Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maarten22

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 12, 2008
When I open for instance VLC or Aperture the color scheme changes on my Macbook Pro 15" Does anyone know why this happens? I've installed the GM 10.8 Mountain Lion update.
I hope these crappy pictures show the difference.

foto1-2.jpg

(Normal)

foto2-2.jpg

(blueish, with VLC or Aperture opened)

Last edited:

BigJohno

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2007
San Francisco
I am having the same issue with Chrome on ML DP. Im running a 2010 Macbook pro high res.

update: Looks like all non apple apps do this color change. Weather HD, Photoshop, Illustrator, chrome,

Update 2: It went away for a little while. Restarted and it's back. Turning on and off the discrete gpu and on again it does the color change. Makes it blueish!

Last edited:

fheusel

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2012
I am having the same issue with Chrome on ML DP. Im running a 2010 Macbook pro high res.

update: Looks like all non apple apps do this color change. Weather HD, Photoshop, Illustrator, chrome,

Chrome, Photoshop... causes the GPU to switch from the integrated Intel-Chipset to the discrete one (the one which shows the blueish tint).

I'm running a mid 2011 15" MBP (AMD Radeon HD 6750M).

maarten22

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 12, 2008
Problem disappeared on my 2011 macbook pro, but had the same problem on a 17" 2010 macbook pro, and couldn't fix it.

Arelunde

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2011
CA Central Coast
Somewhere in iPhoto or Aperture is a setting option to determine screen color such as Adobe sRGB or Apple. Adobe sRGB, which I use, puts a definite bluish cast on the screen colors. When I power up my late 2011 MBP, it starts out with a warm (yellowish) screen and shifts to the bluish one.

erictooth

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2010
Same problem too on 2010 15" MBP in Mountain Lion. For some reason the colorsync profiles Apple provides aren't being loaded when the discrete GPU is in use, which is why the gamma and color get thrown off.

TheLycan

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2012
I'm in the same boat, but noticed no issue of this kind if external display is attached.

CyBeRino

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2011
I'm in the same boat, but noticed no issue of this kind if external display is attached.

Because this issue is related to switching the GPU from the integrated one to the discrete. On some Macs, once an external display is attached, the machine always switches to the discrete GPU. (Because the external monitor isn't connected to the integrated GPU.)

parapup

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2006
What the crap? I am so annoyed everytime I start VLC the screen turns bluish.

Anyone filed a bugreport with Apple yet?

mustachu

macrumors newbie
Apr 26, 2012
I'm having the same issue on macbook pro mid 2010. The display changes to blueish tone. Has apple fix this problem yet?

mjcxp

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2008
I think I figured out a fix to this problem.

I believe it only occurs on Macbook Pros with GPU switching and have a SSD installed. The reason is due to the fact the SSD loads Mountain Lion too quickly on startup and the appropriate color profile is not installed. Another interesting tidbit is the fact that the top menu bar where Time Machine, Wifi, Time, User, etc are located will not go to the next icon when clicked on and moving the cursor to the next item. This can be fixed by force closing SYSTEMUISERVER and restarting it. I believe the SSD causes this problem too.

The fix I have found is to logout and relog back in. The color profiles will respond appropriately when the GPU switching occurs. The menu bar will also respond appropriately.

Last edited:

aaronlam

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2010
I think I figured out a fix to this problem.

I believe it only occurs on Macbook Pros with GPU switching and have a SSD installed. The reason is due to the fact the SSD loads Mountain Lion too quickly on startup and the appropriate color profile is not installed. Another interesting tidbit is the fact that the top menu bar where Time Machine, Wifi, Time, User, etc are located will not go to the next icon when clicked on and moving the cursor to the next item. This can be fixed by force closing SYSTEMUISERVER and restarting it. I believe the SSD causes this problem too.

The fix I have found is to logout and relog back in. The color profiles will respond appropriately when the GPU switching occurs. The menu bar will also respond appropriately.

Thanks for this. I can confirm that I do have a MBP with an SSD. So far after the reinstall, it's been fine but I might not have restarted yet. If it happens again, I'll try the above.

monugeni

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2012
Confirm solved

I can confirm mjcxp's solution has solved the problem for me.
Restarts did not help, but a simple logout and login did the trick.
No more color changes due to the automatic graphic card switching.

tven99

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2010
Local Disk X
Fix!!!

Hello Guys, i have been frustrated with this problem all morning, but now i have found the solution.
First Turn Off automatic Graphics switching (make the color blueish) Once you have done that restart your computer, it will turn on with the normal color setting.

Hope this helped.
:)

TheLycan

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2012
I believe it only occurs on Macbook Pros with GPU switching and have a SSD installed...

Confirmed, I have SSD installed. But I need automatic Graphics switching turned ON.
Will try mjcxp's solution. Thanks

Pouya

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2012
FileVault is a key!!!

I had the same problem after installing Mountain Lion on my 2010 MacBook Pro with SSD. But after turning off the FileVault the problem was solved magically. I can't figure out any reason for that but it just worked for me. :D

klooney

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2008
I have this same issue. I have a 2010 Macbook Pro with Intel 330 SSD. I upgraded from Lion and went through the various ML Developer Previews and had no issues. Upgraded to ML when it came out and still no issues. Decided to do a clean install (haven't done one since Snow Leopard), and the screen changes colors.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.