Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iphone_5_ilab_rear_oblique-150x210.jpg

Following a report from iMore earlier today claiming that Apple will hold a media event to introduce the next-generation iPhone and the "iPad mini" on September 12 ahead of September 21 availability for the new iPhone, AllThingsD reports that it has confirmed an Apple media event will be taking place that week. While the report's sources have apparently not confirmed the topic of the event or the exact date, it certainly appears to corroborate iMore's claims.
Apple hasn't yet officially announced the fall event at which it is expected to debut the next iteration of the iPhone, but it's definitely planning one.

iMore was first to report that the company has scheduled a special event for Wednesday, September 12, and now we've confirmed it as well. Sources tell AllThingsD that Apple is currently planning an event for that week. And while we haven't yet confirmed its focus, history suggests it will indeed be the new iPhone.
AllThingsD has been very accurate in the past regarding Apple rumors, and has on several occasions been the first to reveal dates for Apple media events, lending significant weight to this report's support of the September 12 date from iMore.

The report goes on to note that Apple's latest quarterly report has revealed a massive increase in component prepayments, signaling that the company is moving full speed ahead on preparing its supply chain for production on the next iPhone and perhaps other devices such as the iPad mini.

Update: The Verge has also "confirmed" the September 12 date with its own sources.
The rumor cycle this time around for the next iPhone has been a bit unusual -- multiple leaks have all depicted the exact same components -- but it looks like we'll be seeing what Apple has up its sleeves come Wednesday, September 12th. Our own sources have confirmed that date, and multiple websites have similar reports as well.
Update: The Loop's Jim Dalrymple also weighs in on the September 12 date:
Update: Reuters, Bloomberg and NYTimes also confirm the date.

Article Link: Apple Media Event All But Confirmed for September 12th, iPhone Launch Likely [Updated]

WatchTheThrone

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2011
So apple is gonna announce in September and rerelease in October?? Maybe it's because of the new screen to give time for developers to get their apps ready for the longer screen?? Huh who knows??

AR999

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2012
Ill laugh when it comes out with the weird stretched screen and all the moaners buy it anyway and say how amazing and innovative apple is.

Branskins

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2008
Ill laugh when it comes out with the weird stretched screen and all the moaners buy it anyway and say how amazing and innovative apple is.

Same thing happened with the 4 (minus a stretched screen of course). In fact, every product they have released over the last few years has had the same reaction. We all know people don't like change, but once they get settled with it they will generally like it (i.e. everyone that complains when Facebook introduces changes)

Whatever!

grmatt

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2010
Happy Birthday to Me!

My Bday is 9/19. Looks like I'll be buying myself a gift this year.

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Dec 29, 2010
California

If the design we've seen is the final design, then I think any innovation or fireworks will have to come from within. I don't really see upgrading from a 4s solely for a slightly larger screen.

My guess is that the main hardware features will be LTE, NFC (Passbook), and the usual slew of speed enhancements. The question is, are those hardware features in combination with iOS 6 enough?

We'll see...

gregwyattjr

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2008
Worst case scenario:
iPad mini introduced, no iPhone.

Best case scenario:
New iPhone introduced.

Who gives a crap about an iPad mini.

prezasti

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2010

Thats what happened when the iPhone 4 came out.

If this is the real 6th-Gen iPhone, it looks like it will be a good upgrade from my iPhone 4, which has been the best cellphone I have ever owned.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.