Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jul 29, 2012, 01:15 PM   #26
sth
macrumors 6502a

On first impression, that phone looks like a big compromise to me.

But let's see if this is the actual prototype or just "some" prototype (or a really good fake).

Last edited by sth; Jul 29, 2012 at 03:18 PM.
sth is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2012, 01:17 PM   #27
rockarollr
macrumors member

Wow, that is ugly.

Hey Apple, why not just stretch the current iPhone design out vertically, move the headphone jack to the bottom and make the back cheaper to produce and harder to break? It'll make the iPhone fugly as hell, but hey, it'll reduce your warranty repair costs AND allow you to recycle a three year old design, reducing your R&D costs, too.

Pfffft. So much for innovation at Apple. RIP Steve Jobs.
rockarollr is offline   41 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2012, 01:17 PM   #28
Zaft
macrumors 6502a

I really like the current design, so this just builds on it. If its true i do like the move to metal on the back instead of glass. Less prone to shattering. i hope its thinner too.
Zaft is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2012, 01:18 PM   #29
Gjwilly
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
well iphone case manufacturers have been coming up with all sorts of mock ups for awhile now. whos to say this isnt just another really nice mockup of what they think is coming.
Did you click through to all of the interior pics?
WAY too much detail for a mockup.
Gjwilly is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2012, 01:18 PM   #30
moosecat
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilamite View Post
Why isn't the front panel sitting flush? It sticks up, making it thicker. Looks weird because it isn't flush too.
That was my first thought as well. I hope that's a rough edge that will be smoothed out in production -- the non-flush profile is not very Apple and contributes to an overall busy presentation.

All in all, though, it's attractive.

I wonder about the fidelity of the coloration in this photo. It makes the phone look almost blue-gray.
moosecat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2012, 01:19 PM   #31
brinycbri
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Why isn't the front panel sitting flush? It sticks up, making it thicker. Looks weird because it isn't flush too.

Such a variety of colours, I'd rather the band was solid black.
i think it's because it's not fully assembled...on the site it's a bunch of parts separately, so this front panel might just be placed on top of the body instead of actually assembled tightly
Old Jul 29, 2012, 01:19 PM   #32
mw360
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Variant View Post
Does anyone remember when the iPhone 4 was leaked and many many many people on here said how hideous it was, only to call it one of the best industrial designs of the 21st century months later when it was released?
Name one person who made both of those claims.
mw360 is online now   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2012, 01:19 PM   #33
AlanFord
macrumors regular

Must admit, after 4, and 4S, this look pretty ordinary now. I expected some new and more radical design. Just bigger 4S with some minor changes.
AlanFord is offline   18 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2012, 01:20 PM   #34
cwwilson
macrumors 65816

Not doing a whole lot for me. But nothing is official yet so there's still hope.
cwwilson is offline   17 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2012, 01:20 PM   #35
pmau
macrumors 6502a

Whatever the phone looks like ...

They should have redesigned springboard completly.
Split the screen, interactive stuff at the top, scrollable icons below...

The homescreen is so old now. I can see that the first ipod touch could not animate anything there without batteries draining.

But today? Please ...
Make some room for improved user experience.
pmau is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2012, 01:21 PM   #36
MkNuII
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fs454 View Post
This? Who the heck wants a taller phone? I want a bigger screen, but I don't want JUST a taller screen.
This design is in the same basis as the iPhone4 and iPhone4S. But I agree with you. I think they should just stretch equally maintaining an aspect ratio equal to the previous versions. It seems too tall. But sometimes imaging can be deceiving so you'll probably get a better idea and feel when you actually grab it. Note that this is basing in this rumors, who knows what it actually will look like.

I like the size of the iPhone4S. I don't mind increasing the size of the screen proportionally just as long the size of the phone isn't affected. I just look at what market has to offer with 4,5 or 4,8 and it just seems enormous phone. Still keen to the idea stated by Steve Jobs that your hand should grab the extend of your phone so you can use it with only one, instead of needing two to control it.

