Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ObeseSquirrel

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 22, 2011
I have a 2010 13" MBP with 8 GB RAM and a Corsair Performance Pro SSD.

I downloaded and installed ML as soon as it became available (three days ago), and haven't experienced any problems until this morning. Now, Safari will start work fine for about 15 minutes, and then it will become unresponsive: I can switch tabs, but pages will not scroll and buttons will not work. Before the problem starts, Safari will consume apr. 1.5-2.5 GB of RAM, and feel very snappy. Then, it will skyrocket up to 5 GB and start paging out maybe 6 GB more. My Activity Monitor will show many the rest filled with Inactive Memory that the OS will not release until I quit Safari. CPU will shoot from about 15% to 99-120%

I normally have 30-50 tabs open at any given time, and I know that's a lot. Never had this problem with Lion though, which is a shame since ML was so much better when it was actually working.

If anyone can help me, I would appreciate it. Disk Utility, rebooting, resetting Safari, quitting Safari, and disabling the Adblock extension do not solve the problem.

ObeseSquirrel

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 22, 2011
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1379

Oh and also go to Disk Utility and click "Verify Disk" to ensure that the disk is paging memory correctly.

I had already verified the disk. Nothing showed up. I reset PRAM and SMC after installing ML, but maybe I can try that again.

On the last couple of startups (since having this problem) the startup chime has been louder, which is what it sounds like when you reset the PRAM.

Last edited:

DiamonDecoden

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2011
Texas

If anyone can help me, I would appreciate it. Disk Utility, rebooting, resetting Safari, quitting Safari, and disabling the Adblock extension do not solve the problem.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1379

Oh and also go to Disk Utility and click "Verify Disk" to ensure that the disk is paging memory correctly.

nope.. OP said it doesn't help. so disappointed in ML. I'm having many issues with it as well

ObeseSquirrel

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 22, 2011
PRAM/SMC reset did not work. Left Safari running for a couple of hours, and this is what I got:

2012-07-28 06.27.27 pm.png

What the hell is going on here??? Nothing like this happened in the first three days running ML. :confused:

(I had to restart Safari just to write this post.)

Last edited:

BPeter

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2012

I downloaded and installed ML as soon as it became available (three days ago), and haven't experienced any problems until this morning. Now, Safari will start work fine for about 15 minutes, and then it will become unresponsive[...]

I also have MBP 13" 2010 with 8 GB RAM. Since I installed Mountain Lion (I did clean install couple days ago and updated the EFI bios as well), the OSX already crashed twice on me. The first time, the system became completely unresponsive with corrupted display (although I could still use trackpad to move cursor). I had to force reboot the machine.

Today the system crashed again when I was using Numbers and browsing with Safari. Suddenly the system became unresponsive just like the first time (but with much less dramatic corruption of the graphics). And as before, after waiting a couple of minutes I had to do forced reboot...

I did not have any crashes with Snow Leopard 10.6.8 I was running on the very same notebook prior to installing Mountain Lion - so I don't think the MBP hardware could be at fault.

In case of both crashes, I was using Safari while the computer was busy executing other tasks (formatting data in Numbers or saving files into iCloud, etc. - the "beach ball" was on the screen).

It makes me wonder if there is a possible compatibility issue between my MBP 2010 and ML, or there is a bug in Safari (or elsewhere) that can halt OSX in its tracks.

EDIT: The Safari crashed/halted the OSX ML again. :(
I can't afford risking losing my work due to crashes.
I'm switching to Chrome. I'll go back to Safari after it's fixed.

Last edited:

ObeseSquirrel

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 22, 2011
I might have found a solution. I disabled the "Set minimum tab size to Favicon size" in Glims. So far, so good. If that was the problem, it might have something to do with the way Safari 6 changed tab-sizing behavior (few tabs can span the whole screen).

But honestly, why can't Safari support this feature without the help of a plugin?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.