Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iphone_5_2012_ilab.jpg
Following the publication of high-resolution photos of what has been claimed to be the enclosure and a number of internal components for the next-generation iPhone, Mac Otakara posts a hands-on video of the same parts. The video gives a good idea of how the device would look in the user's hand.

The report also mentions an observation of an unknown connection on a cable carrying the device's volume buttons, mute/vibrate switch, and power button, speculating that it could be related to NFC capabilities. On the iPhone 4S, the volume buttons and mute/vibrate switch are located on the same component as the headphone jack and noise canceling microphone, but with the headphone jack moving to the bottom of the device in the next-generation iPhone, Apple has tweaked the component grouping on its flex cable parts.

Article Link: Hands-On Video of Next-Generation 'iPhone 5' Enclosure

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Could have sworn this was photoshopped by all our Phothshop experts :D.

topgunn

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2004
Houston
Still betting this is all a red herring. Apple is using old prototype parts, molds, enclosures, etc and is "leaking" them out. Tim Cook's stepped up security is misinformation.

quickmac

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2011
This has to be a deliberate leak by Apple. No way this video gets out otherwise. Even though I like the design they're showing here, this has to be a fake or different version leaked by Apple to throw competitors off.

samac92

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2008
I think the following posts from the first page of the first iPhone 4 leaked photos on macrumors are interesting:

I hope not. That looks hideous!

Simple answer: no.

Buttons are entirely un-Apple, there are seams...

If this is it then I'm getting a 3GS instead. This thing is hideous.

looks like an ugly sony ericsson phone. The design is VERY un apple like, down to the seams and the buttons

going to go on a limb and say. no.

This looks horrendous.

What wouldn't surprise me is if this is a prototype build with the new internals and a really hideous body.

Seams are pretty hideous. Apple made a big point of removing any seams that it could between the 2G and the 3G. This is a major step backwards if it has seams.

That phone looks gross and like something Nokia would make

PrayForDeath

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2012
The pictures show a silver-colored band on the circumference of the phone. In the video it is dark black, why is that?

HarryKeogh

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2008
I would have like a wider screen but other than that it's a pretty nice design.

Only so much you can do with a black rectangle and I definitely prefer this to the ones with plastic casings.

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
Still betting this is all a red herring. Apple is using old prototype parts, molds, enclosures, etc and is "leaking" them out. Tim Cook's stepped up security is misinformation.

This has to be a deliberate leak by Apple. No way this video gets out otherwise. Even though I like the design they're showing here, this has to be a fake or different version leaked by Apple to throw competitors off.

That seems like some childish logic. This is the next iPhone, regardless if you like the design or not.

LondonCentral

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2010

I've been thinking along the same lines. Really hope Tim Cook walks on stage with this prototype, laughs and then throws it in a trash can before revealing the real deal! :)

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Well, we all expected it to leak. In one month, we'll know the truth. Now, I'm not sure if I want white or black. I guess it time for people to start selling their iPhones.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
That seems like some childish logic. This is the next iPhone, regardless if you like the design or not.

I don't disagree, but remember the tapered iPhone hardware mockup last year?

Not saying it's likely, but it is possible this is not the design.

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
Another leaked preview with no reference to size. Is it too much to ask these part be put next to a 4/4s?

Can't wait until one of these is conveniently found on a bar stool.

thetaylor13

macrumors regular
May 14, 2010
Work
Still not super happy with the design, the part that drives me the most insane is the tangent between the camera lens and the new dual toned back... One of the first things I was taught in color and design was tangents were the spawn of Satan.

mnsportsgeek

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
It looks like the camera lens is significantly bigger. I think we can expect a 10mp camera with improved optics.

pjarvi

macrumors 65816
Jan 11, 2006
Clovis, CA
From the photo it looks like part of the back is black plastic which wouldn't make any sense because the whole point of the metal band is that it acts as the antenna, and it shows the separation between sections of the banding still. Obvious fake is obvious.

th1nk

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2008
lets hope the screen sits flush in the metal casing like seen in this video, it would make a nice thin device. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.