Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

time_all_time_100_influential-150x204.jpg

Time yesterday released a list of the 20 most influential Americans of all time, with Apple founder Steve Jobs making the cut for inclusion in the list. Jobs is the final entry on the chronologically-sorted list that includes such figures as George Washington, Abraham Lincoln, Henry Ford, and the Wright brothers.
Jobs was a visionary whose great genius was for design: he pushed and pushed to make the interface between computers and people elegant, simple and delightful. He always claimed his goal was to create products that were "insanely great." Mission accomplished.
The new Time feature is part of a promotion for the publication's new book covering what it judges to be the 100 most influential people of all time, a list that also includes Jobs.

Time also releases annual lists of the world's most influential people, with Apple CEO Tim Cook and Jobs' biographer Walter Isaacson making the 2012 list back in April.

Article Link: Time Magazine Names Steve Jobs Among 20 Most Influential Americans of All Time

kavika411

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2006
Alabama
Hold on, Time, I'm gonna let you finish, but Beyoncé is one of the most influential Americans of all time... OF ALL TIME!

kalsta

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2010
Australia
Anyone who is honest about how Apple has influenced technology, since it's beginnings in the 1970s right through to the current day, could surely not argue with that.

Edit: Sorry, that was a bit of a silly thing to say. The list is educated speculation at best, so of course people can argue about it!

Last edited:

Serelus

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2009
Vm9pZA
Wait till the linux enthusiasts get here, "Oh steve gets to become one of the most influential americans? But Dennis ritchie(Developer of C) goes unnoticed"

Not getting the difference between the 2 people, sigh...

RawBert

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2010
North Hollywood, CA
I saw The 100 Most Influential People in the World ofAll-Time (book) at a supermarket on July 4. I picked it up, saw the price ($16), and placed it back down.

Last edited:

srxtr

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2010
And his picture's smack in the middle at the top of the cover too.

Way to go!

mantan

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2009
DFW
I agree, but if he is on the list..how is Gates not?

Gates should be on there. He had just as much influence on technology, especially in American business. Additionally his work as a philanthropist had influence beyond the marketplace.

Ping Guo

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2008
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Ben Franklin doesn't make the list but Jobs does?

Edit: Neither do James Madison, writers like Mark Twain, F. Scott Fitzgerald, Steinbeck, and Hemingway, etc.

Last edited:

Flood123

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2009
Living Stateside
Helped lead the united states to victory over the brits and was the first president of the united states. Freed the slaves. Built and flew the first airplane. Created the first assembly line. Developed the iPod .
There is no doubt he was a great man, but to be in those ranks? I'm undecided on that. But hey, my opinion doesn't matter because I didn't write the article. It just seems like putting skrillex or jam master J on a greatest guitar player of all time list.(which actually happened.)

Last edited:

kalsta

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2010
Australia
I agree, but if he is on the list..how is Gates not?
They may add him soon enough. The guy not only created one of the most successful companies in history, but he is also leading the charge in tackling global problems through his foundation.

I think it depends on how you define 'influence'. Millions of people use Microsoft products like Windows and Word every day, so in a sense that's a massive impact. But if you measure influence by the difference you would see had that person not been around, I suspect Steve would be leagues ahead of Bill. Without Steve, no Apple, no Lisa, no Macintosh, and therefore no Windows. Sure, others would have picked up on similar concepts in time—technology has a way of evolving—but when you look at history, you can see the chain of events and how frequently Jobs was pushing the industry forward.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.