Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scottishsam

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2012
Glasgow has them

Staff in the Glasgow store have been wearing them for about a week. Along with the Canadian one.

Zyphras

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2012
As an Irish person, I have always found the British tendency to stick the Union Flag absolutely everywhere extremely crass and imperialistic.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
As an Irish person, I have always found the British tendency to stick the Union Flag absolutely everywhere extremely crass and imperialistic.

As a British person I can safely say that I've not seen a Union Jack hung anywhere in my city for ages...and its a big city.

It's nowhere near as bad (not sure thats the correct way of putting it) as in the US, where its seemingly common to have a flag hanging on the front of your house.

MattDell

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2006
London, UK

Only lately with the Jubilee and Olympics have they been doing it. Otherwise they hardly ever fly the flag.

Zyphras

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2012
Only lately with the Jubilee and Olympics have they been doing it. Otherwise they hardly ever fly the flag.

It's not just the flying of the full flag. It's Union Flag cushion, Union Flag key-rings, Union Flag iPad badges from Apple... I see them in live events on the BBC and other British channels all the time as well as in movies etc. When I was in France in 2010 there was a couple with a nice black convertible sports car, and the whole, large metal segment for the boot (trunk) was entirely painted as the union Flag. It's weird. I think many other countries, even including the States and others don't commoditise their national symbol nearly as much.

Anyway, I wish them the best. The disruption seems to annoy quite a few native Londoners though, judging from Twitter.

Zyphras

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2012
The Queen would not approve!

geri.jpg

MattDell

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2006
London, UK
It's not just the flying of the full flag. It's Union Flag cushion, Union Flag key-rings, Union Flag iPad badges from Apple... I see them in live events on the BBC and other British channels all the time as well as in movies etc. When I was in France in 2010 there was a couple with a nice black convertible sports car, and the whole, large metal segment for the boot (trunk) was entirely painted as the union Flag. Ugh. I think many other countries, even including the States and others don't commoditise their national symbol nearly as much.

Well it's much better than them flying the England flag all the time. Surely the Union flag is a better option? But like I said before, this is a year of national pride for Britain. Let them have it.

And as an American, I genuinely don't think there's anyone who comes close to how much we plaster our flag onto everything. Our athletes, who play in American-only sports against American-only teams, always have the US Flag on their jerseys. Politicians ALWAYS have to wear the American flag on their lapel for fear of being considered unpatriotic. And of course we have American flag cushions, key rings, etc. on top of all that.

Point being, living here as an American I've always appreciated the British sense of modesty when flying the flag. Though it's been equally nice seeing them take a bit of pride in it this year and displaying buntings and putting the flag up for a change. I doubt it will last into next year.

Zyphras

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2012
Well it's much better than them flying the England flag all the time. Surely the Union flag is a better option? But like I said before, this is a year of national pride for Britain. Let them have it.

And as an American, I genuinely don't think there's anyone who comes close to how much we plaster our flag onto everything. Our athletes, who play in American-only sports against American-only teams, always have the US Flag on their jerseys. Politicians ALWAYS have to wear the American flag on their lapel for fear of being considered unpatriotic. And of course we have American flag cushions, key rings, etc. on top of all that.

Point being, living here as an American I've always appreciated the British sense of modesty when flying the flag. Though it's been equally nice seeing them take a bit of pride in it this year and displaying buntings and putting the flag up for a change. I doubt it will last into next year.

Fair points. I guess depending on where we live, certain things are much more noticeable.

----------

You could always beat them at their own game... ;)

View attachment 350051

Ouch!

----------

I don't know. Now that we see it annoys Zyphras so much it might be worth keeping them up a while :)

Thanks. :)

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
Yeah, but that's nothing special. ALL British underwear has the Union Flag on it by law already, although the Scottish are allowed to substitute with the Saltire if the wearer prefers.

Scottish people don't wear underwear, you go Commando under a Kilt. The Ignorance of some people ;)

RickyB

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2007

Imperialistic? How? And the Irish tricolour is plastered all over the place in Ireland in any case.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.