Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Yesterday, we noted that Apple's Up-to-Date program allowing recent Mac purchasers to receive free upgrades to OS X Mountain Lion was experiencing some early hiccups, with users receiving Mac App Store redemption codes that were registering as invalid. Customer support representatives were advising users that Apple was aware of the issue and would be automatically issuing replacement codes but that the process could take up to three days.

os_x_mountain_lion_server_icons.jpg

While many of these replacement codes are already coming through, users today have begun reporting that Apple is mistakenly sending out codes for the OS X Server components of Mountain Lion rather than Mountain Lion itself.
I just got my second code and was able to redeem it. The only problem is when it redeemed it came up with an error saying OSX Server cannot be downloaded because it requires OSX 10.8.0 to run. It seems they sent me a redemption code for server instead of mountain lion. The pdf with the code clearly says that the code is for mountain lion...

My purchased tab only shows OSX Server - no mountain lion...
At least half a dozen users have reported the same problem, with the issue presumably affecting a much greater number of users receiving codes today. One user who called Apple about the issue was advised to file another request through Apple's uptodatesupport@apple.com support mechanism.

OS X Server is also available through the Up-to-Date program, but is limited to users who purchased server models of the company's Mac Pro and Mac mini lines.

Article Link: Apple Mistakenly Sending Out OS X Server Replacement Up-to-Date Codes

Pivs

macrumors member
Jul 2, 2012
Virginia
Well at least I now have a copy of OS X Server. Too bad it won't run without ML. And the waiting game begins anew.

Wokis

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2012
Stockholm, Sweden
Still waiting for my first code over here..

Won't pay out of principle. They should not earn more money by crippling their promised upgrade program. That's not teaching them a lession for the next time..

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
Apple needs to rethink their up-to-date strategy. Why require a redemption code at all? Software update and the App Store already know what Mac you have. Just push the new OS to eligible machines.

TheByrus

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2010
Arlington, TX
Pretty sure the Apple "UpToDate program" is just a macro that sends your request directly to the server trashbin.

MBPR request is 28 hours and counting.

mdelaney123

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2004
Still Waiting for mine

I am still waiting for my code. Put in the request yesterday at 4:30pm... Hasn't been 24 hours yet, but I am not getting a good feeling that they will make it on time.

dbyway

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2012
Utah
They're probably seeing how many suckers they can get to just buy it because they're not making money off us... :rolleyes:

frolo

macrumors newbie
May 28, 2006
Sounds like they're screwing up big time with the up-to-date program. I have yet to receive my code and it's been over the initially quoted 24 hours.

aziatiklover

macrumors 68030
Jul 12, 2011
8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4
Apple needs to rethink their up-to-date strategy. Why require a redemption code at all? Software update and the App Store already know what Mac you have. Just push the new OS to eligible machines.

True, but it wouldnt assigned to your apple ID purchased history! You actually need a redeem code for it to remember in your apple ID history.

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
Hope these folks get their proper copy

Wow, hope these folks get their proper copy of ML.

Apple seems to drop the ball when it comes to software launches through the Mac App store - I seem to remember something wonky with Lion as well.

I guess if/when I get another Mac, I'll definitely wait until both the hardware kinks are worked out and the most up-to-date OS is installed.

This is an unfortunate indicator that patience is a good thing when it comes to technology.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.