Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
Anyone seen a tweak or extension to get the old separate search/URL fields? Not digging the unified bar at all.

moreeadv

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2012
Haven't figured it out. I even called Apple to see if they could split the bar - they didn't know how to. I wonder if this is a "windows" type url/search feature? I'm not liking it. Also, why doesn't Apple supply PDF's of the changes so you could read what they are? At first I was like....."what the......where's my search bar???" lol

Marjamrob1

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2012
this way is a lot better you can put the exact website or typ a word and go right to google

I hate it, because it takes up to much space, and is unnecessarily simple, has anyone tried right clicking, and doing customize toolbar? I am installing it later tonight.

slembcke

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2009
Minnesota
Egh. Yeah it's obnoxious. Safari was the last browser that didn't have the moron bar. Now typing in a domain name sans the TLD brings you to a Google search instead of using search domains. -_- I guess I'll just have to add the .com/net bits to my muscle memory...

(me grumbles incoherently about stupid people that don't know the difference between a search and a URL)

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
I can understand why Apple's programmers believed the URL bar and search bar should be combined -- probably to "simplify" (stupefy?) the app in an IOS kind of way.

However, why not give the user the option to either combine or separate the two bars? Could be done through the Safari prefs dialogs, or, why not put this choice in the "Customize Toolbar..." icon choices?

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Jul 10, 2008
I can understand why Apple's programmers believed the URL bar and search bar should be combined -- probably to "simplify" (stupefy?) the app in an IOS kind of way.

Not a fan either, I think mostly because its so long. I don't care if they are combined, just make it shorter.

And I don't think its meant to be like iOS, since iOS doesn't even have this. Unless iOS 6 does?

jmpage2

macrumors 68040
Sep 14, 2007
OMG this is driving me nuts. Just make it an option to go back to the split search bar. Grrrrrr.

csjcsj

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2011
Sarasota FL
I am tired of Apple dumbing things down and adopting the worst Windows type moves. An integrated bar is as useful as is hiding the library/fonts folder so I can add fonts manually instead of having to deal with their type utility.

If I wanted a Windows machine I would have bought one - they're cheaper.

uuaschbaer

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2009
Given Google's auto-suggest function, will every letter of every URL I ever type be sent to Google? For the time being going back to Firefox, I think.

Edit: Would I be able to use LittleSnitch to forbid Safari sending information to Google?
Edit 2: Well, it does ruin auto-suggest, so that's hopeful.

Last edited:

Pharmscott

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2011
Sacramento, CA
I'm still getting used to it but here's a positive note: When you open a new tab or window, you don't have it defaulted into the search bar when you really want to type a URL.

Glass half full? Anyone? :D

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
I agree, this is one of my less-liked changes in 10.8.

Not for the first time (nor I suspect, the last), I don't see why Apple couldn't just let the user decide, on this case whether they want an omnibar or separate URL/search fields.

Hopefully we will get that option later, or there will be a hack of some sort.

Speaking of how options are good...

Given Google's auto-suggest function, will every letter of every URL I ever type be sent to Google? For the time being going back to Firefox, I think.

Edit: Would I be able to use LittleSnitch to forbid Safari sending information to Google?
Edit 2: Well, it does ruin auto-suggest, so that's hopeful.

Safari has a new Privacy option to turn off search suggestions. Check out its preferences.

NMF

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2011
Wow, I can't believe there are people who prefer the old way. That was actually a dealbreaker for me with the old Safari. What is this, 1995? You guys are crazy.

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Jul 10, 2008
Wow, I can't believe there are people who prefer the old way. That was actually a dealbreaker for me with the old Safari. What is this, 1995? You guys are crazy.

I guess I just dont understand the advantages, whats better about it? I could easily be missing something that would change my mind:confused:.

NMF

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2011
I guess I just dont understand the advantages, whats better about it? I could easily be missing something that would change my mind:confused:.

You're asking the wrong question. What's worse about it? Nothing. There's one bar for whatever you want to do. Whenever I'd cmd-t to open a new tab in the old Safari I'd always start typing and be in the wrong box. There's just no reason to NOT have a unified bar. There's a reason everyone started ripping it off after Google released Chrome. It's the natural evolution of the browser.

dpk

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2008
> What's worse about it? Nothing.

In Safari 5, when you start a search in the search box that search text stays put no matter how many of the resulting links you visit. This means you can easily search for something, check out the results (going as deep as you want), and then easily refine the search by simply hitting your search-bar hotkey (cmd-K for me) and typing. You don't have to navigate all the way back to Google or start from scratch, or rely on saved search history.

There are a lot of people that really like combined search boxes, but there's enough that don't that it should have been retained as an option.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.