Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TSX

macrumors 68030
Oct 1, 2008
Texas
The volume buttons are more than likely loose, seeing as there are no internals to hold them in place. Use your head people.

FrogsterDude

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2011
Reasons?

I'm hoping there is some huge underlying reason for the two-toned backside.

Back when Apple introduced the iPhone 4 Steve Jobs said something along the lines of "Everyone has been questioning, what IS that?" *keynote slide circles the antenna gap in red* "Apple, you have this beautiful aluminum band all the way around the phone and then THAT? Well, actually there isn't just one of them. In fact there is 3. And that is because we've put the antenna on the outside."

So maybe these "ugly" black stripes on the back are for some sort of functionality? I can only hope... Supposedly Steve got his hands on plenty of Apple designs before he passed away. So it's likely he had a hand in this design, but most people won't recognize that. A lot of people are going to see this as Apple having lost its innovator.

slrandall

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2011

As others have mentioned look at the volume down button. Horizontal in one pic vertical in the other. :confused:

If you look at the screen in the front-facing picture, it's way too light. Even in bright light, I can barely make out the edges of the screen of my 4S (where it meets the bezel) at that angle. No way they make the screen look like that, it makes it look way less sleek.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Roll your eyes all your want since you are blind anyway. Wait for that next iPhone with a microwave cooking feature built in. Maybe then you will consider that innovative enough that's up to your low standards.

I am not blind at all. Take what I said in context. You lose all credibility when you resort to name calling. "Retards"? REALLY?!?!

You have good things to say, until you start calling people retarded and blind for not agreeing with you. Throwing out insults (as you felt you needed to do to me in this post I am quoting) is simply pointless and childish.

happyslayer

macrumors 65816
Feb 3, 2008
Glendale, AZ
I think this looks pretty nice, myself. I like the brushed aluminum back. And the outside metal strip looks darker as well. Not sure what people want for a new design. It will be longer... that's a given I'm pretty sure, based on all the leaks for the last year. It will have the new iPad (3) internals most likely. The dock connector will change but we get better speakers (hopefully) because of that. (I think the the 4/4s speakers are pretty terrible and don't get loud enough, especially when using speaker phone.)

The metal back should help with reception, I am hoping, so no repeat of "antenna-gate."

And for all those that think Apple innovates on exterior design all the time... Your wrong. You just need to look at the MacBook Pro's and Airs... they don't really ever change much besides internals and ports. Also, the iMac really hasn't changed a lot, either, over the years--other than exterior color schemes.

Also, finally, I will bet this will just be called the "New" iPhone, like they are doing with the the iPad.

Just my two cents.

derbothaus

macrumors 601
Jul 17, 2010
The volume buttons are more than likely loose, seeing as there are no internals to hold them in place. Use your head people.

Perfectly loose? What are the odds that it lines up perfectly horizontal and then perfectly vertical? Pretty slim.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
It's assembled from legit parts. Not assembled straight from the factory.

How do we know they're legit? Or at least what the next phone come October will look like. If this was the real deal wouldn't Apple be going after the sites posting it ala gizmodo? I don't see how leaks of an unfinished product are beneficial to Apple. Especially when most of the comments on fan sites and tech sites are negative.

Jimrod

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2010
I don't understand what kind of redesign you guys are asking for? I don't want a cheap looking plastic phone like the GSIII. I want something with great build quality. The 4 and 4s look SO much different from other phones that I wouldn't be surprised if this is close to the real design. We won't know until the announcement so cool all negative comments. We don't even know what's under the hood yet.

Just something more like this crappy mock up I did on Photoshop. A touch taller, bit wider but with 4.3" screen (It's measured to fit so would work) with tapered back, design like iPad. Nothing revolutionary but far better than the leaks. I didn't put all the details on or any potential aerial joins (as I'd have no idea of layout they'd choose) and didn't thicken it up enough but you get the idea. If I was doing it properly I'd do a render but this was 15 mins or so...

iPhone5-1.jpg

Overall dimensions wouldn't actually have to increase that much as indicated, ad a couple of mm to the thickness unlike my drawing, the taper would increase the ease with which the larger size could be held and probably be more comfortable in-hand the the 4/4S.

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2005
Seems like all Apple is doing and talking about anymore are numbers. Increasing these numbers, decreasing those numbers making x amount of profit, taking % of the market. This is what happens when you put a suit in charge of things instead of an engineer.

Yeah! If only Woz was in charge of Apple! Oh wait... Apple would have gone out of business long ago then.

flux73

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2009
I'm actually satisfied if this is the new design. What I am hoping for are large improvements in Siri (accuracy and not requiring an internet connection would be HUGE for me), and MAYBE...

Just MAYBE...inductive charging? Could that be the reason for the two toned back with the main plate being metallic looking? To me that would be the HUGE innovation. Imagine being able to just set your iPhone down on a flat pad and it both syncs and charges. The connector would probably be a backup method for charging/syncing if for example you're traveling and don't have room for the induction pad (or whatever it's going to be called).

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
OK but in one photo it's perfectly horizontal and the other perfectly vertical. And if this is a pic of the same phone why would they be different at all?

solarguy17

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2007
I really hope it is like the mockups shown. This is a great looking phone. No issues with the phone being to wide, no cheap plastic feel. I love the design

I'm still not sure about the 2 tone back but the more I see it the more I like it. Ilthis will be great.

dcorban

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2007
So much claim chowder in this thread. All these negative people will again be proven wrong when iPhone 4 owners flock to this like flies on poop, thanks to the 16:9 4" IGZO screen, improved cameras, and upgraded CPU/RAM.

TSX

macrumors 68030
Oct 1, 2008
Texas
Perfectly loose? What are the odds that it lines up perfectly horizontal and then perfectly vertical? Pretty slim.

After checking out the pics closely the pic might be fake, look the volume buttons are 1 piece so there is no way for it to go in the wrong way. Look at the pic.

1a355e1d.jpg

lowonthe456

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2007
I wanted to mention something almost completely overlooked in all the negativity here:

Think about the complete release history of the iPhone...the original, 3G, 3GS...all were basically the same phone (save for incremental upgrades).

Then we have the 4, 4S and...?

I think the generations run in 3's, not 2's as everyone expects.

This will be iPhone 4- whatever.

Cloudsurfer

macrumors 65816
Apr 12, 2007
Netherlands
I love the dark blue-greenish color. Will this be the new silver from now on? I would love a MacBook in this color.

But other than that it doesn't look like a world of difference compared to the 4S. We had to wait 2,5 years for this? There better be an amazing A6 quad core cpu inside.

mixel

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2006
Leeds, UK
I'm definitely in the camp that likes this design. Hopefully the increased height can increase the battery too so I wont have to use a Mophie battery pack just to get through a usual day. :/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.