Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Jul 31, 2012, 03:04 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

'The Daily' Lays Off 30% of Staff, Switches to Vertical-Only Design to Cut Costs

News Corp.'s celebrated tablet newspaper The Daily will lay off 50 of its 170 employees and slash costs by creating all digital pages in the newspaper in vertical format only, rather than designing pages in both vertical and horizontal formats, among other things, reports All Things Digital:
Quote:
Employees who produce the paper's editorial page and sports coverage will be heavily hit by the layoffs, and the Daily will run skeletal versions of those sections from now on. But the cuts will affect other parts of the Daily, including its design and production staff.

[...]

But people familiar with the paper's plans say it isn't changing other parts of its strategy, including a recent move to produce a weekend edition.
Earlier this month, it was reported that The Daily had been put "on watch" and that the iPad newspaper was losing tens of millions of dollars a year.

Pricing for the iPad version of The Daily is currently set at $0.99 per week or $39.99 per year via In App Subscription, with the iPhone version being offered at roughly half-price on monthly and yearly subscriptions.

Article Link: 'The Daily' Lays Off 30% of Staff, Switches to Vertical-Only Design to Cut Costs
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2012, 03:16 PM   #2
Jodles
macrumors regular

It's such a cool app, but horrible journalism... Definitely a great way to present news on a tablet device instead of trying to emulate a newspaper format. Just sort the journalism out!
Jodles is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2012, 03:16 PM   #3
sazivad
macrumors 6502

It was News Corp. anyway.
sazivad is offline   12 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2012, 03:19 PM   #4
Jodles
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sazivad View Post
It was News Corp. anyway.
Point...
Jodles is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2012, 03:35 PM   #5
HitchHykr
macrumors 6502a

Queue in the Fox News/News Corp/Rupert Murdoch haters in 3...2...1...
HitchHykr is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2012, 03:36 PM   #6
starbird
macrumors 6502

Perhaps...

The should consider selling the app, so to speak. Just a though.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 03:45 PM   #7
tazhombre
macrumors member

Vertical only? I use my iPad in horizontal 98% of the time. Guess I won't be considering using it any time soon.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 03:53 PM   #8
JoEw
macrumors 6502a

great great platform to deliver news the app has an amazing UI, to bad the articles just suck... It doesn't matter how you present the content, if the content is crap. It won't be successful. The Daily has proven this.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 03:59 PM   #9
Codyak
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by HitchHykr View Post
How can you not hate on Fox News?
Codyak is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2012, 04:00 PM   #10
tasset
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Well if the editorials didn't cater to the 1% and iDevice-less rural yokels who support them, perhaps their subscription base could have been sustainable!
I did like the app design though. Shame.
tasset is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2012, 04:04 PM   #11
Queso
macrumors 603

Quote:
Mate, they hacked the voicemail of a brutally murdered teenager, just to get a story. How low would they have to go before you see them for what they are?
Queso is offline   21 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2012, 04:12 PM   #12
imageWIS
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
There's a lot to hate.
imageWIS is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2012, 04:20 PM   #13
ChrisA
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jodles View Post
It's such a cool app, but horrible journalism... Definitely a great way to present news on a tablet device instead of trying to emulate a newspaper format. Just sort the journalism out!
And now that they have fired most of their editorial staff we can expect even worse writing. That is a sure way to die. People only buy a newspaper because they expect better content than they get on the free web sites.
ChrisA is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2012, 04:36 PM   #14
riverfreak
macrumors 6502

LOL moment of the day. They're going to save costs by only publishing the digital edition in a vertical format?

News Corp is known for its shoddy and unethical journalism. Is it any wonder they can't hire developers smart enough to separate content from formatting and deliver their crappy product in any format and layout they choose with virtually no effort?

That is just sad and pathetic. They need The Bobs to come in and do some corporate restructuring. Is this good for the company?

Proving once again that mediocrity attracts mediocrity, and then it reproduces.
riverfreak is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2012, 04:37 PM   #15
rollinginthemud
macrumors newbie

Really the only good thing about the Daily was Dear Coquette.
rollinginthemud is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2012, 05:00 PM   #16
quasinormal
Banned

Quote:
Cue in a punch in the face from Wendi.

