Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has quietly launched a Hulu Plus channel on Apple TV this morning. We've first received a report from one Apple TV owner who first found the channel to appear this morning and have since been able to confirm it ourselves. We've found that users may have to reboot their Apple TV for the channel to appear.

Hulu Plus is a U.S. online subscription streaming video service with support from many television networks and studios. The service has been notably absent from the Apple TV despite being available on the iPhone/iPad as well as other set top boxes such as Roku.

Existing Hulu Plus users can login, while new users can be billed for Hulu Plus service via their iTunes account.

Thanks Sami

More Screens:

huluplus2.jpg

Update: Hulu has issued a blog post announcing the addition.
Keeping up with the latest episode of Family Guy, MasterChef and New Girl on Hulu Plus just got a little easier. And my living room just got a whole lot happier.

Hulu Plus arrives on Apple TV today.

Article Link: Hulu Plus Now Available on Apple TV

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
Don't forget about the UK!! BBC iPlayer would be nice or have Apple got the hump because they used "i" be fore player?

reckless2k2

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2008
Cable TV - GONE

This is probably going to be the nail in the coffin for me to Cable TV in my house. I'll still be keeping cable internet but this is that last mile that I needed.

h1r0ll3r

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2009
Maryland
YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYY! Now I can start using my Hulu Plus account. Been paying for it for months but never got around to using it.

iKnowMr.Jobs

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2010
Thats great but they still need NFL....whatever in order for most people to cut the cable with this. I'm ordering an Apple TV today, thanks to Hulu on it and Airplay with my MBA

BrownManUPS

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2007
Denver
Definitely makes this device worth it. HBOGO doesn't work for me on streaming devices anyway, because Comcast isn't a part of the licensing deal. Might shelf the Roku box in favor for this, since I've wanted to try Airplay anyway.

----------

Thats great but they still need NFL....whatever in order for most people to cut the cable with this. I'm ordering an Apple TV today, thanks to Hulu on it and Airplay with my MBA

This exactly. I was waiting for this to happen. The other channels will fall in line (and an SDK will likely be released sometime).

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
WOW!

I ditched cable last year and have been doing Hulu+ and Netflix. I've had to do Hulu on the Playstation, which works fine, but using my phone to control the Apple TV is much more convenient. It'll be great to have the 2 things I use more conveniently situated like this.

Plus, it's cheaper to put another Apple TV on a 2nd TV than it is to buy most other Hulu-enabled devices.

AtomicEdge

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2009
Despite the fact that Hulu isn't available in the uk, I have to say, that this does not bode well for an Apple TV app store.

Why would apple still be putting together apps for their partners if they were planning to roll out an app store where people can make their own?

bigcat318

macrumors 6502
Dec 25, 2007
Getting closer to cutting the cable cord. I need HBOgo before any drastic moves are made.

Awhile back an HBO executive claimed that it would never happen. Referring to being able to subscribe to HBO without a premium cable package.

Yelmurc

macrumors regular
Apr 16, 2008
Houston TX
If they keep adding more channels they really need to allow us to remove them from the home screen if we have no intention to use them.

actionjunky

macrumors newbie
Aug 15, 2011
Please Keep Adding

This is a great move. Please keep adding more. HBOGo would be nice, but I would like to see free services added as well. Currently, I have NBC, ABC, TNT, Crackle, TBS, and TED on my iPad. If we could get a few more channels, I would be willing to pay al-a-carte for the stations and nix the cable bill.

bacaramac

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2007
I knew this was coming. When I would be on Youtube doing AirPlay watching videos and then switch to Hulu on my phone just to watch something. It would always try to AirPlay it on Apple TV first and then give an error saying content could not be loaded. I knew there had to be hooks in there for Hulu somewhere based on the way it was behaving.

Finally, last app I needed to use PS3 for. Couldn't be happier, now just get rid of the web-only crap.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.