Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kiranmk2

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 4, 2008
I seem to remember at the recent keynote we were shown that we would be able to link out apple ID email address with our iphone numbers so imessages would properly sync across devices. Is this option actually available in 10.8 or do we have to wait for iOS6 too?

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I seem to remember at the recent keynote we were shown that we would be able to link out apple ID email address with our iphone numbers so imessages would properly sync across devices. Is this option actually available in 10.8 or do we have to wait for iOS6 too?

I thought that too, and was informed that we must wait for iOS6 first.

kmj2318

macrumors 68000
Aug 22, 2007
Naples, FL
Not until iOS6 is what I keep hearing. Although when Messages was in beta, it integrated my Apple ID with my phone number perfectly, but just after upgrading to Mountain Lion, it no longer works the way it did.

jk73

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2012
That's really strange. This functionality clearly exists already in iOS 5.1.1. If anything, it seems like an update to OS 10.8 might be required rather than iOS 6.

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
It's probably not only iOS/OS X dependant, but they will also need to change something behind the scenes.

As of now, it does in fact seem like messages are being divided (for the recipient) into different discussions/chats/messages/what have you according to a device specific ID (one for the computer, one for the iPhone and so on), and not according to Apple ID or even by contact.

My guess is that with the release of iOS 6 (and 10.8.1), messages sent from no matter which device will be identified by from which Apple ID it's being sent, i.e. being able to merge phone number and e-mail address(es).

But I wonder if it will be possible to exclude for instance messages being sent to one's phone number to arrive at the computer...

Not until iOS6 is what I keep hearing. Although when Messages was in beta, it integrated my Apple ID with my phone number perfectly, but just after upgrading to Mountain Lion, it no longer works the way it did.
I have the exact same thing. With Messages beta, I got messages sent to my phone number after having entered it in my Apple ID info. Now, nothing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.