Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thanksebetotap

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 29, 2012
I bought a retina MacBook Pro, took every update from the Mac App Store available, and then did a clean install of ML.

I foolishly assumed that since iLife "comes with every Mac" that it must be a part of OS X, and didn't realize there are default apps that are installed separately from the OS.

I sent an email yesterday to iTunes customer support and am still awaiting reply.

Super bummed, particularly because GarageBand was one of the reasons I bought the computer. Any advice on recovering iLife?

Thank you!

Stooby Mcdoobie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2012
You should be able to re-download the iLife apps. Do they not show up in your 'purchased' tab in the App store?

If not, I'm sure Apple will provide you with a redeem code or something for the suite.

thanksebetotap

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 29, 2012
You should be able to re-download the iLife apps. Do they not show up in your 'purchased' tab in the App store?

If not, I'm sure Apple will provide you with a redeem code or something for the suite.

No, they don't :(

I don't believe they showed up in the mac app store even while I was on Lion either. Hopefully Apple can send redemption codes, but I was wondering if it was a known issue.

Stooby Mcdoobie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2012
The first time you open the Mac app store, it's supposed to display a message telling you to redeem your copies of the iLife software. After "accepting" these apps, you are able to re-download them via the purchases tab. I've seen others post about this message not showing up, too, so I don't think you're alone.

Unfortunately, when you did a clean install, you lost the chance to claim these free copies. Just explain the situation to Apple's customer service, though; I'm sure they will do something to help you out. I don't think they'd want to risk losing a customer over something like this.

Nioxic

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2011
Denmark
i made a fresh reinstall of lion a couple of days ago (in preparation for ML) and i had to download iLife through the mac app store, after i logged in everywhere with my apple ID..

i cnat understand why you cant do that...

thanksebetotap

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 29, 2012
i made a fresh reinstall of lion a couple of days ago (in preparation for ML) and i had to download iLife through the mac app store, after i logged in everywhere with my apple ID..

i cnat understand why you cant do that...

Because on Lion, those apps never showed up under "purchased" in the mac app store, even after i logged in with my apple id. ie, a glitch.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.