Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brettryan

macrumors member
Original poster
May 6, 2009
I upgraded to Mountain Lion last night, now I've just gone to look up an address book entry and it's completely empty.

I can't see any entries in my address book, my mail doesn't recognise names and my Exchange account can not be searched.

I've verified that my contacts are available in iCloud.

Opening address book just shows a title of "Group Label" at the top left side, no entries available

----------

Turns out my contacts disappeared after adding my twitter account.

Removing my twitter account made my contacts reappear.

silver7

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2008
I'm in the same boat as you, except I don't have a twitter account. Contacts are in iCloud but whenever I try to sync it freezes or I get an error. My mail freezes when I try to type anything in address field (really annoying). Entering contact info on webpages also freezes safari, I'm assuming it's looking to my address book to autofill and freezing up.

I use mail a lot, this is a really big inconvenience (takes 5-6 minutes to type in an address to one person in mail - something that should take a few seconds). Hoping for a fix !

petitsuix

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2012
Hannover, Germany
HELP! No more contacts since upgrading to Mountain Lion

Since the yday updgrade, my contacts are gone from my Contacts adress book, but still in Icloud. HELP!!!:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

grahamnp

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2008
This has happened to me also. I can confirm that they are on my iPhone and I can access them through the iCloud web interface. Reminders, notes and other iCloud features appear to work fine.

I also cannot manually add contacts to Contacts. Clicking the button does nothing.

AdiosVista

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2008
Add me to the list, same exact problem. All contacts gone and trying to send an e-mail always freezes. SO ANNOYING!

petitsuix

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2012
Hannover, Germany
Solution

OK, just spent one hour with Mac Support. Problem lies in corrupt user file. Two solutions:
- either you simply create a new user, as administrator. Then you enter your Icloud name and pswrd in Setting/Preferences/Icloud (if not prompted at opening of new user). And all goes well.

-The advanced solution he made me do is
1. Sign Out of iCloud in Settings. Close all applications
2. go to Finder, select your user folder, right click and Get Info. Bottom right, delock it. Then on the left bottom little weel, click on Apply to enclosed items.
3. Restart
This fixes your user. Just amazing how the computer runs smooth and fast now.
But he told me also never to do it again, as once is good enough. So, if your user is not too important to you, just create a new one and it works.

Ciao tutti :))

brettryan

macrumors member
Original poster
May 6, 2009
I solved this by removing all my accounts first.

1. Close all applications
  2. Go to System Preferences > Mail, Contacts & Calendars.
  3. For each account click it then click the [-] button at the bottom left to remove it.
  4. Once all are removed confirm you can see address book entries stored locally on the computer by opening "Contacts", if not try restarting.
  5. Close Contacts
  6. Add each account 1-by-1 back checking in Contacts after each that it has worked.

MacLover2

macrumors newbie
May 22, 2009
My problem slightly different but the same
All of my contacts were listed but some/most didnt show their details ( just name and company)
I then followed the istructions above. Now my have nothing listed in my contacts and I cant even add a contact. Seem the software has stopped working even though it boots up. Extremely frustrating:mad:

st3v0

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2012
mountain lion has stuffed mail and address book

Since upgrading the address book gets cleared when mail launches. Restarting the address book will result in a partial filling of the address book before some obscure error occurs. Mail also runs sluggishly - presumably trying to talk to the address book.
Some solutions revolve around resetting permission on the home folder but this had no effect for me.
Still searching for an answer but probably have to wait for apple to fix it.

jdickson

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2012
I'm in the same boat as you, except I don't have a twitter account. Contacts are in iCloud but whenever I try to sync it freezes or I get an error. My mail freezes when I try to type anything in address field (really annoying). Entering contact info on webpages also freezes safari, I'm assuming it's looking to my address book to autofill and freezing up.

I use mail a lot, this is a really big inconvenience (takes 5-6 minutes to type in an address to one person in mail - something that should take a few seconds). Hoping for a fix !

