Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Autodesk's official release of Inventor Fusion has arrived on the Mac App Store, after several months as a technology preview. Inventor Fusion is software that enables advanced 3D mechanical design. The software is free and "makes it easy to open and edit 3D models from almost any source and incorporate them into your design, enabling rapid design changes without limitations."

NewImage28.png

Imagine the new and exciting ideas you can create using Autodesk Inventor Fusion technology to bring your designs to life. This new, 3D CAD modeling software enables creation of designs through intuitive direct manipulation and easy to understand design tools.

Features:

- 2D Sketching: Start your designs by using simple 2D sketch tools. Control sketches with dimensions. Create 2D layouts from which you can create multiple shapes fast.
- Direct Modeling: Push - pull and edit your way to your final desired result. Direct modeling means you can focus on your design task and not on complex modeling commands and dialogs. Autodesk Inventor Fusion technology is a history free 3D design tool.
- Assembly design: Assemblies that mimic the real world makes positioning and moving your design fast and predictable. Designing in context means you have all the right information to make design decisions. Flexible assembly structure ensures you can change your mind at any time.
- Real Time Visualization: Beautiful 3D and fast real-time navigation make creating and presenting your design easy.
- Cloud Storage: Store and Share your designs using Autodesk 360 collaboration service. Use Webgl enabled browsers or Autodesk Viewers for IOS to view your designs when on the go.
- AutoCAD® Compatibility:?Autodesk Inventor Fusion Technology is compatible with other Autodesk® software products, making it easy for you to read files from colleagues and clients.
- Translators: Read SAT, STEP, DWG and Autodesk Inventor Files. Share data as STEP or STL. STL output means you are ready to use the growing number of 3D printers and printing services.
The system requirements for Inventor Fusion for Mac include most relatively recent Mac Pro, iMac, and MacBook Pro models with specific graphics options from AMD, NVIDIA or Intel. Autodesk has, however, indicated that users may still have success running the software on officially unsupported systems.

Autodesk Inventor Fusion is available free from the Mac App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Autodesk Releases 'Inventor Fusion' on Mac App Store

benspratling

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2006
So this was supposed to be free? I figured that was a mistake & I downloaded it immediately! :cool:
Still trying to figure out how to make a cut to a sketch...

gobluejd

macrumors member
Jan 20, 2012
NW Indiana
I am a heavy user of Inventor. I wish this was a little better at building simple assemblies. Regardless, this is AWESOME for startup designs. Very nice they offer for free (how long).

I just switched to MAC for my Engineering computer, however I have to use parallels for AutoCad (still not good for long time users of the PC version) and Inventor. Once they get AutoCad up to standards and do a little more with assemblies I can finally cut the tie. And to think I am a PC and Android Fanboy. :eek: :) ;)

AlanFord

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2011
Cro
Great to see more engineering apps coming to mac.
I hope more are yet to come, at least my hopes are that Solidworks will come one day. As a mechanical engineer its my must have app. Its the only main reason i have to bootcamp the windows partition.
And Catia would be great for me, but not expecting it any times soon, unfortunately.

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…
Tried it out. Pretty cool app. I'm no engineer, but seems like a cool app to doodle with in my spare time. I took a CAD class one semester in high school, but that was over 10 years ago. I forgot everything of course.

auhlixer

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2006
Philadelphia, PA
I am a heavy user of Inventor. I wish this was a little better at building simple assemblies. Regardless, this is AWESOME for startup designs. Very nice they offer for free (how long).

I just switched to MAC for my Engineering computer, however I have to use parallels for AutoCad (still not good for long time users of the PC version) and Inventor. Once they get AutoCad up to standards and do a little more with assemblies I can finally cut the tie. And to think I am a PC and Android Fanboy. :eek: :) ;)

I hope this paves the way for full blown inventor w/ parameters, ilogic and the vault :)

heimo

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2010
I don't get it. Is this a mistake? I mean free? :eek:

When I saw it on App Store for free, I had the same thought - this must be a mistake, and quickly hit download button. It's supposed to be free? Wow. Some of the apps even in the 10-20 USD range are pure crap, and I can get Inventor for free, even though I'd probably be happy to pay 50 USD for it? Thank you Autodesk.

Supermacguy

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2008
Anyone with a computer lower than the requirements try it? I've got a Mac Pro 1,1 with upgraded processors and would love to try it.

knucklehead

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2003
knucklehead

Anyone with a computer lower than the requirements try it? I've got a Mac Pro 1,1 with upgraded processors and would love to try it.

Well, I can say it at least runs on a 2012 11" Air. I'm sure it would bog down if you tried to do a complex model with it tho ...

Can't wait to try it out on my iMac, which is unfortunately sitting half way across the country from me right now.

Another big thumbs up to Autodesk for making this available for ---FREE--- !!!

Morgenland

macrumors 65816
May 28, 2009
Europe
Just Advertisement

I'm very impressed that Autodesk released Fusion for free! It's a very powerful and capable App, and now a major threat to Google Sketchup.

;-) I am not impressed. Just call it´s name: advertisement.

----------

Seems you have to have 10.7 or beter, wouldn't download on a laptop running 10.6.8

yes, it is a 64bit app....
BTW: it needs a XQuartz installed (a free source X11 server software) to be able to open Inventor-files. The perfomance on my MacMini: Very poor! Windows are displayed very delayed during move. Autodesk, I won´t have to change my mind about your "professionally".

Last edited:

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
This is great news. It's going to be awesome to model using the full resources of the system, instead of splitting them down the middle via parallels.

Fingers crossed...

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
How is this different than Inventor? I have been trying to find the answer to this and only thing I can find is that Inventor utilizes a tree whereas this is a hybrid of direct and parametric

In short, does Fusion compare well with SW? or is Fusion an addon to say Inventor?

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
How is this different than Inventor? I have been trying to find the answer to this and only thing I can find is that Inventor utilizes a tree whereas this is a hybrid of direct and parametric

In short, does Fusion compare well with SW? or is Fusion an addon to say Inventor?

Fusion is like Inventor LT but from 5 years into the future.

It also uses a tree, but the tree is infinitely more powerful... Fusion works considerably differently, much slicker and more powerful in a lot of ways than Inventor, like something from the future, and Inventor is continually taking on more and more aspects of Fusion like bits of UI & now the modeling engine... but Fusion is nowhere as complete as Inv yet, lacking some of the more intensive features, like Lofting, Parametrics, & FEA & whatnot.

I installed it, found there's not a lot we design that we can use it for right this moment, but I'm leaving it installed, and will keep a close eye on future updates with great interest.

The prospect of tying in a rapid prototyping service or directory of providers would be huge for small firms & independents.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.