Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

twitter1.png

Apple is either actively considering purchasing a major stake in Twitter or discussed making an investment with the social company more than a year ago and the talks have since ceased, depending on which newspaper one wishes to believe.

The New York Times reported tonight that Apple and Twitter were talking "in recent months" about a major strategic investment in the hundreds of millions of dollars.
Apple has considered an investment in the hundreds of millions of dollars, one that could value Twitter at more than $10 billion, up from an $8.4 billion valuation last year, these people said. They declined to be named because the discussions were private.

There is no guarantee that the two companies, which are not in negotiations at the moment, will come to an agreement. But the earlier talks are a sign that they may form a stronger partnership amid intensifying competition from the likes of Google and Facebook.
However, within several hours of the posting of the Times piece, The Wall Street Journal posted a rebuttal of sorts, saying that the Apple/Twitter discussions took place more than a year ago and didn't go anywhere:
Apple Inc. held discussions with Twitter Inc. more than a year ago about taking a strategic investment in the short-messaging service, according to a person familiar with the talks.

People familiar with the matter said there are no current formal investment or acquisition discussions between the companies.

News of the investment talks was first reported by the New York Times.
Apple has run into difficulties in its social media efforts with the Ping social network on the chopping block according to Apple CEO Tim Cook. Walter Isaacson, Steve Jobs' biographer, said recently that social was one nut that Steve Jobs couldn't crack.

In the past year, rather than building its own social product, Apple has partnered with both Twitter and Facebook to integrate their API's into the new versions of both the iOS and OS X platforms.

Article Link: Apple Considered Purchasing a Large Stake in Twitter

ironsienna

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2010
Expect a "tweet this song" menu option in the next version of iTunes when right click on a song in your list!

Exciting.............!!

well..

yawn....

BC2009

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2009
I don't see why this even matters. Recent news from Facebook and Zynga show that the social media model only gets you so far.

That is because social networking is a feature and not a standalone business in my opinion. Same goes for Dropbox. Eventually you hit a wall where you really can't make that much more money.

east85

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2010
Honestly I really don't care for the Twitter microblogging format. I think that this only makes sense for Apple considering the cozy relationship and favoritism involved in the new version of OS X. Call me a pessimist but I think even Apple couldn't manage to make Twitter more appealing to me. At least more appealing than the competition.

Anlino

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2012
As long as they don't force Twitter to put a blue leather texture in the background, I would be fine with it. Twitter seem to be going to **** either way, and I don't see how this could make it worse.

Alfred.Woodden

macrumors regular
Dec 19, 2007
Norway
I'm all for them investing in Twitter, to keep the money flowing, and the network to get better.

I'm not for them down right buying Twitter. That could go bad.

DaMike8

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2011
Since Apple has a large liquid amount of cash investments sitting around doing nothing, they can be buying other or part of companies which can help benefit them in the future. I think Tim Cook wants to have as many things as possible that can benefit them. They want to cover the whole spectrum of marketing and add as many hardware and software capabilities from different companies. Social networking isn't one of them.... yet ;)

numlock

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2006
That is because social networking is a feature and not a standalone business in my opinion. Same goes for Dropbox. Eventually you hit a wall where you really can't make that much more money.

have there been any news regarding dropbox finances recently?

but its good that apple is considering so much. too bad its not its desktop setup, proper web services, casual and pro computer software etc etc

iEvolution

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
still never understood the hype with twitter unless you're one of those people that think a celebrities life is more important than your own.

Last edited:

dewso

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2012
An Apple Social Networking Site? Yes, please.

And it better be not like Ping.

No, just no.
It'll be a mess, requiring to own apple products to be a part of it, its just not right.
If Apple was a major partner of one, then yeah sure.

bb426

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2011
California
still never understood the hype with twitter unless you're one of those people that think a celebrities life is more important than your own.

Ugh, what is Courier New doing here?

----------

I see a LOT more use for Apple and Facebook to get closer, rather than Apple and Twitter... I can't for the life of me even force myself to use Twitter.

b166er

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2010
Philly
It took me a long time to "get" twitter. I resisted it for years, but recently I think I understand it's value and use a little better- at least for me personally. It's a great way to get breaking news, concert dates, even amber alerts. I agree it is saturated with celebrity BS, but that is why you can pick and choose who you follow. If you take the time you can basically make a newsfeed that is tailored to exactly what you want to see. And some celebrities actually use twitter to interact with people rather than just post lame updates- for example I got advice from a guitar player I admire on how to properly play something, directed specifically at me. I think that's pretty cool but twitter is all about your individual interests.

Twitter and Facebook have proven themselves I think. Apple is better off pairing with them rather than trying to create their own thing.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
Oh Apple, we all know you are quite possibly the WORST company to run a social network so don't even bother trying.

Rufuss Sewell

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2010
Austin, TX
Ping could have been amazing if they would have let small indie bands join on day one.

Social is about discovering new things and sharing new experinces with people. No one needed to discover Lady Gaga or Elton John etc. who were the only artists allowed on Ping at launch.

Also the bands themselves would have promoted the hell out of Ping. It makes me very sad that Apple chose the elitist route and we all lost out on what could have been an amazing tool for bands and music fans.

Otaviano

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2007
Ping could have been amazing if they would have let small indie bands join on day one.

Social is about discovering new things and sharing new experinces with people. No one needed to discover Lady Gaga or Elton John etc. who were the only artists allowed on Ping at launch.

Also the bands themselves would have promoted the hell out of Ping. It makes me very sad that Apple chose the elitist route and we all lost out on what could have been an amazing tool for bands and music fans.

No way, Ping was always going to be a failure. Perhaps if Facebook integration had been there and was applied in the way Spotify is integrated with Facebook.

.Andy

macrumors 68030
Jul 18, 2004
The Mergui Archipelago
It appears you don't understand the hype with twitter because you don't understand that there are many more facets to it than just celebrities. Like all social networking it is only as good as your imagination and interests.

jjs555

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2012
These articles are not contradictory. Even in your pullquotes, both of them clearly state that the companies are not in active negotiations.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.