Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yyy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 10, 2007
I'm using Mountain Lion on MBP 13 and I tried every solution I could find, such as: StartupSound.prefPane, Psst, StartNinja and nothing works. I restart my Mac a lot (I don't like leaving it on for too long) so I need a solution that works permanently (I don't want to mute the sound before every shutdown).

Any ideas?

Nov 28, 2010
located
Why do you not use the SLEEP feature instead of shutting your Mac down?
I and many others use that feature quite successfully, no need to relaunch the Mac and all the applications every time you want to use it.

tekno

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2011
Why do you not use the SLEEP feature instead of shutting your Mac down?
I and many others use that feature quite successfully, no need to relaunch the Mac and all the applications every time you want to use it.

Great reply. Instead of helping the OP tell them to use the computer differently (even though they've clearly expressed why they prefer to shutdown).

Nov 28, 2010
located
Great reply. Instead of helping the OP tell them to use the computer differently (even though they've clearly expressed why they prefer to shutdown).

And? It is still a valid reply. Many people I know, who switched to Mac OS X, shut their Macs down all the time, not knowing of the SLEEP feature, because Windows' sleep feature was a bit crap. When I showed them Mac OS X' sleep function, they changed their behaviour.
Of course I could link to another tidbit of software, but sometimes a change of behaviour brings new light.

But then again, you replied, again not really helping, only voicing your disdain. I should be used to that by now. And I am. So what the ****...

NMF

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2011

What the OP does is stupid though. It's your civic duty to stop people from using their computers stupidly.

OP, use the Sleep function and join us in 2012! :cool:

Feed Me

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2012
Location Location
if you mute your system volume before shutting down it will not make the chime when it starts up.

This.
Maybe get something set up that mutes your volume when you press the shutdown button?

The startup chime always scares the crap out of me if I've been listening to loud music the night before.

wethackrey

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2007
Redondo Beach, California
I'm using Mountain Lion on MBP 13 and I tried every solution I could find, such as: StartupSound.prefPane, Psst, StartNinja and nothing works. I restart my Mac a lot (I don't like leaving it on for too long) so I need a solution that works permanently (I don't want to mute the sound before every shutdown).

Any ideas?
The sound is actually a diagnostic. If a bank of memory fails during the power on self test, the tone changes. Even plugging external speakers into the headphone jack doesn't completely disable the start-up sound from the built-in speaker.

Arcana's Startup Sound Preference Pane hasn't worked since Snow Leopard.

I did find this solution, though I've not tried it myself. I'd be interested to know if it works for you.

----------

And? It is still a valid reply. Many people I know, who switched to Mac OS X, shut their Macs down all the time, not knowing of the SLEEP feature, because Windows' sleep feature was a bit crap. When I showed them Mac OS X' sleep function, they changed their behaviour.
Of course I could link to another tidbit of software, but sometimes a change of behaviour brings new light.

But then again, you replied, again not really helping, only voicing your disdain. I should be used to that by now. And I am. So what the ****...
Hey, I too use sleep far more often than shutdown. But, since the OP joined MacRumours in 2007 and has tried various software solutions, I have to assume he's not new to the party and knows about sleep.

sweetbrat

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2009
Redford, MI

Restarting the computer all the time isn't practical or necessary. It's pretty obvious that simsaladimbamba was trying to point that out to the OP. Perhaps he/she thinks that it needs to be shut down regularly in order to run properly. A lot of people coming from Windows seem to think that and are reluctant to just put their computer to sleep. Sometimes the most helpful answers are the ones that don't just answer the question but actually try to point out a better way of doing something. Your post, on the other hand, provided no useful information at all, so why judge others?

gentlefury

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
This.
Maybe get something set up that mutes your volume when you press the shutdown button?

The startup chime always scares the crap out of me if I've been listening to loud music the night before.

I used to get in trouble during screenings if I had to restart for some reason...LOL. I learned that trick early on.

yyy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 10, 2007
I know many people advise not to restart the computer too often but sometimes I have to. If I'm going outside for a long trip and I occasionally need to use my computer, I want to keep as much battery power as possible so I shut down the Mac when it's not in use. Or if I need to reboot to Windows (I don't like virtualization apps).

Anyway, it's frustrating that a high-end "pro" product must chime whenever it's turned on. You'd think after so many years of development Apple would allow us to change that. After all, they didn't make the iPhone or the iPad chime on startup.

And BTW, I tried this solution too and it didn't work. Thanks anyway!

Last edited:

Pared3s

macrumors regular
May 14, 2010
If the OP doesn't know about the Sleep function he should use it but I still think a solution to this would be helpful. If you have a Mac that has an SSD in it the start up/shut down times are ridiculously fast. Because of that I find myself shutting down the Mac more because it saves the battery a bit more. This is helpful when traveling and wanting to conserve juice.

It used to be that you could hold down the mute button when powering up but that doesn't work anymore.

The "Dude"

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2011
Wethackrey is correct, the startup tone is a diagnostic feature to let you know the computer is booting properly. It's also the cue to let the user know when to press any keys during boot up like specifying a boot drive or external cd.

12dylan34

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2009
What the OP does is stupid though. It's your civic duty to stop people from using their computers stupidly.

OP, use the Sleep function and join us in 2012! :cool:

I would agree. My dad shuts off his iPad every time he's done using it and it drives me crazy. Possibly even worse than the computer thing, haha.

Pared3s

macrumors regular
May 14, 2010
Last edited:

Pared3s

macrumors regular
May 14, 2010
Doesn't work for me on a 2010 MBP. Even manually muting the sound before shutdown doesn't work.

If you tried the terminal method above, you need to remove the "hooks" that you implemented. Otherwise, if you set it up incorrectly, this could cause it to always "unmute" before logging in thereby always keeping the startup chime on.

GoreVidal

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2011
How about just plugging a 1/8" headphone jack of some sort on start up if you're trying to be stealthy. Like this?

31J-oBHX-CL.jpg

Pared3s

macrumors regular
May 14, 2010
Ok it is working here as I have restarted my MBP a few times to test it out. Did you check off the preferences pane?

Does Auto Mute "un-mute" the sound after a restart? In other words, does the sound level get restored to whatever level it was at when shutting down?

Pared3s

macrumors regular
May 14, 2010
No. Upon restarts the chime stays off until you change it in the prefs or you use the keyboard shortcut to do the same(Command F 10).

Thanks for letting me know. I didn't want to install it just to check that.

yyy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 10, 2007
OK, I've figured out what the problem was: it turns out that when external speakers are plugged in to the MacBook, it's only possible to change the volume level of the external speakers while the chime sound always comes from the internal speakers.

What I did was to unplug the speakers, mute the the volume, then plug in the speakers again. Now there's no chime sound on startup and I didn't need to use any 3rd party app to do that.

Thanks again for the replies!

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.