Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion

Old Jul 25, 2012, 05:52 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

How to Re-Download Lion From the Mac App Store

Macworld points out that with the launch of OS X Mountain Lion today, Apple has seemingly removed OS X Lion from the Mac App Store. However, users can re-download it -- and then create a Recovery USB Key -- if they have already purchased it.

Quote:
Folks who already bought Lion can in fact re-download it, if they hold down Option when clicking on the Purchased tab. That secret shortcut makes Lion reappear in the list.

With the Option key trick, customers who own Lion and, for whatever reason, want to install it fresh on a compatible Mac, can do so.
Customers who never purchased Lion are out of luck as far as the App Store goes, though the OS X Lion USB Thumb Drive is still available via the Apple Online Store for $69.

Article Link: How to Re-Download Lion From the Mac App Store
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2012, 06:00 PM   #2
Mad Mac Maniac
macrumors 68040

so with ML, OS updates will be done through the MAS right? So when ML gets removed with the release of 10.9 does that mean no more updates?
Old Jul 25, 2012, 06:06 PM   #3
Aussi3
macrumors member

You will still get updates
Aussi3 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2012, 06:07 PM   #4
coder12
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Mac Maniac View Post
so with ML, OS updates will be done through the MAS right? So when ML gets removed with the release of 10.9 does that mean no more updates?
They'll probably just hide the purchase link like they did with Lion :P You can still get updates, just like you always have, without actually needing to go into the apps' individual page; it will just show up in the software update location.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 06:07 PM   #5
deannnnn
macrumors 68000

Quote:
I don't have Mountain Lion yet as I'm still awaiting my upgrade key, but I'm sure that whenever 10.9 is released, 10.8 users will still be able to get updates through the App Store. They can't just leave older users out in the cold.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 06:20 PM   #6
KALLT
macrumors 6502a

Very strange decision if you ask me. Since the App Store is the only place where you can get Lion, people with systems that haven’t been upgraded before and are not eligible for Mountain Lion are basically stuck, unless they get it from other sources. Is this Apple’s way of saying ‘we don’t care about you anyway’? Even this option-click method to download it again appears to be more than a hidden way than an obvious solution, clearly to prevent inexperienced users from finding it. It feels as if Apple is trying to cut the cords as much as possible.
KALLT is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2012, 06:34 PM   #7
Acks101
macrumors newbie

Need Help Finding Lion

Hi i have tried the above method and it is not working for me. osx Lion is not coming up when i press the option key and click purchases.

just before installing mountain lion i accidentally clicked the cross next to the osx lion download button in the purchased apps section. now i can't find osx lion anywhere.

As i did pay for it i would like to make a copy of it just in case i ever need it.
can someone please help.

thank you,
Acks.
Acks101 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2012, 06:54 PM   #8
KALLT
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acks101 View Post
Hi i have tried the above method and it is not working for me. osx Lion is not coming up when i press the option key and click purchases.

just before installing mountain lion i accidentally clicked the cross next to the osx lion download button in the purchased apps section. now i can't find osx lion anywhere.

As i did pay for it i would like to make a copy of it just in case i ever need it.
can someone please help.

thank you,
Acks.
Go to the main page of the App Store and log in to your account (the link on the right hand side). There you find an option under iTunes in the Cloud to view hidden purchases. You can unhide it there.
KALLT is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2012, 06:57 PM   #9
Primejimbo
macrumors 68030

sorry for the dumb question...
How do I get Mountain Lion with Snow Leopard? Will I get charged for Lion when I buy Mountain Lion then?
Primejimbo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2012, 07:00 PM   #10
Zerotolerance
macrumors member

I still have the OS X Lion available as a download in my Purchases list. But this whole thing is screwed up. I usually skip to every other OS, so I was planning to upgrade from Snow Leopard to Mountain Lion. Luckily, two weeks ago, I found out that my older Mac couldn't run Mountain Lion, so I hurried up and bought Lion because I suspected Apple would pull it from the App Store, leaving me with no way to purchase it. It's not like the old days of hard discs where you go on to eBay or amazon and still find old but still brand new OS's for sale. I'll bet there will be others like me in the coming weeks who think they're going to buy Mountain Lion, but when the find out it can't run on their Macs, they're going to be stuck. I think that if Apple is only going to make its software available in the App Store, they should have a special "clearance bin" section of older versions at discount prices for people who don't have the hardware to purchase the latest version.
Zerotolerance is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2012, 07:03 PM   #11
Glassed Silver
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primejimbo View Post
How do I get Mountain Lion with Snow Leopard? Will I get charged for Lion when I buy Mountain Lion then?
No.
Snow Leopard is the least version you can upgrade from, so you're golden.
Just go to the Mac App Store, purchase Lion at the standard price and off you go.