It is not about hate. It is about News Ltd perverting democracy. I have literally bumped into pre fox/NYT/LT/sky Rupert a couple of times in my younger days. He seemed like a very decent bloke at the time.

Sadly i think age has gotten the better of poor old Rupe. Time for Wendi to kick some liberal butt.
quasinormal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2012, 05:03 PM   #17
BC2009
macrumors 68000

I got free trials of The Daily several times, but every time it did not keep me engaged enough to even read the issues they gave me for free.

1) It rarely was "up-to-date" when I launched it -- instead I had to wait for it to update to the latest issue

2) The reporting was nothing great except for a couple of articles here and there (I liked their piece on the revolution in Egypt)

3) The layout and design were cool, but I prefer something simpler like the USA Today app's layout (simple sections, tappable videos, horizontal swipe between stories, vertical swipe between pages of same story and advertisements that are easy to dismiss). The Daily added bells and whistles I did not really need.

I wanted to like The Daily, but it has never really kept me engaged.
BC2009 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2012, 05:53 PM   #18
Shaun, UK
macrumors 68000

Quote:
There are good reasons why so many people hate the Murdoch media.

Why don't you just express your own view rather than trying to goad people.
Shaun, UK is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2012, 06:24 PM   #19
NorCalLights
macrumors 6502

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say the problem with The Daily isn't too many layouts... the problem is bad journalism.

Laying off employees hasn't saved the local print newspaper, and it won't save this newfangled digital one either. If News Corp is serious about saving this property, it's time to double down and start publishing the real, compelling journalism that well-educated, young-professional readers are interested in. That's how you grow a readership.

Oh wait... I forgot... real, compelling journalism is at odds with the close-minded political views of the parent company. Good luck...
NorCalLights is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2012, 06:44 PM   #20
WilliamLondon
macrumors 68000

Quote:
I'm sure this has nothing whatsoever to do with the fact that News Corp is splitting and trying to make the non-broadcast side of the company appear more valuable. They're doing it in other areas of the company, for example, the London Times just increased its price (hugely) and cut its content at the same time.

I'm sure that has nothing at all to do with trying to create a corporation that is lean and looks to be worth more than it actually is, due to excessive cost cutting and short term price increases (intending to drive revenue).

It's a well known trick companies do to make themselves more appealing before a sale or valuation.

Oh, and it's crap journalism, but then so is everything Murdoch owns.
WilliamLondon is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2012, 07:45 PM   #21
Earendil
macrumors 68000

Politics and good journalism aside, I hope and assume that "cutting 50 employees" will save 1000x more than it took the one dev and one layout guy to get the horizontal content correct? And yet horizontal content is arguably one of the biggest features of the application. Dear goodness what are they thinking.

I'm no media expert, but I served as the chief photo editor for a student run college paper for a year. It was a weekly, but the bright students I worked with had no problem laying out a 12 page paper in 4-8 hours on a Sunday night before the 6am print. Obviously there are differences of format and quality, but the cost savings, if you're doing it right, can't be THAT much.

"ooo! They have the internet on computers now!" - Homer J. Simpson
Earendil is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2012, 08:06 PM   #22
BornAgainMac
macrumors 601

Didn't see a difference from other news outlets. For the haters, what do you recommend for news? How do you know that source is accurate and ethical?
BornAgainMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2012, 08:13 PM   #23
Aqua Bliss
macrumors 6502

Dear Daily, if you change to Vertical only, I am cancelling my subscription. I loathe using my iPad vertically.

Surely this move will cause additional layoffs - pick horizontal for the sake of your few remaining employees.
Aqua Bliss is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2012, 08:25 PM   #24
Rocketman
macrumors 603

The Daily is an example of the RDF working in a real way.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 09:07 PM   #25
Badandy
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by tasset View Post
Well if the editorials didn't cater to the 1%...
Uggh. Barf.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion