Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What do you think is the best combo?

• iPhone 5 + Nexus 7

Votes: 25 40.3%
  • Nexus + iPad

Votes: 37 59.7%

• Total voters

mcman77

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 22, 2011
Hi all,

I would like to experience both platforms as I like them both and know that they both have their own place. Not sure what my best combo is though.

Currently leaning more toward iPhone 5 + nexus 7.

The other option is Nexus phone + iPad (maybe mini)

[not sure where to post this but lets keep it civil please]

gmanist1000

macrumors 68030
Sep 22, 2009
Hi all,

I would like to experience both platforms as I like them both and know that they both have their own place. Not sure what my best combo is though.

[not sure where to post this but lets keep it civil please]

It probably depends on if you prefer iOS or android for your phone since you're going to be using that device more often.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
I went from an iPhone to an Android + iPad 3rd Gen, and it's really the best way to get both worlds.

I require my smartphone to do more since it's with me all the time (emails and attachments, better keyboard for typing, etc), whereas I require my tablet to do less (games, browse the web comfortably, etc.) so iOS' limitations are not a hindrance in anyway.

Besides, iOS really thrives on a tablet. It's the best place to enjoy the spoils of what iOS has to offer (apps, games, etc).

brendu

Cancelled
Apr 23, 2009
I agree with Galaxy Nexus + iPad. I am about to replace my iPhone with the GNex to play with android and get on a cheaper tmobile plan.

mcman77

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 22, 2011
It probably depends on if you prefer iOS or android for your phone since you're going to be using that device more often.

I like both. Have absolutely no preference for one over another. If I could however, I would probably like a custom OS written by apple engineers strictly for me :rolleyes:

I went from an iPhone to an Android + iPad 3rd Gen, and it's really the best way to get both worlds.

I require my smartphone to do more since it's with me all the time (emails and attachments, better keyboard for typing, etc), whereas I require my tablet to do less (games, browse the web comfortably, etc.) so iOS' limitations are not a hindrance in anyway.

Besides, iOS really thrives on a tablet. It's the best place to enjoy the spoils of what iOS has to offer (apps, games, etc).

Thanks, this is what i'm looking for. Solid opinions. Personally I feel that I would want a phone that works, and just works. I would probably want my tab to be as much of a laptop substitute as possible, hence me prefering the nexus 7 route.

I will take your points into consideration. What phone do you have btw?

definitely android + ipad. definitely definitely

Care to expand please? :)

I agree with Galaxy Nexus + iPad. I am about to replace my iPhone with the GNex to play with android and get on a cheaper tmobile plan.

I feel i'd rather 'play' with a tablet though, makes more sense.

Ddyracer

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2009
Hi all,

I deducted you would like the iPhone + Nexus 7, based on what you said below this post.

Then you should get it. Remember, get what suits you, forget us. I know you want our feedback but it's just going to be full of opinions like this one.

This is a good choice if you want a bigger smartphone with android, bigger tablet with the apple fluidity. It would suit you depending on how you like your devices.

Big Smartphone, Small Tablet? Small Smartphone, Small Tablet? Or Big tablet, Small Smartphone? Big Tablet, Big Smartphone? All preference here.

Refers to above:

1: Galaxy Note, Nexus 7,
2: iPhone, Nexus 7,
3: iPad, iPhone,
4: Galaxy Note, iPad.

I diggin' the small smartphone, small tablet. 3gs, and Galaxy Tab 2 7.0.

Hoped I helped some :)

Last edited:

Orange Furball

macrumors 65816
May 18, 2012
Scranton, PA, USA
I deducted you would like the iPhone + Nexus 7, based on what you said below this post.

Then you should get it. Remember, get what suits you, forget us. I know you want our feedback but it's just going to be full of opinions like this one.

This is a good choice if you want a bigger smartphone with android, bigger tablet with the apple fluidity. It would suit you depending on how you like your devices.

Big Smartphone, Small Tablet? Small Smartphone, Small Tablet? Or Big tablet, Small Smartphone? Big Tablet, Big Smartphone? All preference here.

Refers to above:

1: Galaxy Note, Nexus 7,
2: iPhone, Nexus 7,
3: iPad, iPhone,
4: Galaxy Note, iPad.

I have a galaxy note and HP touch pad (same exact size as ipad) and they complement each other well.

