Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jamesesesesess

macrumors 6502a
Nov 26, 2011
Not only is the headphone jack on the bottom, but the bottom LEFT? God, that's going to be annoying...

I'm going to keep hoping that this is a big red herring from Apple because a taller iPhone is going to be awkward, and it's just ugly.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
A big device with a big screen makes a better phone. A big device with a big screen obviously makes a WORSE phone too. There is no question that both larger and small are good things, and that a balance must be chosen. A compromise. Making the device taller (yet thinner) at the same width is a great compromise to improve an already best-in-the-market display.

It also works great for app developers, many of whom already have vertically-flexible apps due to the in-call notification banner iOS has always had. And by leaving the vertical size the same, no UI changes are needed for most toolbars.

This? Who the heck wants a taller phone? I want a bigger screen, but I don't want JUST a taller screen.

I want a taller screen :) For many reasons:

1. It lets me see more lines of text, more lines of a list, more thumbnails, more distance down a web page... and these things are more important to me than seeing more text on each line.

2. It lets me see more above the keyboard. The keyboard makes vertical space more valuable than horizontal. (I wonder if the landscape keyboard will be able to split like the iPad? Landscape mode is less common so it matters less to me—but in any case, landscape vertical view hasn’t gotten any smaller than before, it simply stays the same.)

3. Sideways, it’s now the perfect size for video: a bigger picture, with no wasted bars.

4. Older games/apps that don’t adapt will have just 2 small black bars alongside exactly the same great screen they always had—no visible or usability issues at all. That appeals to me a lot more than a) having black ALL the way around apps, or b) scaling apps up and making them blurry or c) having larger pixels. One of those would happen if the iPhone got wider.

5. Still just as easy to reach across with a thumb for one-handed typing and usage. I often use my phone one-handed, thumb-only, and that’s simply impossible on phones that went too wide.

pmau

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2010
It doesn't really bother me, but I did think it odd that the front panel isn't sitting flush. Did any earlier rumors indicate this?

I think they just lay the leaked front panel ontop of the casing,
It's not really the final assembled product.

I wouldn't even be surprised if this is not even the iPhone casing at all.
Chinese always try to swamped the markret with mockups.

But thez have to produce them because they have to be available early too ...
Maybe this is just someone guessing how the design most likely looks like.

I still don't believe it ... the rumors all show the same parts without any real objects next to them

dethmaShine

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2010
Into the lungs of Hell
A radical new hardware and software redesign. Who says it has to be cheap in order to be different? The days of "if it ain't broke don't fix it" attitude is over. If you can't offer something new and different then don't release anything. If this is the new iPhone (which I hope it's not) then Apple has begun to plateau in innovation and vision.

Days of that attitude is over? You mean jus because Google slaps a new android skin on every new version, Apple must do it? Heck even google has identified a well designed set of principles for their next gen OS versions.

It's not attitude. It's simply engineering. You want to see a radical design because you are bored. I wish to know if that is exactly the same you ask from your wife or other family members. Better your name too.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Whatever the phone looks like ...

They should have redesigned springboard completly.
Split the screen, interactive stuff at the top, scrollable icons below...

The homescreen is so old now. I can see that the first ipod touch could not animate anything there without batteries draining.

But today? Please ...
Make some room for improved user experience.

So basically you want them to just copy Android. I'll admit, I've used Android and it's not as bad as some Apple fanboys make it out to be, but I feel like it's too complicated for Apple.

Don't believe it's too complicated? Then why, when you first turn on an Android device, is the first thing that happens is a tutorial starts up explaining how to use the built in Application launcher?

What could Apple do to modify iOS 6 so it's as handy as Android...
1 - Allow icons to be animated. I think this would nicely do everything widgets in Android do.
2 - Allow icons to appear on the lock screen.

And... you're done?

turtlez

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2012
I thought the whole reason for liquid metal was so you can have a unibody with different surface texture. This mockup has separate parts for the body and lets face it. It looks like trash compared to the 4/4S looks. This cannot be Apple's product. It is either a render or an attempted mockup.

----------

boring, so whats next?

does apple expect me to buy the "same" phone for a 3rd time :eek:

well you can take the plunge and go with another company only to find out soon that this mock up is fake and Apple release a beautiful phone that everyone wants then you will be sad because you fell for it. Or you can just sit tight :p

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010
If they kept the iPhone 4S dimensions (except thickness) and used the spence above and below the screen to make a larger screen I would be pleased. I am not keen on the idea of a longer phone in my pocket.

ggabriele3

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2012
this is a very nice design. but it's not different enough from what I have.

Since Motorola came out with the StarTac, phones have been something that I get excited about. I have it in my hand constantly. Newness is important. My iPhone 4 functions...the idea of shackling myself to ATT for another 2 years and spending another $299 or $399 for a phone that looks the same except for another row of app icons...please no.
I have had the iPhone 4 for two years now. It's too narrow (too small all around, but definitely too narrow). I briefly played with a Lumia 900 and HTC One X, and got accustomed to the larger screens.

The iPad is an exception to this rule. I'll never leave it, not for any android device.

A better camera and CPU/RAM bump won't be enough for me. Any flagship phone on the market already has better specs than my iPhone 4.
Deeper iCloud integration is also not alluring.

If this is the design of the phone, i will very likely go pick up an HTC One X....that should hold me over until next year's revision.

Slayter

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2009
The Czech Republic
If this one is real, then it`s bummer. ... Some say iP4/4S it`s nice design... IT IS, but we have year 2012 already !

following your ideas guys it would be in 2020 like... new glass, same ip4 design, but well, ip4 design is great so what do you want.. right? right?

It`s called inovation, ... bring new things, like design and materials...
You dont have still FORD T on road, but hey it was a great design BACK then..

And don`t even get me started on how iP4 is ergonomically incorrect, slippery and with edges..

revs

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2008
UK
Guess everyone here hates Porsche 911s, Aston Martins etc as they havent changed in decades!

This looks really nice, very refined, love the darker antenna band.

Apple have never changed the design of their products in a significant way every year/two years. They keep their designs similar for a long time - see the MBP, and the G5/Mac Pro.

People want change for the sake of it, and they say they are bored and wont buy it - but thats a lie, they will buy it, they will love it.

Apple do small iterations and improvements, they will have spent a huge amount of time designing the iPhone 4 - they will have designed it to the best of their ability - why throw all that work away just for the sake of change?

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
Another dull design...great.

Seriously, the iPhone design is very much a boring design. It just doesn't seem as if they are even trying anymore.

yeah

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2011
All I want is the iPhone to come to T-Mobile. Then Apple takes my $200 on a new 2 year.

Mjmar

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2008
I like it, but I'd love to know what the point of the aluminum/glass back is. I'm sure there's a technical reason, as there was with the lines in the side of the iPhone 4.

yeah

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2011
there's a gap between the aluminum and glass on the back?! Hello dust/dirt/grime entering the phone. My ocd is going to have a field day. :eek:

lol-guy.png

28Gauge

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2011
DFW
It's going to be real disappointing if it's no wider than the 4S. hopefully these are plants by Apple.

I do hope it is a little wider as well, but I will get it if it is not. My 46 year eyes are starting to have a little trouble with the small screen on my iPhone 4. I liked the size of the Samsung Galaxy 3, but I'm not willing to leave the Apple eco system just yet.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
A radical new hardware and software redesign. Who says it has to be cheap in order to be different? The days of "if it ain't broke don't fix it" attitude is over. If you can't offer something new and different then don't release anything. If this is the new iPhone (which I hope it's not) then Apple has begun to plateau in innovation and vision.

It looks fine. They haven't changed the Mac much in years, and yet it is selling better than ever. Heck, even Samsung is slowing down. The SIII isn't radically different from the Galaxy Nexus or even the SII. An aluminum back has its advantages. Plus, this will have LTE, possibly NFC, a bigger screen, and an updated OS, not to mention a more powerful processor.

Until we're ready for a giant leap, such as flexible screens, I'm all in favor of a gradual evolution. There's no sense in changing just for the sake of changing.

dokujaryu

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2011
Irvine, California
...So, I'm personally not very happy about this. I wanted something somewhat new that starts down a different path. But even most of the switches look identical. Granted, its narrowly still the most popular handset sold, so why change the formula?

samsung-i9300-galaxy-s-iii-ofic.jpg

However, as an owner of a Galaxy S3... I think I can safely say that unless they pull some kind of rabbit out of their hat, the iPhone 4S at $99 will be the most unbeatable phone overall on the market. With iOS 6 it keeps up with my S3 no problems and the iPhone 4S screen is much higher quality, albeit smaller.

But Apple has to survive an entire YEAR with that as their flagship device and the upcoming challengers are going to be tough to fend off.

Huge phone lovers are going to get the quad core 2GB ram Note2 5.5 soon. This one is going to be crazy fast. If they put a non-pentile screen in it, it's going to sell like crazy.

Super high quality screen lovers are going to get the HTC One XXL soon with a quad core Snapdragon S4 and 2GB of ram (this is the one to watch for IMO). Also the Sony Xperia GX. O.O I really think HTC's screen on the One X is the only screen that surpasses the iPhone 4/4S.

Accessory lovers see the RAZR HD is coming, rumored with the same SoC as the Galaxy S3 but with a non-pentile screen and the Razr MAXX's 3300 mAh battery. Probably compatible with a Lapdock and all the other crazy motorola stuff. Not to mention the MAXX almost outsells the iPhone and costs $100 more. If Motorola can up the ante on the screen and SoC, I think this single phone could pass the iPhone (on Verizon I mean...)

Still, Apple owns small, fast, highest of high quality, and most power efficient and intuitive OS. The Sony Xperia SX and the Droid Incredible 4G LTE sorta share the same space, but neither one are "flagship" devices. On some level, I think handset manufacturers are going bigger screen than the iPhone just so they don't have to compete in that area of Smartphones.

bse3

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2011
The grills look odd. I am not sure if I like the back… probably gotta see it in person, like with the iPhone 4 design.

UKBeast

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2010
Turkey
This is too cheap to be iPhone, the colours at the back do not match each other, and the lines on de thinner side of the phone are looking ugly, the back side looks like it is built with different combination of materials, apple would not do design failure like this.

I also did not like the holes at the bottom, they remind me of stereo sets or microphones from 80s.

sbrhwkp3

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2005
Lake George, NY
Underwhelming exterior. But I'm sure the performance will be awesome. Definitely will be upgrading from this 4 when it comes out so whatever. Have my money, Apple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.