Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

p.jopko

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 26, 2011
Chongqing, China
Hello,

Since downloading Mountain Lion, I've had some problems moving some pictures to an external HD. For some reason, on some folders I keep getting "error -36" and it refuses to allow me to transfer the pictures. I don't understand this. I've done some research and have tried the "dot_clean " in terminal to clean the folder, but it does not work. Does anyone else have another option to transfer my pictures? Do you think Apple will address this issue in 10.8.X updates? After searching google, I've come across people having this error in OS 10.6 and eventually Apple Patched it. If anyone can assist me, I would really appreciate it. Thanks.

robgendreau

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
That error could arise because of bad media; have you run Disk Utility on it to see if there are bad sectors, etc?

p.jopko

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 26, 2011
Chongqing, China
I have not. It is a brand new HD I installed into my MBP. I am fearful of losing the pictures if I run the disk utility or try to repair it..could that happen?

iphonemaven

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2012
Mountain Lion Buggy With IP Camera Video Feeds

I use my iMac a lot to monitor 6 ip Camera feeds. Once I upgraded to Mountain Lion, neither the third party ip Camera monitoring apps nor Safari would stream the video from the cameras. The video feeds constantly time out. There's definitely some sort of bug with Mountain Lion that's causing this, as my iPad and my Windows desktops have no issue with the streaming, only my iMac post Mountain Lion upgrade.

p.jopko

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 26, 2011
Chongqing, China
Hm...do you think there are some bugs then in Mountain Lion? It really is upsetting I cannot transfer pictures from my HD to my external HD. No one else has any ideas?

monokakata

macrumors 68020
May 8, 2008
Ithaca, NY
I believe error -36 is data corruption. See if you can isolate the folder and file where the error occurs. Hopefully you have a back up of the corrupted file.

OP, you imply that you know which folders generate the error -36.

A good next step would be to open that folder, create a new folder on the external HD with a different name, and then start copying the image files either one by one, or small group by small group, or perhaps selecting them all and trying to copy . . . then when it bombs, the corrupt or misbehaving file is the next one in the list from the last one that succeeded.

No matter what the method, sooner or later you'll zero in on the problem.

Make a note, skip on to the next file in the folder, and try again.

I've had to do this. It's tedious, but it works. I'd say that odds are that only one or two files in each folder that won't copy are bad in some way.

nholtzhausen

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
Mountain Lion breaks video streaming

I use my iMac a lot to monitor 6 ip Camera feeds. Once I upgraded to Mountain Lion, neither the third party ip Camera monitoring apps nor Safari would stream the video from the cameras. The video feeds constantly time out. There's definitely some sort of bug with Mountain Lion that's causing this, as my iPad and my Windows desktops have no issue with the streaming, only my iMac post Mountain Lion upgrade.

There have been a number of complaints that Mountain Lion has somehow broken video streaming, including Netflix. The video meeting software I am using has been completely broken since upgrading the Mountain Lion. I hope Apple fixes this soon!

p.jopko

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 26, 2011
Chongqing, China
Well, I managed a way to copy the files. Strange, but it worked. I actually rebooted my MBP into bootcamp and accessed my 2nd hard-drive through that and was able to transfer the pictures to an external HD no problem. Obviously something is wrong when reading the files through Mac OSX but not in windows on the same MBP. I don't understand that... my assumption is that somehow there is an error in OS Mountain Lion that is giving me the -36 error messages, because obviously the files aren't corrupted, I transferred them from bootcamp and they open correctly. How strange.. ...:confused:

monokakata

macrumors 68020
May 8, 2008
Ithaca, NY
I think you might have had (are having) a permissions issue, then.

If you want to chase this down -- even though you got done what you needed to -- then go back to the folders on the Mac and examine them with "Get Info," and see what the permissions are.

You might find that either some folders or some files have been set so that you don't have permission to do anything with them. It seems to me that this also can generate an error -36, on copying.

If I were you I'd try to get an answer. Workarounds are great but for the future it would be good to know why this happened, so you can prevent it from happening again.

p.jopko

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 26, 2011
Chongqing, China
Thanks for the advice. Actually, I did double check the permissions on the "get info" tab. I was making sure they were set to read/write permissions on the files giving me the error, and indeed they were, but I still received the error. I just don't get it... I am glad I found a workaround though. However, you're right, it would be best to figure out the actual reason for the -36 error. But I honestly don't have any idea..

TooFastForLove

macrumors member
Sep 28, 2007
Canada
Faaaaaaaaack

I've been having issues transferring photos from my CF cards to my Lightroom Catalog (on my external HDD) for awhile now, NOT impressed with how this turned out. I'm getting the exact same error, and the whole dot_clean approach isn't working at all due to some permissions issue. I'm now being told by Disk Utility 'sorry, tough luck, backup stuff and reformat'.

EDIT (Update?): Mounting the drive on a Linux machine, the SMART status indicates an Imminent Failure *sigh* Picked up a new drive and transferred everything over - fortunately I maintained read permissions on the faulty drive, so nothing was lost.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-09-14 at 9.11.19 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-09-14 at 9.11.19 PM.png
    41.8 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:

TS99

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2012
Hello,

Since downloading Mountain Lion, I've had some problems moving some pictures to an external HD. For some reason, on some folders I keep getting "error -36" and it refuses to allow me to transfer the pictures. I don't understand this. I've done some research and have tried the "dot_clean " in terminal to clean the folder, but it does not work. Does anyone else have another option to transfer my pictures? Do you think Apple will address this issue in 10.8.X updates? After searching google, I've come across people having this error in OS 10.6 and eventually Apple Patched it. If anyone can assist me, I would really appreciate it. Thanks.
..........................................................................................................

Hi hope this helps, if of course my reply is not too late...

Select all your files and rename them, then try copying again. I had a similar problem too but managed to get over it - that way.

Good luck.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.