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012

Sorry to derail slightly but may I ask why you prefer the Android keyboard? I ask because I've just begun thinking about switching from IP4s to GNex for the bigger screen + Android, and I type a LOT on my phone and consider the keyboard to be utterly important. (I've only been able to test in stores where the phones are horribly set up and laggy as hell, and all my friends have iPhones.)

On topic: iOS definitely shines the most on the iPad so I'm planning to go GNex + iPad 3d gen. While it seems that Android shines the most on phones - I love the whole customizable homescreen thing + instant info from widgets, which is more important to me on the phone which I use all day than on the tablet.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Sorry to derail slightly but may I ask why you prefer the Android keyboard? I ask because I've just begun thinking about switching from IP4s to GNex for the bigger screen + Android, and I type a LOT on my phone and consider the keyboard to be utterly important. (I've only been able to test in stores where the phones are horribly set up and laggy as hell, and all my friends have iPhones.)

What do you think of the iOS keyboard? To me, when I owned the 4/4S, the keyboard felt like it couldn't keep up with how fast I thumb. It would (and still does on my iPad 3rd Gen) often miss keys, give me back ridiculous autocorrections, and the fact that there's no control over what words the dictionary saves really made the typing experience (and thus the email/texting messaging, googling experience, and anything else requiring typing) pretty dreadful.

The reason I find the stock Android keyboard (I actually prefer ICS over JB, but I'll explain more on this in a sec...) better is because it's far more responsive. I barely experience any missed keys. Also, the ability to decide what words the dictionary remembers and doesn't remember adds so much to the typing experience. The suggestion bar too is a blessing.

Editing is a bit of a toss up. On the one hand, I like how iOS snaps certain words, sentences and even paragraphs when I'm highlighting. On the other hand, I find "micro-editing" easier with the cursor that Android offers.

The one thing, and only one thing, that iOS keyboard does better than the stock Android keyboard is shortcuts. Google really missed the point of shortcuts in JB because instead of automatically changing your shortcut to the desired phrase, it offers it up in the suggestion bar, which adds an additional step having to pick the desired phrase. Kind of defeats the purpose of the shortcut.

Plus, I haven't even opened up the discussion to the plethora of other third party keyboards that are out there that offer some amazing alternatives (Swype, I especially love for one hand use).

Having said all that, I think Google really took a step back with the Jelly Bean keyboard. Strangely, it's become more like the iOS keyboard (but it's still better). I've noticed it misses keys more often, and misses autocorrections every now and then (for example: I should never ever see the word "tge" unless I've actively chosen it from the suggestion bar. "Tge" should autocorrect to "the" all the time, and it usually does, but every now and then, it shows up in my messages. It's as if the OS missed it or forgot to correct it. This happens with other words too every now and then, and it never did this in ICS; I don't know why it does it in JB, and I'm hoping a patch will remedy this in the future). Also, backspacing isn't smooth on JB anymore, whereas it was super smooth to backspace on ICS. I'm really not sure what exactly happened, but Google definitely changed or rewrote the algorithms or data/code or something for the JB keyboard and somehow made it clunkier, slower and less reliable.

It was near perfect on ICS. : shrug :

However, JB or ICS keyboard is still leagues better than iOS'.

That's been my experience, and like you, I'm a big big keyboard guy. If you dig up my old old posts on this forum and on the XDA forums, that was almost all I ever talked about.

And while I think there's something fundamentally wrong with the iOS keyboard software-wise (because the same issues happen when typing on my iPad's larger screen), the extra real estate is a nice plus on the GN.

Good luck.

nickchallis92

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2012
London
Care to expand please? :)

Yeah, sorry haha.

The Android experience on high-end smartphones is simply fantastic. The basic UI is quite fraakly untouchable, and with the latest Jellybean update, it is clearly the best mobile OS out there. It simply allows you to do more advanced-pc like functions if you want to, without getting in the way of doing just basic things.

