Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rantingrich

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 10, 2009
Southern Illinois
What the hell is the idea behind NO shipping you a INSTALL DVD when you buy a MACPRO! I mean WTF? I have read about so many headaches this gives so many people!

I like to WIPE my free space e very once in awhile. Repair permissions and the like. hard to do with out the Install disk.:mad:

For 2-6 grand for a new MACPRO one sudden have to Buy some Disk burning utility to make a new install disk AND have to jump through fiery HOOPS to get a new INSTALL DMG from APPLE.

OH I am talking about Mountain Lion

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
What the hell is the idea behind NO shipping you a INSTALL DVD when you buy a MACPRO!
This is not news. If you bothered to do a bit of research before buying, you'd know that starting with Lion's release over a year ago, the OS is not available on a DVD.
I like to WIPE my free space e very once in awhile. Repair permissions and the like. hard to do with out the Install disk.:mad:
That's what the recovery partition is for:
OS X: About OS X Recovery
Apple - OS X Recovery restores your Mac with a few clicks.
Hands on with Mountain Lion's OS X Recovery and Internet Recovery | Macworld

goMac

Contributor
Apr 15, 2004
Buy a disk burning utility?

Why not use the one that comes with the machine?

Sackvillenb

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2011
Canada! \m/
Although this is not really new news, I do still find it annoying. It's useful to have an optical disk IN CASE you need it later. Yes you can make your own recovery drives, but I wouldn't have to spend the time doing this if apple shipped the dvd. It would just be more convenient. Especially since dvd's are super cheap, it's not like Apple is losing tons of profits because of shipping dvd's. But, I understand that apple wants to move away from optical media...

TableSyrup

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2012
Moving away from optical media is an extremely sensible move.

So inefficient.... shoot... even automotive stereos now have USB ports, bluetooth, etc, so you can stream from other media

And at the price of USB drives now.... especially in bulk.... they should be shipping a USB Drive with the units. What's it gonna cost em? $2-3? DVD's used to cost them that much, even in glassmastered production

Oh well.

I ain't even mad

bearcatrp

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2008
Boon Docks USA
Pc manufacturers have been doing this for years. Apple finally did it. The new Mac mini was the prelude to what's in store for new macs. NO optical drives. I expect the rest of the Mac line of computers to do the same. Welcome to cloud computing!

----------

Looks like this kid has a good buzz. Needs to share some. :eek:

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
I don't think it's extremely sensible at all. Imagine if you are any of the following:

A person without broadband. Apple's answer is to bring it to any Apple store and use their Wi-Fi. DVD is a million times more convenient.

A person with broadband caps. Sure, you can install it, but then enjoy either overage fees or a crippled Internet for the rest of the month. Again, a DVD would have been nice.

A person with Leopard. You can't just buy ML because it's only on the app store and the app store is only on Snow Leopard. So you have to buy Snow Leopard, an OS you don't want, just to get the app store. Except Snow Leopard doesn't even come with the app store. So now you have to do updates on the operating system you don't want, just to get to the app store. Then you can buy another OS, the one you actually wanted in the first place, ML. Then you get to install another OS, the one you actually wanted. This is extremely sensible? A DVD would have been extremely sensible.

Also the MP 5,1 still hasn't had the Internet recovery firmware update. All of the "important" 2010/2011 Macs have got that firmware update.

I get that Apple to pushing us away from physical media. And I agree with 99% of that strategy. But when it comes to the OS itself, I think the DVD should be an option. Even Lion had a thumb drive option, something that ML does not have. Less options is not good.

rantingrich

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 10, 2009
Southern Illinois
Read before leaping

Been doing some reading and yes IT'S TIME TO DUMP OPTICAL!! Running and isntall/utilities from a USB thumbdrive is the way to go

mcnallym

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2008
Yep I struck real lucky at the Apple Store. When it came time for me to upgrade to Lion, I popped into the Apple Store in Reading, UK. Asked one of the staff about a Lion USB Drive as heard you needed to ask as they aren't on the shelf, and am not in to take delivery if order on the online store.

He got one of the other staff to go get one for, got my debit card out ready to pay to be told, thats Ok, you can have it for nothing.

Don't know if it was because the stick was 10.7.0 and 10.7.2 was out by then but my Lion upgrade cost me nothing. Did my mbpro 2008, mini 2009 and parents iMac 2008 along with my efi-x rig. Used it to clean build to Lion my own computers but just upgraded parents iMac, and saved having to create my own USB stick.

Was looking forward to testing my luck originally with a 10.8 usb drive after a while, but have been gutted to see they aren't doing one, so likely will stay with 10.7 for now and see how get on with 10.7.5 etc. From what seen on ML not too fussed, although at £14 can't really complain.

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Jul 3, 2011
Here
What the hell is the idea behind NO shipping you a INSTALL DVD when you buy a MACPRO! I mean WTF? I have read about so many headaches this gives so many people!

For 2-6 grand for a new MACPRO one sudden have to Buy some Disk burning utility to make a new install disk AND have to jump through fiery HOOPS to get a new INSTALL DMG from APPLE.

OH I am talking about Mountain Lion

Is there an issue with disk utility?

rixax

macrumors member
Apr 15, 2012
Toronto
Recovery and doctor

I've used the option - power startup a number of times when troubleshooting to access Lion's recovery partition. I re-installed original Lion a number of times using it (turned out to be a failing ssd drive - keep away from the plastic kensington drives).

Between that and tyime machine, a complete reinstall or doctoring solution is available. Then , when you have time, an external optical drive and something like disk warrior (or a usb lion install) can be a failsafe.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
I've used the option - power startup a number of times when troubleshooting to access Lion's recovery partition. I re-installed original Lion a number of times using it (turned out to be a failing ssd drive - keep away from the plastic kensington drives).

Between that and tyime machine, a complete reinstall or doctoring solution is available. Then , when you have time, an external optical drive and something like disk warrior (or a usb lion install) can be a failsafe.

If your hard drive fails, you won't have the Lion recovery partition. If you want to wipe the hard drive, you won't have the Lion recovery partition. If you have a Mac Pro, you can't fall back to Internet recovery. If you have no broadband, you cannot fall back to Internet recovery.

I'll shut up now. This is all well-known and its beating a dead horse.

rantingrich

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 10, 2009
Southern Illinois
Ssd

Does anyone know what or who makes the SSD at OWC?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Does anyone know what or who makes the SSD at OWC?

Perfectly valid question. OWC's SSDs are not rebranded from another company it that is what you were after. OWC uses the same Sandforce brand controllers many other SSD manufacturers use and off the shelf NAND chips. Using those standard parts OWC has the drives manufactured for their own sale.

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
Call me old fashioned, but I'm still not ready to ditch optical media and won't be for quite a while. It's still one of the most convenient for restoring and backing up OS's. That and I use it for other misc things as well. That being said, I like the 'cloud' as well.

PowerPCMacMan

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2012
PowerPC land
16 or 32GB USB thumbdrives can be had for pretty cheap. They do make a better alternative to optical drives, though most of my stuff is backed up onto DVD's and CD's. But here is a good question: What if you want to watch a DVD and you no longer have an optical drive in your machine anymore?

Suck it up man... just make a bootable disk...

scottsjack

macrumors 68000
Aug 25, 2010
Arizona
Haven't you heard? Optical drives are out, cuz Steve said so! And who buys Mac Pros now? The 15in glued-together-MBP is all the rage. Get with it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.