Same problem. Solved with advice from AppleCare, as follows-
1. Quit all applications.
2. Open user's Library (from Go menu while holding Option key).
3. Open folder "Application Support".
4. Delete folder "AddressBook".

superfight

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2012
Email and Contact List Problems With Mountain Lion

Ok Guys,
Here is the deal. I have been dealing with this issue for a week. At least 9 hours of time fussing with a missing "Contact list" and Email that was unusable.
After searching the net I found this forum that had the answer. I am by no means an apple person. I simply get things handed to me when they don't work and I am VERY disappointed with the Apple Money Making Machine for releasing a product with "issues" that killed my wife's email and forced her back to her phone and ipad for a week. In short:

1) Mac Mail slowed to the point it was unusable. Contacts on iMAC gone. Contacts were in icloud (thank god) and on all devices. Would not hard sync via itunes....nothing.

petitsuix was correct with his post. That fixed my problem.
Also deleted the address book in application support. It seems to be a user account corruption. Again, not a software engineer. Very disappointed in apple for not issuing an email or software update for a fix. There are obviously many many many people with the same issue. Thanks to all of you who take the time to post fixes in detail saving me time and money on the phone with Apple.
Cheers

----------

OK, just spent one hour with Mac Support. Problem lies in corrupt user file. Two solutions:
- either you simply create a new user, as administrator. Then you enter your Icloud name and pswrd in Setting/Preferences/Icloud (if not prompted at opening of new user). And all goes well.

2. go to Finder, select your user folder, right click and Get Info. Bottom right, delock it. Then on the left bottom little weel, click on Apply to enclosed items.
3. Restart
But he told me also never to do it again, as once is good enough. So, if your user is not too important to you, just create a new one and it works.

Thanks so much for taking the time to post. This worked.

colewiebe

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2010
Another fix to the blank Contacts address book

I also updated to Mountain Lion and had my Contacts wiped clean. Mail hung endlessly when attempting to create a new email. I tried one of the fixes described, set up another user account, then entered my iCloud settings. The Contacts appeared in the new user account. My idea was to take the AddressBook folder from the good user account and replace the corrupt one in ~/Library/Application Support. I renamed the existing AddressBook folder by placing an underscore in front of the name. To my surprise, OS X immediately replaced the folder with a brand new AddressBook directory. On a hunch that all the permissions were now fixed, just like the ones for the new user account, I added my iCloud account in Preferences. That did the trick. All the addresses were downloaded from iCloud.

kell1831

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2012
Found a solution!

Since upgrading the address book gets cleared when mail launches. Restarting the address book will result in a partial filling of the address book before some obscure error occurs. Mail also runs sluggishly - presumably trying to talk to the address book.
Some solutions revolve around resetting permission on the home folder but this had no effect for me.
Still searching for an answer but probably have to wait for apple to fix it.

st3v0 - I also had your version of this ugly problem. I was losing data from my Contacts/Address Book within my iPhone, even though it was showing up on my address book on my Mac. At times there were partial filling of the address book, etc.

I took the following steps and it seemed to resolve the problem:

1. Backup AddressBook from Mac. (Make .abbu archive)
2. Removed all contacts from iPhone through iTunes.
3. Close all apps.
4. In Finder, navigate to ~/Library/Application Support/AddressBook
5. Make a backup copy of this entire "AddressBook" folder. (in case things goes wrong.
6. Delete the file AddressBook-v22.abcddb
7. Restart Contacts app (on Mac) and this file will be repopulated.
8. Resync all Contacts afresh onto iPhone using iTunes.

I believe I had a corruption in the internal tables of my "AddressBook-v22.abcddb" file. Deleting it and allowing it to be repopulated seems to have removed whatever was corrupt.

Hope this helps!

JohnMacLean

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2014
I shouldn't have followed this advice

I followed step #2 (Get Info).

I still haven't gotten my Address Book to work, and now Mail is hosed too. Grr!

2006 Mac Pro 2 x 2.66GHz - 10.7.5 - 11GB RAM

3. Restart

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.