I do also have an asus transformer prime and an 3rd gen iPad. This is almost identical to the nexus 7 in terms of hardware, but runs ICS as opposed to JB. I find the asus a bit lacking but can't quite put my finger on it. The smoothness you get from a top-end android phone or ios device isnt there and the app collection is a bit lacking. It's not a bad device by any means but it just isn't quite as mature as the iPad 3 is. That said I don't use an ipad because of its lack of file manager and physical keyboard but I can see how it might appeal to the more casual user.

that's just my opinion. What I will say is that if you're going to get an android smartphone, i would recommend samsung. They provide the best hardware and merge it excellently with the software. I'm not saying anything else is bad, but samsung have just hit the nail on the head. They're also pretty good with updates too. A Galaxy Nexus or Galaxy S3 would be fine choices. You may also wish to wait for the next nexus though which I'm sure will be fantastic.

good luck!

mcman77

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 22, 2011

Thanks for reminding me as I totally forgot why I started looking at tablets in the first place. It will be mainly used for my commute to work. 50mins each way. And so I prefer to make it a productive 2 hours of my day or maybe use that time to catch up on other media. So.

1. Ebook reading.
2. Watching tutorials (downloaded, some from utube)
3. maybe watching normal movies on some days.

Not sure if it will replace my 11.6" as I use this mainly and an iMac for work (own projects). If it does replace my small laptop then i'll sell it which is a big bonus for me.

I'm thinking about going this route to be honest but i'm still to make up my mind.
Looks to be a very good combo....(even though initally I was tempted to go galaxy note and not have a tablet)

Yeah, sorry haha.

good luck!

Thanks for your input...but this just adds to my dilemma now! :rolleyes:

asr10 user

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2010
I got rid of all my ios stuff and got a Galaxy 3, but want to get an iPad 3 (already have an HP Touchpad) because I miss some iOS stuff. But the biggest reason to go android phone and ios tablet is the android phone can wirelessly tether to the tablet for free.

So if I were to get an iphone 5 and stick with my hp touchpad, the touchpad would be useless when i was out unless I was willing to pay the extra to have the iphone tether.

dkersten

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2010
Honestly, I think it comes down to what the next iPhone brings to the table.

The things we are most likely going to see is 4G and a bigger screen. If you are ok with those upgrades then by all means get the iPhone and Android tablet.
On a side note, I'm really hoping that isn't the design (longer screen) of the next iPhone or that the back with 2 different materials is a groundbreaking new feature. What that feature could be I don't have a clue.

However if you are wanting more from the iPhone get an Android phone (such as a SGS3 or something similar) and get an iPad. At the moment, I feel like the iPad is more functional than Android tablets just because of all the third party apps developed specifically for the iPad.

Again, your choice, just my spin on the situation.

Good luck!

Pompiliu

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2012
Android on tablets pretty much sucks. On phones it's ok.

I'd say android phone and iPad.;)

kdarling

macrumors P6
OP, your apparent desire for a smaller tablet of course points at Android as the only current choice. Hopefully Apple brings out their own mini iPad to give us more choice in that respect.

Otherwise, definitely an Android phone and an iPad.

Choose Android for the phone (for on the go) because it has a higher integration of add-on apps, larger available screens, and constant updating of core apps by Google... which I think is more important than worrying about the OS version. Like others, I also greatly prefer having a Back button on a high-usage device. (If you barely use your phone, then it's not a factor.)

Choose iPad for the tablet (left at home) because it has a larger choice of apps made for that screen size. For minor example, Flipboard on an Android tablet is "okay" right now, but isn't optimized for it like the iOS version (hopefully the developers will kick up the Android version soon). It's also faster and smoother at this point. The downside is that Apple doesn't include a GPS in their tablets unless you pay for the 3G/4G model, but if you stay at home that's okay.

Umm. You know what, it depends on what you use most. I use my phone for quick and constant interaction and moving between apps and gathering instant info, but I use the iPad (and 7" Android tablets) around the home mostly for web surfing, games (for my daughter) and apps like Mint.

In any case, it's definitely smart to know how to use both OSes.

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
What do you think of the iOS keyboard? To me, when I owned the 4/4S, the keyboard felt like it couldn't keep up with how fast I thumb. It would (and still does on my iPad 3rd Gen) often miss keys, give me back ridiculous autocorrections, and the fact that there's no control over what words the dictionary saves really made the typing experience (and thus the email/texting messaging, googling experience, and anything else requiring typing) pretty dreadful.

The reason I find the stock Android keyboard (I actually prefer ICS over JB, but I'll explain more on this in a sec...) better is because it's far more responsive. I barely experience any missed keys. Also, the ability to decide what words the dictionary remembers and doesn't remember adds so much to the typing experience. The suggestion bar too is a blessing.

