Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Viber

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2010
@Ansaar83 -
The authorities in the UAE have decided to block Viber in the whole country, and that is why you are experiencing this issue. Unfortunately there is not much we can do to help :(
Try contacting the authorities and ask for the reason for this block.

@technowar -
Video calling is something we are considering to implement in the future. Once we have news, we'll let you know :)

hanizak

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2012
Viber security issue

I noticed today that one of my contacts in my viber list acquired a picture which I did not put there. It is my home contact. I cant delete the picture, it keeps coming back. If I delete the contact it deletes it from my iPhone list too. Does this mean someone hacked into my viber account. I find this intrusive. I live in the UK. Any help would be appreciated

Viber

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2010
I noticed today that one of my contacts in my viber list acquired a picture which I did not put there. It is my home contact. I cant delete the picture, it keeps coming back. If I delete the contact it deletes it from my iPhone list too. Does this mean someone hacked into my viber account. I find this intrusive. I live in the UK. Any help would be appreciated

Hi Hanizak,
Don't worry, it's not a hack to your Viber account :)

Viber simply gives preference for showing users' pictures as THEY set them. Meaning, if you set a picture for a contact, but that contact later set a different picture for himself, your Viber will display that contact's photo even in your Viber.

Naomeow

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2012
Viber does not work after update

My viber got updated yesterday and it has till then not worked. I have been able to make calls from my HTC Incredible S to a friend's Iphone but I have not been able to even send a message to other phones.
My boyfriend lives in the US and he uses a Samsung Galaxy S2. Before the update even though the call quality wasn't that great we were able to text each other. However since the update I haven't been able to send a single message. Though I've called my cousin in Australia who uses an Iphone 4.

None of my other friends who use different Samsung and Sony Ericsson models have gotten my texts.

I have tried restarting my phone and reinstalled viber twice. Nothing has helped.

Please help!!

hanizak

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2012
Hi Hanizak,
Don't worry, it's not a hack to your Viber account :)

Viber simply gives preference for showing users' pictures as THEY set them. Meaning, if you set a picture for a contact, but that contact later set a different picture for himself, your Viber will display that contact's photo even in your Viber.

Thank you for the prompt reply. I understand what you are saying, however the contact which had the picture inserted in it is actually me. It happens to be my home number and I know I did not insert that picture there. I click on edit picture and say delete it and I insert a new picture but once I say done it goes back to the unwanted picture... I am still worried

Viber

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2010
Thank you for the prompt reply. I understand what you are saying, however the contact which had the picture inserted in it is actually me. It happens to be my home number and I know I did not insert that picture there. I click on edit picture and say delete it and I insert a new picture but once I say done it goes back to the unwanted picture... I am still worried

Have you ever registered a Viber account using your home number?
Does it appear as a Viber User (having the Viber logo) next to it, inside Viber's contact list?

hanizak

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2012
Have you ever registered a Viber account using your home number?
Does it appear as a Viber User (having the Viber logo) next to it, inside Viber's contact list?

Hello Viber
I registered my account using my mobile number. My home number appears in the Viber list of contacts with the word viber to the left of it. That image is still on. I am going to deactivate my account and start again... Is that possible? Thank you for the help

Viber

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2010
Hello Viber
I registered my account using my mobile number. My home number appears in the Viber list of contacts with the word viber to the left of it. That image is still on. I am going to deactivate my account and start again... Is that possible? Thank you for the help

Deactivating your own account (registered with your mobile number) will not help this issue. It seems like your Viber "thinks" that your home number was registered to Viber. This might be a confusion in our server, that signaled to your account that your landline number is registered (a mix-up with numbers).

In order to investigate this issue, I invite you to contact me via Private Message and provide more details. We can run a check through our server to get more information, and get to the bottom of it :)

techiegeek1225

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2012
Hello! This could be my 2nd question re Viber. The other day, an old pal just messaged me on my Viber, and I got surprised. No biggie on the thought of my pal chatting with me (after 6 years!) but I was just shocked to learn that anyone, even not in my contact list, can message me that easy.
I just wanna confirm if upon registering with Viber using my cellphone number, anyone can easily send me messages, or even call me, automatically?
Thanks!

Viber

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2010
Hello! This could be my 2nd question re Viber. The other day, an old pal just messaged me on my Viber, and I got surprised. No biggie on the thought of my pal chatting with me (after 6 years!) but I was just shocked to learn that anyone, even not in my contact list, can message me that easy.
I just wanna confirm if upon registering with Viber using my cellphone number, anyone can easily send me messages, or even call me, automatically?
Thanks!

Hi,

When you register to Viber, any Viber user who has your contact in THEIR phone receives a notification that you joined Viber.
Now, after you installed Viber, they will be able to call or text you through the app.

But when you think about it, this is not different than the regular, cellular service at all. If anyone in the world had your phone number, wouldn't they simply be able to call or text you, even if you didn't have their number saved on your phone? ;)

Sanyamalik

macrumors newbie
Aug 1, 2012
Can get code

Hi im living in uae and using etisalat sim...i use viber on my 9780 blackberry . I used it for sometime n then deleted it now i reinstalled it ,,,, everything went smooth as soon as i startto use it it ask for number i provided it it said it will send 4 digit code but thatcode never comes to my number ,it is sent on all other numbers of du or etisalat ... The other way start it ,, in case i dont get code in 60 sec is blocked in uae ....wat to do now .... Urgent help!!!

Viber

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2010
Hi im living in uae and using etisalat sim...i use viber on my 9780 blackberry . I used it for sometime n then deleted it now i reinstalled it ,,,, everything went smooth as soon as i startto use it it ask for number i provided it it said it will send 4 digit code but thatcode never comes to my number ,it is sent on all other numbers of du or etisalat ... The other way start it ,, in case i dont get code in 60 sec is blocked in uae ....wat to do now .... Urgent help!!!

