Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jrock2004

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 4, 2008
PA
I would like to know if people are disabling this feature. I have cause I needed to install Git but wondering if others are just keeping this disabled. Thanks

steve-p

macrumors 68000
Oct 14, 2008
Newbury, UK
I left mine set to MAS and identified developers and all seems fine.

Did you have to disable it totally to get git to work? I read somewhere that you can right click something it doesn't like and pick 'Open' in the menu, accept the warning, and after that it will let you run that particular thing anytime.

jrock2004

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 4, 2008
PA
I see nothing for right clicking that allows users to make an exception. I think its time to shut it off

iVikD

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2011
Spain
Definitely shut off. I already bought a locked-down iPhone and iPad (which I promptly jailbroke,) don't need a locked-down computer too, even if it's 'for my own safety'...

dyn

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2009
.nl
I would like to know if people are disabling this feature. I have cause I needed to install Git but wondering if others are just keeping this disabled. Thanks
I installed Git with Gatekeeper on its default settings. I simply used the override feature it has. You need to hold the ctrl-key, rightclick the .pkg file and select "open". You now get a dialog asking you if you are sure you want to override ok/cancel (or something like that). Hit "ok" and it will fire up the installer and install without any problems. If you add /usr/local/git/bin as the first entry (the top one) in /etc/paths you'll get the newly installed Git as the default version. If you don't do this it will use the one in /usr/bin which is what comes with Xcode/OSX.

steve-p

macrumors 68000
Oct 14, 2008
Newbury, UK
Definitely shut off. I already bought a locked-down iPhone and iPad (which I promptly jailbroke,) don't need a locked-down computer too, even if it's 'for my own safety'...

Each to their own, but turning something off on principle unless it's causing you a specific problem seems a bit over the top.

mabaker

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2008
For my mother I left it well ON. This is the best feature Apple has built in in ML.

iVikD

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2011
Spain
Each to their own, but turning something off on principle unless it's causing you a specific problem seems a bit over the top.

As you say, each to their own. As a developer, there's a lot of somethings that must be downloaded all the time, and I'd rather shut it off entirely. However, for the average end-user, it does have its usefulness.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.