Glassed Silver:mac
Last login: Sat May 5 22:52:51 on ttys000
Society-System:~ dumbnut$ rm -rf ~/Library/mind.db ~/Library/Frameworks/tolerance
~/Library/Frameworks/commonsense ~/integrity ~/individuality
Glassed Silver is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2012, 07:06 PM   #12
AriX
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to AriX Send a message via Skype™ to AriX
Quote:
That's not how that works. The OS updates that will come through the Mac App Store are not the same as regular app updates. I believe they are the same updates that would normally come through Software Update, just integrated into the App Store app instead. The "Mountain Lion" item you buy from the MAS is the OS installer; the installer will likely get updated for new versions of the OS, but that will be separate from the OS updates themselves.
(This is just my intuition based on what I've seen; I don't know 100% how it works.)
Old Jul 25, 2012, 07:08 PM   #13
ixodes
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primejimbo View Post
http://www.apple.com/osx/how-to-upgrade/
Old Jul 25, 2012, 07:12 PM   #14
Acks101
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KALLT View Post
Go to the main page of the App Store and log in to your account (the link on the right hand side). There you find an option under iTunes in the Cloud to view hidden purchases. You can unhide it there.
Thanks alot mate.
Acks101 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2012, 07:22 PM   #15
jsalda
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerotolerance View Post
I still have the OS X Lion available as a download in my Purchases list. But this whole thing is screwed up. I usually skip to every other OS, so I was planning to upgrade from Snow Leopard to Mountain Lion. Luckily, two weeks ago, I found out that my older Mac couldn't run Mountain Lion, so I hurried up and bought Lion because I suspected Apple would pull it from the App Store, leaving me with no way to purchase it. It's not like the old days of hard discs where you go on to eBay or amazon and still find old but still brand new OS's for sale. I'll bet there will be others like me in the coming weeks who think they're going to buy Mountain Lion, but when the find out it can't run on their Macs, they're going to be stuck. I think that if Apple is only going to make its software available in the App Store, they should have a special "clearance bin" section of older versions at discount prices for people who don't have the hardware to purchase the latest version.
I agree. I was playing with the wife's Macbook (Early 2008) last night and decided to check the requirements for ML. When I found out it wasn't supported, something in me told me to get Lion while I can, had a suspicion Apple would pull it. Glad I did.

Also, it's showing up in my "Purchases" tab. Downloading it now on my MBP (still running SL) and throwing it on my server at work for safe keeping.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 07:30 PM   #16
AzN1337c0d3r
macrumors 6502

Looks like they pulled the OS X Lion USB Thumb Drive too. Contrary to what the article states.
AzN1337c0d3r is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2012, 08:02 PM   #17
Primejimbo
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glassed Silver View Post
No.
Snow Leopard is the least version you can upgrade from, so you're golden.
Just go to the Mac App Store, purchase Lion at the standard price and off you go.

Glassed Silver:mac
Lion got pulled from the App Store:
http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...rolls_out.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixodes View Post
Doesn't tell me how much I would pay. I doubt it I would pay only $19.99 to go from SL to Mountain Lion.
Primejimbo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2012, 08:15 PM   #18
Dewroo
macrumors regular

Send a message via Skype™ to Dewroo
Does anyone agree with me that this makes sense, as it reduces consumer confusion?
Dewroo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2012, 08:24 PM   #19
KALLT
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewroo View Post
Does anyone agree with me that this makes sense, as it reduces consumer confusion?
I find that argument unconvincing. There would have been other methods to make customers aware of the difference, like an overview page or a pop up if customers attempt to download it, although they could get Mountain Lion instead. They could also just hide it entirely when the App Store detects that the customer’s Mac is capable of running Mountain Lion. These are all other options Apple could have taken to ensure that customers get the latest software, but don’t leave existing customers with Snow Leopard.
KALLT is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2012, 09:57 PM   #20
AzN1337c0d3r
macrumors 6502

Quote:

Makes perfect sense, if "planned obsolescence" is your sales model.
AzN1337c0d3r is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2012, 11:35 PM   #21
KPOM
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by KALLT View Post
Very strange decision if you ask me. Since the App Store is the only place where you can get Lion, people with systems that haven’t been upgraded before and are not eligible for Mountain Lion are basically stuck, unless they get it from other sources. Is this Apple’s way of saying ‘we don’t care about you anyway’? Even this option-click method to download it again appears to be more than a hidden way than an obvious solution, clearly to prevent inexperienced users from finding it. It feels as if Apple is trying to cut the cords as much as possible.

According to Macworld you can get it by calling 1-800-MY-APPLE, although not all the reps there know about the option yet.
http://www.macworld.com/article/1167...app_store.html
KPOM is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2012, 12:37 AM   #22
matrix07
macrumors 68000

I don't see Lion in my purchase tab. I got it when I buy MBA, guess I'm out of luck.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 03:12 AM   #23
StrudelTurnover
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerotolerance View Post
I think that if Apple is only going to make its software available in the App Store, they should have a special "clearance bin" section of older versions at discount prices for people who don't have the hardware to purchase the latest version.
No matter what they might call it, selling fresh copies of old software implies that they're obligated to support it. And I bet you'd see lawsuits insisting on it. No consumer expects to have a dead version with security updates if they bought it yesterday from the company what made it.

And seriously, ML is $20, L was $30, SL was $30. What exactly is a discount price? We're not talking $150 upgrades anymore. It's all hardware subsidies now.

Finally, because you seem to have forgotten, Apple is the closed sales loop. They have everything to gain from encouraging you upgrade hardware, and no reason to care if you choose not to.

Isn't there some kind of aftermarket for developer seeded OSX builds? Or did they solve that problem?

Last edited by StrudelTurnover; Jul 26, 2012 at 03:19 AM.
StrudelTurnover is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2012, 05:47 AM   #24
adrian.oconnor
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post
I don't see Lion in my purchase tab. I got it when I buy MBA, guess I'm out of luck.
If Lion came on your MBA you already have a copy to keep -- in your laptop box you also got a tiny little white USB stick (with a grey Apple logo on it). That's the Lion install 'disc'. If you need to wipe the laptop, stick that in and hold down alt (or 'the option key') while the computer starts up.

Last edited by maflynn; Jul 26, 2012 at 09:22 AM. Reason: clean up
adrian.oconnor is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2012, 06:08 AM   #25
cgc
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Sure, but there's a growing community of people who can't upgrade to OSX 10.8 so OSX 10.7 was a good option.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion