Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bizdata

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 16, 2012
Kiev, Ukraine
1) Preview 6.0 has lost its 'Hand' tool! So, if you're not on MacBook Pro with touchpad, you can't actually pan around open document, not depending on document type.

2) Safari 6.0 has lost 'Activity' window, which allowed you to download video from YouTube for example.

Any thoughts?

Besides, the system is crammed with plenty of useless features, which make it much more heavy and awkward.

Last edited:

Sylon

macrumors 68020
Feb 26, 2012
Michigan/Ohio, USA
1) Preview 6.0 has lost its 'Hand' tool! So, if you're not on MacBook Pro with touchpad, you can't actually pan around open document, not depending on document type.

2) Safari 6.0 has lost 'Activity' window, which allowed you to download video from YouTube for example.

Any thoughts?

1) Being someone with a touchpad, I could see how annoying that could be. Sorry dude. Although not as great as the touchpad, you can still use the arrow keys.

2) That has been known for quite a while now.

I wouldn't necessarily call these "significant" though.

bizdata

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 16, 2012
Kiev, Ukraine
I wouldn't necessarily call these "significant" though.

Well, its quite significant for me personally because I used to read books in PDF, scrolling across with my Wacom pen :)

Mabe there is some way to get old Preview 5.5.1 back in Mountain Lion?

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
Safari has a sort of activity window still where you can see all of the elements of the site. You need to enable the Develop menu then you can 'Show page resources'. Not perfect, but better than nothing.

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado

Any thoughts?

Besides, the system is crammed with plenty of useless features, which make it much more heavy and awkward.

Thanks for this. I use the hand tool ALL THE TIME in SL. If this is true I may not upgrade to LION, or ML. Thanks..

lssmit02

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2004
Not a substitute, but the arrow keys do move you around a zoomed in pdf.

bizdata

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 16, 2012
Kiev, Ukraine
Thanks for this. I use the hand tool ALL THE TIME in SL. If this is true I may not upgrade to LION, or ML. Thanks..

Yeah, this actually makes me thinking of getting back to Lion (by the way it works perfectly and smoothly there)...
or find a way to make Preview 5.5.1 work in ML.

----------

Not a substitute, but the arrow keys do move you around a zoomed in pdf.

Mmmm. Not a solution for me, as I use Wacom tablet. Besides you move very slowly and jerky with arrow keys.

fheusel

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2012
Yeah, this actually makes me thinking of getting back to Lion (by the way it works there perfectly and smoothly)...
or find a way to make Preview 5.5.1 work in ML.
Here is Lions Preview 5.5.2 - working under ML (just a little Info.plist-tinkering and resigning):
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/158132/Preview 5.5.2.zip

Screenshot:
Screen%20Shot%202012-07-27%20at%2014.58.04.jpg

Last edited:

fheusel

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2012
Oh Thank you!!!

Can you tell a bit more about Info.plist-tinkering and resigning please?

The Lion Preview.app seems to be blacklistet in ML through the "Bundle version=719.25" entry in the Info.plist. So I changed it to something higher (760 in this case - 765 is the version-number from ML Preview.app). Now the app fails to start, because modifying the plist-file apparently broke the signing.
Then I resigned it using this command:
Code:
codesign --force --sign - Preview.app/Contents/MacOS/Preview

bizdata

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 16, 2012
Kiev, Ukraine
The Lion Preview.app seems to be blacklistet in ML through the "Bundle version=719.25" entry in the Info.plist. So I changed it to something higher (760 in this case - 765 is the version-number from ML Preview.app). Now the app fails to start, because modifying the plist-file apparently broke the signing.
Code:

Wow! That's really great! Thanks again. How do you know all this? Maybe you could suggest some books?

----------

Does the Magic Trackpad not do the same thing as the MBP trackpad?

Maybe it does, but I'm on iMac right now -- I don't have any.

Doesn't Develop>Show Web Inspector let you do the same thing?

Well, I tried to download movie from YouTube using WI, but failed...

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
Wow! That's really great! Thanks again. How do you know all this? Maybe you could suggest some books?

----------

Maybe it does, but I'm on iMac right now -- I don't have any.

Well, I tried to download movie from YouTube using WI, but failed...

check out apps like "get tube", "mediahuman youtube downloader", "youtube to mp3"....
lots of free apps to do this...

iVikD

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2011
Spain
The thing is to download YouTube stuff using native OS X means.

If you were willing to download Google Chrome, there's several interfaces that let you do what you want, such as the element view, and a network view (my personal favorite for downloading media from sites.)
Otherwise, just do what others have suggested in the Develop menu.

tarryweather

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2012
After messing around, I figured out how to continue to download videos through Safari without extensions. As previously mentioned, find the video in the Web Inspector (in my experience, this doesn't always work if the inspector isn't already open when the page loads, so you may have to refresh, and it often doesn't appear until a lot has loaded, but it lives under the "Other" folder). Then highlight it, and in the right panel it'll give you the full URL. Copy it. Now make sure that the downloads button is visible (you may have to tell Safari to download an arbitrary link or something to make it appear). Click it to open up the downloads pop-up and hit paste. Voila.

Not as easy as finding it in the Activity window and option-clicking, but it works just the same.

Costee

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2011
Budapest
Code:

Thanks! It also works with Preview.app from Snow Leopard.

Freeek

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2011
After messing around, I figured out how to continue to download videos through Safari without extensions. As previously mentioned, find the video in the Web Inspector (in my experience, this doesn't always work if the inspector isn't already open when the page loads, so you may have to refresh, and it often doesn't appear until a lot has loaded, but it lives under the "Other" folder). Then highlight it, and in the right panel it'll give you the full URL. Copy it. Now make sure that the downloads button is visible (you may have to tell Safari to download an arbitrary link or something to make it appear). Click it to open up the downloads pop-up and hit paste. Voila.

Not as easy as finding it in the Activity window and option-clicking, but it works just the same.

copy the link and _open_ QuickTime Player and there "Open Adress". Load the movie completely and than export it. It will make a "videoplayback.mov" file that have exact the same quality than the Web-Vid has.

kebrady

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2012
need help!!

Costee.... how did you get the Preview from snow leopard to work in mountain lion? I need help!! Anyone who can help me I would greatly appreciate it. I followed the link from above, but that got me 5.5.... I need preview from snow leopard.... please help!!!

Riqiv

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2008
NYC
No hand tool!!!

Geez, first Apple removes the little arrow on top and bottom of scroll bar for minute movements and now this!

I take it the people who vet these things don't own computers :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.