Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
But Chrome and Safari don't render everything EXACTLY the same. They use different forks of webkit as far as I know.

Chrome and Safari use the same webkit project, not different forks. However, they use different Javascript engines (Google has their own) and Chrome is usually faster than Safari in shipping newer Webkit versions by virtue of their speedier release schedule for new versions.

astrorider

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2008
The Windows HIG is for Windows developers. The OS X HIG is for Mac developers. And the font issue seems to be your own machine since we have a screenshot showing nothing wrong with Microsoft's PDF in Preview.

And no, I don't quite get your point... Don't follow the HIG of others but push people to follow yours... I don't get it.

Could be my own machine, or others have additional fonts that allow it to render. Either way, I didn't mean to strike a nerve.

Windows is, as it has always been, a shining light for human interface guidelines. How Apple could have stepped out of the bounds of the consistent interface that is Windows is anyone's guess.

jjrtiger

macrumors member
Jan 4, 2008
Boulder, CO
Apple brought Safari to Windows so that early iPhone devs could build web apps for the original iPhone before the App Store existed. Wouldn't be surprised if they stopped developing it.

Edgecrusherr

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2006
I was really disappointed when Apple made Safari for Windows "more Windows like". The Mac-likeness of it was it's shinning feature.

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004
Well...

There are probably about 5 people that will be depply crushed if (when) Apple drops support for Windows for Safari. I think the rest of us will quickly forget it ever existed (or more likely, never knew it existed in the first place).

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
Should we be surprised? It almost seems like they're gradually trying to move mac users off of Safari as well, removing features and dumping RSS support?

marcusj0015

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2011
U.S.A.
With Chrome providing a leading browser on Windows that uses Webkit and Apple's awful UI integration on Windows, is it any surprise the product never really took off ? Apple really pushes for developers to respect OS X's HIG, yet they completely fail to follow Microsoft's when porting their software to Windows.

I agree, but yet again, Microsoft even HAS interface guidelines? They epicly fail to follow them then.

----------

I would guess Apple released Safari for Windows in order to spur on adoption of advanced web technologies, Mozilla was moving too slowly with only IE as competition. With Chrome continuing to grab market share and WebKit browsers being utterly dominant in mobile it’s a case of “job done”.

Mozilla started the fight, WebKit (Safari) added fuel to the fire, Chrome basically forced Microsoft to make IE a great browser.

LMAO at IE being a "great browser" it's till incredibly slow, just as ugly on the inside, and buggy as ****. It's a Microsoft product, and no matter what Microsoft will never change. I hope Windows 8 kills them. I really ****ing do.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Probably because all the Windows Safari users switched to Chrome :p

Probably. Is there a way to Get Safari iCloud data on Windows? (Possibly through a chrome plugin?)

I've moved on to Chrome (on Windows) already... If Safari gets iCloud tab sync before Chrome, I'll consider going back to it.

slippyr4

macrumors member
Aug 19, 2008
I was really disappointed when Apple made Safari for Windows "more Windows like". The Mac-likeness of it was it's shinning feature.

Disagree entirely.

Any app should stick to the UI guidelines (yes, there are a lot of guidelines on windows before anyone trolls). It's what users expect. And it's the point of them.

If Microsoft launched a browser on OSX that was skinned like windows - even if it was really good - it would get panned by design any usability purists because it doesn't have a UI consistent with the rest of the OS.

Apple's insistence on making Safari (and iTunes) look like mac apps is a design mistake. It is a case of marketing over appropriate design.

marcusj0015

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2011
U.S.A.
It's Firefox on Windows for me.

You should RELLY try Chrome, it's SO much faster, and AFAIK has more extensions than failfox anyway.

----------

Disagree entirely.

Any app should stick to the UI guidelines (yes, there are a lot of guidelines on windows before anyone trolls). It's what users expect. And it's the point of them.

If Microsoft launched a browser on OSX that was skinned like windows - even if it was really good - it would get panned by design any usability purists because it doesn't have a UI consistent with the rest of the OS.

Apple's insistence on making Safari (and iTunes) look like mac apps is a design mistake. It is a case of marketing over appropriate design.

And the sad thing is (Typing this from my POS faildows box I'm replacing with a retina mbp asap) is that it looks like absolute ****, and runs HORRIBLY.

bdkennedy1

Suspended
Oct 24, 2002
Windows 8 is coming out in a few months. I'm sure they are not going to spend too many resources on Windows 7. Windows 8 is a new OS and Apple is probably waiting to see if it's going to crash and burn.

Microsoft should be worrying about iTunes for Windows 8.

ivladster

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2007
Washington DC
Well if Windows8 will not have such great support and current machines don't have much of a touch technologies available, then why have Safari on Windows at all. I think Apple realized it rather focus on other things than winning the Browser wars. Chrome and Firefox are doing a great job.

Apple Key

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2012
That would be a great experiment. Apple not release iTunes for Windows. At this point supposedly they don't even need Windows since you can set up iDevices OTA now.

I imagine it would be a problem for people to sync their content though. Even to sync over wifi, they would still need iTunes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.