Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pianoblack3

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2012
Scotland
Come on Fall notebook update and refurbished MacBook Pros!

Why on earth would you want a Notebook update now!? Did you miss WWDC?

Last year we got two, in reasonable places. March and October, where as this year June was the starting date, so are you saying December is the next?

h0mi

macrumors member
Mar 4, 2007

Last year we got two, in reasonable places. March and October, where as this year June was the starting date, so are you saying December is the next?

I'm rooting for a mac mini and imac update, and I'm not against a Mac tower update either, even if I don't want a mac tower myself.

Pianoblack3

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2012
Scotland
I'm rooting for a mac mini and imac update, and I'm not against a Mac tower update either, even if I don't want a mac tower myself.

IMO, yes, I managed to get a Mac Pro via Apple's site up to £13,000 by using all their accessories and SSD's, with 12 Core.

IPlayFair

macrumors member
May 12, 2012
I have cash burning in my pocket. I don't know if I can keep there until the Fall. I'd like an IMac but I'm taking a strong look at the Retina Macbook Pro.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis

Ivy Bridge is already set to see its speed bump. The OEM parts numbers are out.

MarkCollette

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2003
Toronto, Canada
Why assume that? As far as cabling, why would anything more than an hdmi cable (aaplTV) be necessary? Further, with many new sets having wifi capability, a cable might not be needed at all. Aapl's strength has always been to simplify the complicated. I see no reason why a set top box with a touch screen remote (iPhone/iPad/7.85" remote) couldn't theoretically handle all necessary device specific menus. Aapl doesn't need to make a panel to crack the problem.

I think the menus and remotes are a bigger issue than the cabling for the average user. But even just connecting the one cable and changing to the appropriate input to use it is beyond many. Likely, using wifi would take even more technical know-how to configure.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Massive cleanup of the Core 2 based machines on the refurbished store in the past few days. The 15" MacBook Pro is nearly all Late 2011 machines, for now...

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
Massive cleanup of the Core 2 based machines on the refurbished store in the past few days. The 15" MacBook Pro is nearly all Late 2011 machines, for now...

I wonder what they did with all of them. Some of the late 2011 pricing is still higher than it should be. There are many that are just too much in line with their Ivy Bridge counterparts when Ivy still outpaces them somewhat.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
I wonder what they did with all of them. Some of the late 2011 pricing is still higher than it should be. There are many that are just too much in line with their Ivy Bridge counterparts when Ivy still outpaces them somewhat.
The significant difference is USB 3.0 and the GPU. Some of the refurb discounts are amazing but others are from BTO models. Not to mention Apple has the Retina Macbook Pro fighting it out now against the $2,199 Macbook Pro. That is a mess right there.

spatlese44

macrumors 6502
Dec 13, 2007
Milwaukee
I didn't get a chance to read all the posts in this thread, but did anyone notice what the Lion tech spec page has this to say about AirPlay Mirroring:

"Requires a second-generation Apple TV or later."

Or later?

blevins321

macrumors 68030
Dec 24, 2010
Detroit, MI
I didn't get a chance to read all the posts in this thread, but did anyone notice what the Lion tech spec page has this to say about AirPlay Mirroring:

"Requires a second-generation Apple TV or later."

Or later?

Well the current version is the third-generation. They're leaving it open for future updates.

SteveW928

macrumors 68000
May 28, 2010
Victoria, B.C. Canada
I think the menus and remotes are a bigger issue than the cabling for the average user. But even just connecting the one cable and changing to the appropriate input to use it is beyond many. Likely, using wifi would take even more technical know-how to configure.

If that is what 'cracking the problem' entails, then I'll be horribly disappointed. People who can't hook up a cable and switch an input hire someone or invite their geeky nephew over for pizza. It's pretty much a one-time thing as well, as if the box is properly designed, they won't have to change anything again.

I just think adding a screen to the mix solves the problem you're indicating for a few, but excludes a huge portion of the potential market. I suppose they could have a screen based model as well as a box. That might make the most sense.

luffytubby

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2008
Apple TV uses wifi for its mirroring right? so in theory, having Apple tv adopted to use 802.11ac should make the apple tv much better as a mirroring source?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.