The authorities in the UAE have decided to block Viber in the whole country, and that is why you are experiencing this issue. Unfortunately there is not much we can do to help :(

Sanyamalik

macrumors newbie
Aug 1, 2012
viber code

but one of my sister she is using bb on her bb9900 and its working on her etisalat sim , and my another sis she downloaded viber on her du number on her sony ericsson xperoa arc s... if i write their number to access code , the code is promptly delivered its not jus sent on my number :(

Viber

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2010
but one of my sister she is using bb on her bb9900 and its working on her etisalat sim , and my another sis she downloaded viber on her du number on her sony ericsson xperoa arc s... if i write their number to access code , the code is promptly delivered its not jus sent on my number :(

To be honest, we are not quite sure about the exact method that is used in the UAE to block Viber, but as far as we know the block is gradual (meaning it doesn't affect everyone immediately). This might be the reason for their ability to user Viber.

Unfortunately there is not much we can do to help here. Until this block is lifted (if ever), you might want to simply register with another, different number. Like your home landline number, a temporary prepaid number, etc.

EmilyC

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2012
Viber Picture Messaging

I have recently upgraded from HTC Wildfire to Desire, and I can't send or recieve photo messages on Viber.

It worked fine on my Wildfire but now, when I try to recieve a photo it says "Please insert SD card or stop USB storage". I have never had an SD card in this phone, and there is no setting for USB storage... I don't even know what that means.

When I try to send a photo, I touch the camera icon, select the picture, and then nothing happens. I am returned to the conversation screen, but nothing has happened.

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling but no dice. Could you please help?

Last edited:

Viber

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2010
I have recently upgraded from HTC Wildfire to Desire, and I can't send or recieve photo messages on Viber.

It worked fine on my Wildfire but now, when I try to recieve a photo it says "Please insert SD card or stop USB storage". I have never had an SD card in this phone, and there is no setting for USB storage... I don't even know what that means.

When I try to send a photo, I touch the camera icon, select the picture, and then nothing happens. I am returned to the conversation screen, but nothing has happened.

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling but no dice. Could you please help?

Are you absolutely sure your new HTC doesn't contain an SD Card? (even an internal one?)
If you find out that it does, please check out this page in our official HelpDesk: http://helpme.viber.com/index.php?/Knowledgebase/Article/View/111/0/transfer-viber-to-your-sd-card

If there is no SD Card for sure, we invite you to contact our Support Team via this direct link, and give the details of the problem: http://bit.ly/ukGVJ0
They will try to assist you further :)

renemac

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2012
viber problems after update to 2.2.0

I have updated viber to version 2.2.0 both on my iPhone 4S on iOS 5.1.1 and Samsung Galaxy with Android 2.3.3 and got the following problems:
1. Problems on iOS
- under viber contacts only those viber contacts are displayed which are in the "Recents" list (7)
- it is possible to "revive" viber contacts (bring them back into the viber contacts list or display the viber symbol in the contact) by deleting the space between the digits in the phone number of a contact in the address book, but this is somehow annoying with 31 contacts plus it didn't work in all cases
2. Problems on Android
- the addresses are displayed first name first although under the contacts app I have it last name first
- and I didn't find a way to change this -- again very anoying

Other than that: it's a great application. In particular I like the concept that it works just like a phone and unlike e.g. skype

Viber

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2010
@Tilpots -

Viber utilizes your phone's main volume+vibration settings. If your phone is on Silent Mode (and this contains vibration), Viber will act the same :)

@renemac -
Thank you for the elaborate report of the problems.
iOS:
1. This is probably related to issue (2)
2. We are not familiar with a case where numbers (in iPhone's contact list itself) are saved with spaces between the digits. Is this really the case on your phone? Is this common in your country, and valid?

* Could you please give an example?

Android:
1. This is a known issue that we plan to attend to in the future. We apologize for the temporary inconvenience :(
Meanwhile, I recommend you to use the following direct link and report this issue to our Support Team, who will look into it further with the help of the details that you give them: http://bit.ly/ukGVJ0

Thank you for the kind compliments :)

Julieyio

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2012
What does it mean in viber when next to a name in your text recipient list it says "no messages" instead of the last message from that conversation? Could it mean the last message was not delivered? Thanks

Tilpots

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2006
Carolina Beach, NC
@Tilpots -

Viber utilizes your phone's main volume+vibration settings. If your phone is on Silent Mode (and this contains vibration), Viber will act the same :)

Thanks, you've narrowed my problem. Let me rephrase: When my phone is on vibrate, Viber does not vibrate. Ever. I have to hold my phone in my sight line to see a call coming in. It also does not wake the screen when a call comes in. I do use Bluetooth often, and it will make a sound in my earpiece when a call comes in, but it should also vibrate and it does not. The Bluetooth always makes a sound for incoming calls even when set to vibrate only. Any ideas?

I love the app to communicate with my brother overseas, but I constantly miss his calls due to this issue. I sell phones for a living and give iPhone training classes so I'm 95% sure it's not an issue on my end. I'm more than willing to help troubleshoot if desired. PM me if I can be of service. Thanks!!!

claire28

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2012
Admin,will my viber still work if i'll go to switzerland?the number that i registered on viber was a philippine number..pls rep

S.pat

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2012
Hi,
I am an Australian using viber on an iPhone in Europe and am currently in morocco. I had no problems with international texts/call at home but now that I am away, I can receive texts and calls but not send them. When I try to call, I get an error message that says I have connection problems. (it says to check the connection and try again or something similar).
When I text they just don't send.

Please help!?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.