Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jul 29, 2012, 03:10 PM   #126
faroZ06
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayemerica View Post
To much like 4 and 4S.
Why would that be bad?
faroZ06 is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2012, 03:11 PM   #127
TSX
macrumors 68030

The volume buttons are more than likely loose, seeing as there are no internals to hold them in place. Use your head people.
Old Jul 29, 2012, 03:11 PM   #128
jimbean9
macrumors member

Got my iPhone 4 the day it come out and I'm gonna stick with it, waited 2 years for this?
jimbean9 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2012, 03:11 PM   #129
FrogsterDude
macrumors newbie

Reasons?

I'm hoping there is some huge underlying reason for the two-toned backside.

Back when Apple introduced the iPhone 4 Steve Jobs said something along the lines of "Everyone has been questioning, what IS that?" *keynote slide circles the antenna gap in red* "Apple, you have this beautiful aluminum band all the way around the phone and then THAT? Well, actually there isn't just one of them. In fact there is 3. And that is because we've put the antenna on the outside."

So maybe these "ugly" black stripes on the back are for some sort of functionality? I can only hope... Supposedly Steve got his hands on plenty of Apple designs before he passed away. So it's likely he had a hand in this design, but most people won't recognize that. A lot of people are going to see this as Apple having lost its innovator.
FrogsterDude is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2012, 03:11 PM   #130
slrandall
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

As others have mentioned look at the volume down button. Horizontal in one pic vertical in the other.
If you look at the screen in the front-facing picture, it's way too light. Even in bright light, I can barely make out the edges of the screen of my 4S (where it meets the bezel) at that angle. No way they make the screen look like that, it makes it look way less sleek.
slrandall is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2012, 03:12 PM   #131
Chrisg2014
macrumors regular

This looks good in black but will look terrible in White...
Chrisg2014 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2012, 03:12 PM   #132
lordofthereef
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anti-Lucifer View Post
Roll your eyes all your want since you are blind anyway. Wait for that next iPhone with a microwave cooking feature built in. Maybe then you will consider that innovative enough that's up to your low standards.
I am not blind at all. Take what I said in context. You lose all credibility when you resort to name calling. "Retards"? REALLY?!?!

You have good things to say, until you start calling people retarded and blind for not agreeing with you. Throwing out insults (as you felt you needed to do to me in this post I am quoting) is simply pointless and childish.
Old Jul 29, 2012, 03:12 PM   #133
C.G.B. Spender
Banned

I think it looks great.
C.G.B. Spender is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2012, 03:13 PM   #134
happyslayer
macrumors 6502

I think this looks pretty nice, myself. I like the brushed aluminum back. And the outside metal strip looks darker as well. Not sure what people want for a new design. It will be longer... that's a given I'm pretty sure, based on all the leaks for the last year. It will have the new iPad (3) internals most likely. The dock connector will change but we get better speakers (hopefully) because of that. (I think the the 4/4s speakers are pretty terrible and don't get loud enough, especially when using speaker phone.)

The metal back should help with reception, I am hoping, so no repeat of "antenna-gate."

And for all those that think Apple innovates on exterior design all the time... Your wrong. You just need to look at the MacBook Pro's and Airs... they don't really ever change much besides internals and ports. Also, the iMac really hasn't changed a lot, either, over the years--other than exterior color schemes.

Also, finally, I will bet this will just be called the "New" iPhone, like they are doing with the the iPad.

Just my two cents.
Old Jul 29, 2012, 03:13 PM   #135
derbothaus
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSX View Post
The volume buttons are more than likely loose, seeing as there are no internals to hold them in place. Use your head people.
Perfectly loose? What are the odds that it lines up perfectly horizontal and then perfectly vertical? Pretty slim.
Old Jul 29, 2012, 03:15 PM   #136
Rogifan
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by applefanDrew View Post
It's assembled from legit parts. Not assembled straight from the factory.
How do we know they're legit? Or at least what the next phone come October will look like. If this was the real deal wouldn't Apple be going after the sites posting it ala gizmodo? I don't see how leaks of an unfinished product are beneficial to Apple. Especially when most of the comments on fan sites and tech sites are negative.
Old Jul 29, 2012, 03:16 PM   #137
Jimrod
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigert07 View Post
I don't understand what kind of redesign you guys are asking for? I don't want a cheap looking plastic phone like the GSIII. I want something with great build quality. The 4 and 4s look SO much different from other phones that I wouldn't be surprised if this is close to the real design. We won't know until the announcement so cool all negative comments. We don't even know what's under the hood yet.

Just something more like this crappy mock up I did on Photoshop. A touch taller, bit wider but with 4.3" screen (It's measured to fit so would work) with tapered back, design like iPad. Nothing revolutionary but far better than the leaks. I didn't put all the details on or any potential aerial joins (as I'd have no idea of layout they'd choose) and didn't thicken it up enough but you get the idea. If I was doing it properly I'd do a render but this was 15 mins or so...

Overall dimensions wouldn't actually have to increase that much as indicated, ad a couple of mm to the thickness unlike my drawing, the taper would increase the ease with which the larger size could be held and probably be more comfortable in-hand the the 4/4S.
Jimrod is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2012, 03:16 PM   #138
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaga8ond View Post
Seems like all Apple is doing and talking about anymore are numbers. Increasing these numbers, decreasing those numbers making x amount of profit, taking % of the market. This is what happens when you put a suit in charge of things instead of an engineer.
Yeah! If only Woz was in charge of Apple! Oh wait... Apple would have gone out of business long ago then.

MacBook Pro Retina 13" iPhone 5s iPad mini Retina Chromebook Pixel Nexus 7
1984 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2012, 03:17 PM   #139
flux73
macrumors 6502a

I'm actually satisfied if this is the new design. What I am hoping for are large improvements in Siri (accuracy and not requiring an internet connection would be HUGE for me), and MAYBE...

Just MAYBE...inductive charging? Could that be the reason for the two toned back with the main plate being metallic looking? To me that would be the HUGE innovation. Imagine being able to just set your iPhone down on a flat pad and it both syncs and charges. The connector would probably be a backup method for charging/syncing if for example you're traveling and don't have room for the induction pad (or whatever it's going to be called).
flux73 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2012, 03:18 PM   #140
nas2344
macrumors member

Looks good to me, now I just need specs!!
nas2344 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2012, 03:18 PM   #141
G51989
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sth View Post
On first impression, that phone looks like a big compromise to me.
Why? What are you expecting? a direct brain interface?
G51989 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2012, 03:18 PM   #142
Rogifan
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSX View Post
OK but in one photo it's perfectly horizontal and the other perfectly vertical. And if this is a pic of the same phone why would they be different at all?
Old Jul 29, 2012, 03:18 PM   #143
solarguy17
macrumors 6502

I really hope it is like the mockups shown. This is a great looking phone. No issues with the phone being to wide, no cheap plastic feel. I love the design

I'm still not sure about the 2 tone back but the more I see it the more I like it. Ilthis will be great.
solarguy17 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2012, 03:19 PM   #144
dcorban
macrumors 6502a

So much claim chowder in this thread. All these negative people will again be proven wrong when iPhone 4 owners flock to this like flies on poop, thanks to the 16:9 4" IGZO screen, improved cameras, and upgraded CPU/RAM.
Old Jul 29, 2012, 03:20 PM   #145
MacFather
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbean9 View Post
Got my iPhone 4 the day it come out and I'm gonna stick with it, waited 2 years for this?
It's Time for Change, Nokia Lumia WP8 coming soon
MacFather is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2012, 03:21 PM   #146
TSX
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by derbothaus View Post
Perfectly loose? What are the odds that it lines up perfectly horizontal and then perfectly vertical? Pretty slim.
After checking out the pics closely the pic might be fake, look the volume buttons are 1 piece so there is no way for it to go in the wrong way. Look at the pic.

Old Jul 29, 2012, 03:21 PM   #147
rockarollr
macrumors member

Wishy-washy much, Navdakilla?
rockarollr is offline   33 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2012, 03:22 PM   #148
lowonthe456
macrumors 6502

I wanted to mention something almost completely overlooked in all the negativity here:

Think about the complete release history of the iPhone...the original, 3G, 3GS...all were basically the same phone (save for incremental upgrades).

Then we have the 4, 4S and...?

I think the generations run in 3's, not 2's as everyone expects.

This will be iPhone 4- whatever.

lowonthe456 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2012, 03:24 PM   #149
Cloudsurfer
macrumors 6502a

I love the dark blue-greenish color. Will this be the new silver from now on? I would love a MacBook in this color.

But other than that it doesn't look like a world of difference compared to the 4S. We had to wait 2,5 years for this? There better be an amazing A6 quad core cpu inside.
Old Jul 29, 2012, 03:25 PM   #150
mixel
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to mixel Send a message via MSN to mixel Send a message via Yahoo to mixel
I'm definitely in the camp that likes this design. Hopefully the increased height can increase the battery too so I wont have to use a Mophie battery pack just to get through a usual day. :/
mixel is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion