Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iOrbit

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 8, 2012
for me, airplay mirroring is not smooth, i get some lag. movies is only just about watchable, but noticeable lag.

whats needed for the kind of airplay mirroring that i'v seen others get where films play 100% smooth?

i mean, when i watch the same movies through itunes airplay, they play 100% smooth.

at the moment, im on 10mb broadband.
i have 2011 late 15 inch mbp.

i dont have an ssd yet, but it will be installed when it arrives next week.

is there any settings that could make airplay perform less based on my router or network??

stuaz

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2012
You could try plugging ether the Apple TV or your Mac into Ethernet if possible.

I know it helps if both aren't going over wifi (At least it helped for me).

EvilShenaniganZ

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2009
I have the retina mbp. My air play is unusable with the lag being about 1 min for video and audio is perfect. However when I switch to itunes video and audio is ok? Why wont airplay work but itunes will?

iOrbit

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 8, 2012
You could try plugging ether the Apple TV or your Mac into Ethernet if possible.

I know it helps if both aren't going over wifi (At least it helped for me).

i was thinking of doing that for the apple tv, as it is furthest away from the router, while my laptop is nearer. but i'd need a damn long ethernet cable.

PaulKemp

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2009
Norway
i was thinking of doing that for the apple tv, as it is furthest away from the router, while my laptop is nearer. but i'd need a damn long ethernet cable.

But you could try with a cable, if you have a 2nd monitor etc. And just see if that helps with the airplay mirroring. Also, you should try with a static ip on the Apple TV (i read that while troubleshooting, dont know if it really does anything).

And that works, you should get a better router. Both devices support 5GHz N wireless. You can see in Network Utility what kind of connection you have with your router.

screenshot20120731at612.png

iOrbit

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 8, 2012
But you could try with a cable, if you have a 2nd monitor etc. And just see if that helps with the airplay mirroring. Also, you should try with a static ip on the Apple TV (i read that while troubleshooting, dont know if it really does anything).

And that works, you should get a better router. Both devices support 5GHz N wireless. You can see in Network Utility what kind of connection you have with your router.

my internet got upgraded from 10mbps to 30mbps, that alone has made a difference, airplay mirroring is finally good enough and comfortable enough to use the tv as a monitor, cursor isn't as laggy at all!

i'v ordered a long ethernet cable, to make the apple tv 1gbps connection speed (assuming it supports gigabit ethernet? my router does, my laptop right now is gigabit ethernet connected)

really happy about that today

PaulKemp

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2009
Norway
my internet got upgraded from 10mbps to 30mbps, that alone has made a difference, airplay mirroring is finally good enough and comfortable enough to use the tv as a monitor, cursor isn't as laggy at all!

i'v ordered a long ethernet cable, to make the apple tv 1gbps connection speed (assuming it supports gigabit ethernet? my router does, my laptop right now is gigabit ethernet connected)

really happy about that today

Great! Nothing is better than a happy user. :)

I dont really think that the internet speed does matter though. Its the communication between the ATV and the MBP that matters. The only thing affecting those machines is the router. If the video was choppy or laggy on the MBP in the first place, that would be the case.

I was thinking more in the direction of using wireless b or g or 2.4 GHz instead of 5 etc.

The Apple TV does not support gigabit, but a wired connection is always to be preferred. Wireing one of the devices would also help (I think) cause' then only one of the devices would use the wireless. Anyway, it works now! Great!

iOrbit

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 8, 2012
Great! Nothing is better than a happy user. :)

I dont really think that the internet speed does matter though. Its the communication between the ATV and the MBP that matters. The only thing affecting those machines is the router. If the video was choppy or laggy on the MBP in the first place, that would be the case.

I was thinking more in the direction of using wireless b or g or 2.4 GHz instead of 5 etc.

The Apple TV does not support gigabit, but a wired connection is always to be preferred. Wireing one of the devices would also help (I think) cause' then only one of the devices would use the wireless. Anyway, it works now! Great!

trust me, the new internet speed made a difference, i say that based on using the mouse alone.

my router is wireless N standard, its known as the 'virgin media superhub' here.

its the only thing thats changed, the internet speed.

the video is never choppy on my mbp or through airplay in itunes.

its not really choppy on air mirroring, it just has moments of stuttering, its just not silky smooth. only NON HD video is silky smooth so far, whch im not complaining about.

PaulKemp

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2009
Norway
Try to stream a 1080p downloaded movie, but without Internet enabled. Then tell me how the new Internet speed could have anything to do with aiplay mirroring working better? AirPlay is not internet dependent. If you wired your MBP however, that would make a difference.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.