Editing is a bit of a toss up. On the one hand, I like how iOS snaps certain words, sentences and even paragraphs when I'm highlighting. On the other hand, I find "micro-editing" easier with the cursor that Android offers.

The one thing, and only one thing, that iOS keyboard does better than the stock Android keyboard is shortcuts. Google really missed the point of shortcuts in JB because instead of automatically changing your shortcut to the desired phrase, it offers it up in the suggestion bar, which adds an additional step having to pick the desired phrase. Kind of defeats the purpose of the shortcut.

Plus, I haven't even opened up the discussion to the plethora of other third party keyboards that are out there that offer some amazing alternatives (Swype, I especially love for one hand use).

Having said all that, I think Google really took a step back with the Jelly Bean keyboard. Strangely, it's become more like the iOS keyboard (but it's still better). I've noticed it misses keys more often, and misses autocorrections every now and then (for example: I should never ever see the word "tge" unless I've actively chosen it from the suggestion bar. "Tge" should autocorrect to "the" all the time, and it usually does, but every now and then, it shows up in my messages. It's as if the OS missed it or forgot to correct it. This happens with other words too every now and then, and it never did this in ICS; I don't know why it does it in JB, and I'm hoping a patch will remedy this in the future). Also, backspacing isn't smooth on JB anymore, whereas it was super smooth to backspace on ICS. I'm really not sure what exactly happened, but Google definitely changed or rewrote the algorithms or data/code or something for the JB keyboard and somehow made it clunkier, slower and less reliable.

It was near perfect on ICS. : shrug :

However, JB or ICS keyboard is still leagues better than iOS'.

That's been my experience, and like you, I'm a big big keyboard guy. If you dig up my old old posts on this forum and on the XDA forums, that was almost all I ever talked about.

And while I think there's something fundamentally wrong with the iOS keyboard software-wise (because the same issues happen when typing on my iPad's larger screen), the extra real estate is a nice plus on the GN.

Good luck.

Disabling next word prediction returns the jellybean keyboard back to how it was in ICS.

You also can find the exact ICS keyboard in the play store if you search ICS keyboard. Works on all devices including gingerbread.

mcman77

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 22, 2011
So my thread has been moved into the 'Alternatives to iOS' even though it includes iOS and iOS devives!

Thanks mods....looks like Android is becoming blasphemy around here.

How lame...

I got rid of all my ios stuff and got a Galaxy 3, but want to get an iPad 3 (already have an HP Touchpad) because I miss some iOS stuff. But the biggest reason to go android phone and ios tablet is the android phone can wirelessly tether to the tablet for free.

So if I were to get an iphone 5 and stick with my hp touchpad, the touchpad would be useless when i was out unless I was willing to pay the extra to have the iphone tether.

This!! This is a vital point. Looking for more of these solid point to take into consideration. Thanks

OP, your apparent desire for a smaller tablet of course points at Android as the only current choice. Hopefully Apple brings out their own mini iPad to give us more choice in that respect.

You know you are right, my obvious choice is a nexus 7 which then only leaves me with an iPhone.

Even though you are correct by many things you stated I think i'd appreciate more doing less with my phone (ios) and more with my tablet.

I'll be carrying my tablet to and from work every day, 5 days a week, and have it around the house on weekends except when I go out. I think that an iPhone should be adequate to handle that. Dont you?

I think that spending most of my week with a tablet should also be sufficient especially if its an android?

Honestly, I think it comes down to what the next iPhone brings to the table.

Again, your choice, just my spin on the situation.

Good luck!

Like you said, at the moment! I really believe google is pouring a lot more into their development than anyone else. It will come a long way quicker, ie development for apps will soon be competing.

The reason I feel like having android as a tablet is because it is more like a computer I could do more with it. I don't know if I want to do everything on my phone, especially if a have a pad...

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011
I'm going the iPhone + N7 route, but I wish I had gone the GNex + iPad route instead.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Disabling next word prediction returns the jellybean keyboard back to how it was in ICS.

You also can find the exact ICS keyboard in the play store if you search ICS keyboard. Works on all devices including gingerbread.

I've already disabled the predictive text. It doesn't change much, unfortunately.

I'll try the ICS keyboard from the market. Thanks for that idea.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.