Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
Meanwhile, Apple puts out a stretched iPhone 4 and laughs all the way to the bank. Minimal investment - maximum return. Gotta admire that from a business stand point.

iPhonemaster5S

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 10, 2011
Colorado
Anything is better than the "long phone". 16:9 on a smartphone SUCKS :(

Very true i would not mind a 4" screen if it was a bit wider when it's that long. It's too disproportionate. I highly doubt apple would use this design however if they use anything similar to this it would probably look great. My favorite thing on this is the glowing apple logo and the apple logo home button, the home button on this is probably capactative which would be great if apple introduced that. What do you think on the capacatative button good or bad?

Want300

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2011
St. Louis, MO
16:9 wouldn't be bad if they increased the width as well.

Yup, the Galaxy S3 is 16:9 and it looks great because it does not have as much wasted space above and below the screen... And because it has a 4.8" screen.

16:9 will look bad on the iPhone Because it has a lot of unused surface area on the front face of the phone... Making it extra long.

Apple-iPhone-5-by-Michal-Bonikowski-thumb-550xauto-65598.jpg

This would make an awesome iPhone IMO.

turaco

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2011
nice concept, really cool, the samsung should copy this model and call it a day......lol, but wait, samsung can't even copy it right.....

samsung = new microsoft < apple

woodekm

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2008
This design would get me as exited as the 4 did when it first came out.

I have a feeling apple sensed the dissapointment from everybody when they brought out the 4s, and not a 5, so I have a little glimmer of hope something different will come out this time.

I just gotta think positive.

Tom8

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2010
Just a guess, but I think that the new 19 pin connector could be magnetic, sort of like a MagSafe

aleni

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2006
design without learning engineering is useless. put all aluminium on the back makes it cooler than two toned design that apple probably use, but how does the signal penetrate the aluminium?

all the internet mock up is useless because it's built by only cool factor, not by real world issue that might comes up with the design itself.

-MRB

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2010
UK
That is beautiful!

Now we're all going to be disappointed when we get the elongated iPhone :p

Ay_Zimmy

macrumors 6502
Jan 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
Now thats what I call an iPhone! This looks actually mostly realistic and down Apple's path. I like the Apple logo as the home button, it connect the phone to the apple logo so much more. Definitely a sleeker and cooler design than what we are expecting.

Want300

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2011
St. Louis, MO
design without learning engineering is useless. put all aluminium on the back makes it cooler than two toned design that apple probably use, but how does the signal penetrate the aluminium?

all the internet mock up is useless because it's built by only cool factor, not by real world issue that might comes up with the design itself.

I know what you are saying... In the renderings I posted, the guy included the iPhone 4/4S side bezel, and a small portion of at the top of the phone is black like the 3G/LTE iPads. Whether that is a big enough opening for good signal, I do not know. So he at least did his homework before putting his design together.

VulchR

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
Interesting design... It looks like the :apple: logo on the front would be used as a home button. I wish Apple could ditch the mechanical home button, perhaps using a touch-sensitive circuit that is completed when the user bridges the gap between the apple and its stalk with their finger (although gloves would be an issue).

EDIT: Just noticed the designer suggests moving the home button to the left edge of the phone, which might not work well depending if you are left- or right-handed.

Last edited:

Shanekarpi251

macrumors member
May 11, 2011
MN
A little too big of a screen for my interest otherwise the design looks great! I'd love to see a new home button and all that.

Gix1k

macrumors 68040
Jun 16, 2008
Now that's a new phone!!!! Disgusted how similar this new phone is to the current!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.