But of course, it's opinions. Probably people now want bigger screen At least.. that's what the market is heading... bigger screens.
MkNuII is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2012, 01:21 PM   #37
brinycbri
macrumors 6502a

when i saw the leaked pics of the iphone 4, i thought it was fugly too until i picked it up with my hand
Old Jul 29, 2012, 01:21 PM   #38
mertyz
macrumors regular

The funny thing is, many people complain about the design of the rear side but even if it would be the best design ever made for their taste, they would be still covering it with an iPhone case immediately after the unboxing.
Old Jul 29, 2012, 01:21 PM   #39
Krazy Bill
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Variant View Post
Does anyone remember when the iPhone 4 was leaked and many many many people on here said how hideous it was,
But going from the 3 to the 4 was an overall design change.

The 5 in the pic looks pretty much unchanged except it's bigger.
Krazy Bill is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2012, 01:22 PM   #40
kmj2318
macrumors 6502a

It's really nice but too much like the iPhone 4/4s. I'm really not sure what to think of the leaks. I'm sort of hoping that they are just being used by Apple to misdirect, but what are the chance of some sort of conspiracy like that happening? Apple does seem to be taking far less radical changes for their product designs in other ways, for example, the new MacBook Pro having the same sort of look as the old/current generation, the new iPad looks identical to the iPad 2. Maybe Apple feels like it has the best designs it can have right now so they're just sticking with them. I hope they're not getting complacent though.

Kris
kmj2318 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2012, 01:24 PM   #41
ScooterLibby
macrumors member

Quote:

It doesn't really bother me, but I did think it odd that the front panel isn't sitting flush. Did any earlier rumors indicate this?
ScooterLibby is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2012, 01:24 PM   #42
Colpeas
macrumors 6502

Call me a conservative old fart, but there are 3 thinks I really don't like about it.

1) different screen ratio
2) small dock connector
3) headphone jack on the bottom

But the overall design is very nice.

Regardless, THIS was the most beautiful iPhone concept ever. I really wish it got in production...

Colpeas is offline   60 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2012, 01:24 PM   #43
neilmacd
macrumors 6502

Home button looks like a cheap Chinese knock-off, the app icon is so white and bold
neilmacd is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2012, 01:26 PM   #44
its93rc
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hexiii View Post
Looks like render to me.
Not really, you can see someone's reflection with a camera on one of the pictures.
Old Jul 29, 2012, 01:26 PM   #45
somethingelsefl
macrumors 6502

Presenting the next Apple innovation: the iPhone 4S-Long!

Harder, better, faster, longer, the same looking-er!
somethingelsefl is offline   18 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2012, 01:26 PM   #46
CubusX
macrumors 6502

If this is the new phone, not at all impressed with the "new design". I was hoping for a different form factor and not just a longer phone. An increase in the width and height of the phone would be preferred. I have to say some android phones are more attractive then this design. I love Apple products but I am going to skip this round and most likely the round after that (it will most likely have the same design).
CubusX is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2012, 01:27 PM   #47
uknowimright
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anti-Lucifer View Post
Sure they have massive screen sizes but if I wanted an ipad screen I buy an ipad.
except those screens are nowhere near the size of an iPad screen
uknowimright is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2012, 01:27 PM   #48
DeathChill
macrumors 68000

Quote:

The front panel on the iPhone 4/4S also sits up a bit from the steel band.
DeathChill is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2012, 01:27 PM   #49
SandboxGeneral

The design looks nice, but I'm not too keen on the two-tone back plate.
Old Jul 29, 2012, 01:27 PM   #50
brock2621
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. View Post
There's a gap between the aluminum and glass on the back?! Hello dust/dirt/grime entering the phone. My OCD is going to have a field day.
It looks like this was haphazardly put together by hand. There is a huge gap from the front panel and casing as well...
brock2621 is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion