Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

J.C

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 12, 2008
Since upgrading from Lion to Mountain Lion GM I've found my mouse pointer disappearing about once a day. I'll be browsing in Safari when the pointer disappears. It's still active in some way as roll-over effects are active as I attempt to find the pointer by moving my finger around the trackpad. After 10-20 seconds or so it appears again. Safari is basically all I use on this machine (nothing else running) so the system isn't under much load. But because I only use Safari I couldn't say if the issue specific to that app or not.

Any ideas?

P.S Additionally I've had a flickering affect on the text for a download listed in the current downloads pop-up bubble. Not sure if that's related.

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
Since upgrading from Lion to Mountain Lion GM I've found my mouse pointer disappearing about once a day. I'll be browsing in Safari when the pointer disappears. It's still active in some way as roll-over effects are active as I attempt to find the pointer by moving my finger around the trackpad. After 10-20 seconds or so it appears again. Safari is basically all I use on this machine (nothing else running) so the system isn't under much load. But because I only use Safari I couldn't say if the issue specific to that app or not.

Any ideas?

P.S Additionally I've had a flickering affect on the text for a download listed in the current downloads pop-up bubble. Not sure if that's related.

Which mac and what type of mouse? Bluetooth, usb ?

iwan073

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2011
The Netherlands
My mouse pointer doesn't disappear, but it doesn't always change into the right... um...shape?

I mean, if i hover over a link, it doesn't always change into a hand.
If I want to resize a window, it doesn't always change into one of those 2 sided pointers.

But this was happening in Lion too.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
this sometimes happens to me when im watching a flash video. like i dont see the actual cursor when i move over the play button but i can see that its over the play button because it highlights the area where my cursor is supposed to be. hard to explain really ...

TheGdog

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2010
North Carolina, USA
this sometimes happens to me when im watching a flash video. like i dont see the actual cursor when i move over the play button but i can see that its over the play button because it highlights the area where my cursor is supposed to be. hard to explain really ...

I have this same exact problem on youtube, but the interesting thing is that I am running Lion and safari 5.

D1STORT1ON

macrumors member
Mar 24, 2011
VA
My mouse pointer doesn't disappear, but it doesn't always change into the right... um...shape?

I mean, if i hover over a link, it doesn't always change into a hand.
If I want to resize a window, it doesn't always change into one of those 2 sided pointers.

But this was happening in Lion too.

This is happening to me as well - 2 sided pointers missing for window resizing and I-beam cursor disappearing. Seems like it just likes to do everything with the Arrow. Actually at first I thought it was an "iOS" thing Apple went with, but on my other computer the cursors are working correctly.

Ohkamp

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2011
In happens like crazy in Photoshop for me since upgrading to Mountain Lion. I can't really work if I can't use the cursor! It only seems to happen over the menus and windows but not the actual canvas.

Lvivske

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2011
🇺🇦
This happened to me twice tonight with the trackpad. I hope this doesn't get more and more frequent...ugh....

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
Mine goes away as well. A quick swipe into MC and out again brings it back.

These kinds of things happened when Lion was introduced as well. They'll get tidied up by 8.2

Vyper007

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2012
Mouse Woes

I'm getting invisible mouse cursors too and for me it's only started happening since I upgraded to Mountain Lion, I even did a completely fresh install making sure to format my HD first and then install Mountain Lion, I've been running the new OS about 3 days and I've had the mouse pointer disappear on me about 5 times now, the mouse pointer is clearly still there because if I guess lucky I can still click things on screen, its literally just an invisible cursor and to be honest its driving me crazy. I even tried going in and out of Mission Control as suggested above and that only worked for me once, the other times I've had to do full reboots.

How on earth did this bug get through beta testing unnoticed ???. I'm running a 2009 iMac.

BlueOcean

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2012
I've just noticed this too. It seems to be happening often when Flash is loaded up in the browser, though not sure if this is the cause or not.

martosprint

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2010
Florida
It just started doing it for me since I downloaded ML a couple of days ago. At first I thought it was my wireless magic mouse that was the problem, but after awhile it started working again. It did it today so I replaced the magic mouse with the original mouse that came with my iMac, and had the same disappearing pointer, so it couldn't be just the magic mouse. I then plugged in my wired Logitech mouse and it worked. The magic mouse works 85% of the time before it goes ape! 

DiamonDecoden

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2011
Texas
I've just noticed this too. It seems to be happening often when Flash is loaded up in the browser, though not sure if this is the cause or not.

Yea.. I believe so. it happened to me in lion.. whenever I enter a fullscreen for a youtube video on one monitor I lose the mouse cursor on the other monitor.

HelveticaNeue

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2010
I have had this issue as well on both my iMac and rMBP. It has happened in Safari, Coda 2, and while in Launchpad. The cursor disappears but as you move it around things react as if the cursor was hovering over them. I've found that just wiggling the cursor all around the screen makes it reappear.

ahmadq

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2012
This happens to me a lot. I just move the mouse (or trackpad) to the top left corner where the apple is, or aim for any menu item in the menu bar and then click and it usually comes back for me

J.C

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 12, 2008
It's not been happening nearly as much lately. No change to my system or usage however. Weird. Anyway, as others have said, it's likely to be fixed fairly soon in a point release. Glad to know it's not just me.

WizardHunt

macrumors 68000
May 11, 2007
Las Vegas, Nevada USA
With the update of ML 10.8.1 out now and installed, I was hoping they fixed that missing cursor for the mouse issue. But sadly, no it is still messing up. I guess we have to wait for 10.8.2 and hope they address this issue.

Wonder if Apple is even aware of this problem? Has anyone complained to Apple Support? If so what was the feedback you got from Apple?

WhatAmI

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2009
Same for me guys, Mid-2011 Mini w/ Magic Mouse and a fresh new copy of ML on the recently installed SSD. Cursor vanishes and always when the screen has been hibernating and I wake it up again and log on.

Nothing but a reboot fixes it and I am really fed up with this now :mad:

WizardHunt

macrumors 68000
May 11, 2007
Las Vegas, Nevada USA
Can the users who are experiencing this problem tell me exactly what you are doing when your mouse cursor disappears? Like if you are surfing Youtube videos and whether you are viewing original size or full screen or whatever you are doing. I contacted Apple about this problem and they are not aware of it, therefore there will be no fix for this until Apple has more information on what could be the cause.

If you have Apple Care that is still valid, please contact them and go through the troubleshooting techniques and give us on MacRumors some good feedback on what could be causing this. I would do it but my Apple Care has ran out and I will be getting a new iMac probably when they ever release them. Also tell me if you are using any kind of 3rd party mouse app or program on your iMac or MBP or whatever you are using.

Any and all feedback would be helpful to get this resolved or we may be stuck with this problem until it becomes a much bigger problem.

What it does on my setup, I have 2 monitors and for example if I am surfing a youtube video and move my cursor over to the other monitor it does not show up until I click on that 2nd monitor's desktop. Other times I am surfing any site, and it just disappears. But I will now be more detailed in my response on here in order to help figure out this bug with ML, if it is in fact a bug.

Thanks everyone who leaves feedback on here.

----------

Mine has done that as well. Very frustrating to say the least.

----------

Yea.. I believe so. it happened to me in lion.. whenever I enter a fullscreen for a youtube video on one monitor I lose the mouse cursor on the other monitor.

Mine does that as well.

----------

wondering if the cause is in flash and not in ML. Just a thought.

Last edited:

Pacwell

macrumors member
May 14, 2012
This has happened to me since Lion. It usually occurs when im working in After Effects if i wait it eventually comes back or if I show desktop and click it comes back.

aop

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2011
UK
This has been happening to me since upgrading from lion to mountain lion.
It happens when I wake the computer from sleep - mouse point has vanished but I can still see mouse over activity where the mouse is supposed to be.

It happens on average 1 in every 5 wakes.

I also loose mission control access.

I decided to do a complete format and reinstall of ML and the problem is still present. All I currently have installed on the mac apart from stock apps is VLC.

Sleep set for one hour, screen saver 20 mins and no auto logout.

I'm running a mac mini 2011, magic mouse and aluminium BT keyboard.

Happy to supply any more info if it helps clear this issue up and open to suggestions.

Last edited:

ron1004

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2010
Louisville, KY

Any ideas?

Exactly the same thing happening with my late 2011 MBP 17" after going from Lion to Mountain Lion.

At least I learn't here not to bother trying to re-install.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.