a new version of OS X server.

I sure hope so. So your statement means when I upgrade Mountain Lion it'll keep all my server apps from 10.7 and they will run correctly. Im holding you to those assumptions.

shaunp

Cancelled
Nov 5, 2010

You just need to pay the upgrade price, but it's not exactly expensive anyway. Compare it with the price of Windows or RHEL ....

impierced

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2002
Server.app doesn't have DHCP, NAT, or Firewall...

The help in Server.app says to enable DHCP, simply launch Server Admin and put a check next to the service labeled DHCP. :confused:

Xenomorph

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2008
St. Louis

WTF?

Mac OS X Server use to be $499 or something.

Now it's $39.98 ($19.99 + $19.99). Hardly "twice as much".

The price isn't the issue. The fact that 75% of the Server OS had been destroyed since 10.6 is the issue. Apple's wonderful OS X Server "upgrades and enhancements" made it an easy decision for us to start swapping our Xserves with Dell PowerEdge servers loaded with Linux or Windows.

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…
Can anyone confirm server tools for ML (IE Workgroup Manager, Server admin, etc.) have been discontinued? If so, that sucks. I work in a school district with 9 schools + an admin building. We have 6 building techs who do the first responder stuff with the clients (fix basic problems, create new users, change passwords, etc.). They are given access to WGM for creating new users & changing passwords. We also have 4 district techs who do the higher level stuff (server, network, major hardware repair, etc.) who are given access to all the server tools.

If Server Tools have been discontinued, that's bad for us. On the one hand, the district doesn't want the buildings techs to have full access. to Server.app & all server settings as that just increases the risk of something going wrong.

On the other hand, if we don't allow the building techs any access to Server.app, then it would take hours (if not days) to have the district techs do it. And it's not good to tell a new kid "Sorry, you have to wait a few hours to do log in." That basically wastes the whole school day for that kid.

WTF?

The price isn't the issue. The fact that 75% of the Server OS had been destroyed since 10.6 is the issue. Apple's wonderful OS X Server "upgrades and enhancements" made it an easy decision for us to start swapping our Xserves with Dell PowerEdge servers loaded with Linux or Windows.

Agreed. Plus, with the lack of Xserves, it's getting a lot harder to manage services.

Minority_taxi

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2008
WTF?

I guess I'm saying twice as much cause I own the server mini, but not using it as a server anymore so much of muchness. Guess whoever buys the mini will have to upgrade to server cause I ain't.

FredT2

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2009
They should give it away for nothing? It's a bargain:

Snow Leopard Server: $499
Lion Server: $49.99
Mountain Lion Server: $19.99

arvacker

macrumors member
Oct 6, 2011
What if i bought Lion Server like 2 weeks ago?
Now 20$ is nothing, but still feels like I spent the 50$ for nothing...
You think I might be able to get a redeem code, like with a new mac purchase?

cytomatrix

macrumors member
May 21, 2009
WTF?

Apple server was a joke even before 10.6.

SkippyThorson

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2007
Utica, NY
The likes of which no apocalyptic movie has ever been able to pull off. Well, except maybe for 2012 where the entire planet managed to go to hell in the span of 24 hours.

Oh, you mean we haven't done that a few times over already? :p That gave me a lol-moment. I seriously do love that icon, though.

evino526

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2012
What if i bought Lion Server like 2 weeks ago?
Now 20$ is nothing, but still feels like I spent the 50$ for nothing...
You think I might be able to get a redeem code, like with a new mac purchase?

Not feeling a lot of sympathy for you considering we all knew 10.8 was coming out this month and there were a lot of signs pointing to today as a release date for weeks.

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
My whole house (7 Macs) will be upgraded to Mountain Lion, however my server will stay at Snow Leopard Server as long as possible (until the mini fails, I guess). While Lion didn't remove anything I needed, Mountain Lion server got rid of DHCP server for some reason I can't fathom.

And, of course, each new "server" version adds nothing new I need.

I pity businesses that have used Apple as their server solution. My setup is very basic as far as servers go, and even I see difficulties.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.