Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

boronathan

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2012
Who the hell can't afford an iPhone?

People don't understand this, iPhones are not super expensive, its not like a typical Samsung is a Ford Fusion and a iPhone is a ****ing ferrari.

Its more like the iPhone is like the same ford fusion with the leather option.

I didn't specifically say people can't afford iPhones. I said ppl who can't afford the more expensive smartphones choose the Android because they're cheap. I'm not saying the iPhone is expensive, it's not. It's not overpriced either. The s3 costs more then the 4s on a two year contract, and costs the same as the 4s did when the 4s first came out.

What I'm saying is if you don't or can't spend 299 bucks on a phone, you'll choose Android or the 3gs lol.

wedouglas

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2012
I said I think. Ie in my own opinion. We are all entitled to our own opinions. If you like the Android OS, that's your opinion and you are entitled to it.

Yeah, but you haven't given any reasons and most people never do. It's like saying that the color green is better than blue. There is nothing wrong with liking green more than blue, but it sounds pretty stupid to say it's better or that blue is a ****** color.

Both OS's are quite capable and quite good. They each have some features that the other lacks, but neither is terrible or significantly worse than the other. If anything, people are just used to one thing and then they think some different is ****** simply because they aren't as familiar with it.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
Yeah, but you haven't given any reasons and most people never do. It's like saying that the color green is better than blue. There is nothing wrong with liking green more than blue, but it sounds pretty stupid to say it's better or that blue is a ****** color.

Both OS's are quite capable and quite good. They each have some features that the other lacks, but neither is terrible or significantly worse than the other. If anything, people are just used to one thing and then they think some different is ****** simply because they aren't as familiar with it.

1. Version fragmentation across the Android hardware
2. Graphics particular 3D gaming performance is sub par in my opinion
3. Closing idle programs is not done in the best way possible. Needs improvement.
4. Android SD cards can only be FAT32 on the phones I have used.
5. The Android data back up to the cloud has issues and is not available to all Android devices.

And I could list more and more but 5 will do.
I should not have to prove myself to you. I said I think Android OS is crap. My personal opinion. You think it's alright. Your personal opinion. Repetition for the same of emphasis, which I think you need.

I think Android is a sub par mobile OS. And until Google to something to fix this that will be my opinion.

asteng88

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2010
New York
So using your logic, Apple stole ideas from RIM, Palm, And Microsoft and Nokia? Because iOS barrows from all of those, and they all came before iOS right?

Can you show me the swipe and gestures on any of these phones please? Anyone? No? Ok thought so.

wedouglas

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2012
1. Version fragmentation across the Android hardware
2. Graphics particular 3D gaming performance is sub par in my opinion
3. Closing idle programs is not done in the best way possible. Needs improvement.
4. Android SD cards can only be FAT32 on the phones I have used.
5. The Android data back up to the cloud has issues and is not available to all Android devices.

And I could list more and more but 5 will do.
I should not have to prove myself to you. I said I think Android OS is crap. My personal opinion. You think it's alright. Your personal opinion. Repetition for the same of emphasis, which I think you need.

I think Android is a sub par mobile OS. And until Google to something to fix this that will be my opinion.

1. That's a hardware/manufacturer issue, not an Android issue.

2. 3D performance is a hardware/manufacturer issue, not an Android issue, though there are plenty of phones that compete rather well and outperform the iPhone 4S.

3. Perhaps, though I don't find task management to be an issue.

4. iPhones don't even have an SD slot, so I'm not sure how you can hold it against Android.

5. Perhaps, though again not being available on all hardware is a... hardware/manufacturer issue.

Android is an OS, not a phone. Just because manufacturers release ****** phones that they won't update doesn't make the OS ******. Google releases a new version and sometimes it includes features that won't work on old hardware because the hardware is too old or because manufacturers don't want to make it work, just like Apple releases iOS features that won't make it to previous hardware like the 3GS and iPhone 4. How about Apple's biggest thing since sliced bread -- Siri -- which isn't available even on the iPhone 4?

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
1. That's a hardware/manufacturer issue, not an Android issue.

2. 3D performance is a hardware/manufacturer issue, not an Android issue, though there are plenty of phones that compete rather well and outperform the iPhone 4S.

3. Perhaps, though I don't find task management to be an issue.

4. iPhones don't even have an SD slot, so I'm not sure how you can hold it against Android.

5. Perhaps, though again not being available on all hardware is a... hardware/manufacturer issue.

Android is an OS, not a phone. Just because manufacturers release ****** phones that they won't update doesn't make the OS ******. Google releases a new version and sometimes it includes features that won't work on old hardware because the hardware is too old or because manufacturers don't want to make it work, just like Apple releases iOS features that won't make it to previous hardware like the 3GS and iPhone 4. How about Apple's biggest thing since sliced bread -- Siri -- which isn't available even on the iPhone 4?

The OS should work properly of the latest versions on the hardware released. Don't just blame the manufacturers. It's up to Google to work with them to make sure the latest hardware has all the features. And also up to Google to get the manufacturers to put the latest version of the OS on their newly designed phones.

And the latest hardware from Apple (4S) has all the OS features. Old hardware has less features. That's a fact on all hardware not just phones.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
It's up to Google to work with them to make sure the latest hardware has all the features. And also up to Google to get the manufacturers to put the latest version of the OS on their newly designed phones.

And you know for a fact that Google doesn't do this or try this? Just asking what your source is or if this is just your opinion.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
And you know for a fact that Google doesn't do this or try this? Just asking what your source is or if this is just your opinion.

Just my opinion. I am not google. I'm saying Google should be doing it. Because if they are then their results are not that great.

Ryno76

macrumors member
Aug 25, 2011
Are you from a universe where there is only one iPhone on sale? Here they sell a variety of iPhones which a variable amount of storage.

guess you don't understand the concept of Samsung producing multiple types/brands of phones....galaxy, exhibit, the list goes on....on AT&T's site there are 10 different types of samsung phones. Variable amount of storage doesn't count since its the same phone just different storage options....if you want to count it then add a couple more as the G III has a couple different options. The iphone is one brand...
All in all, samsung makes out either way...they produce so many other products. Phones, tv's, etc...that list goes on too....

unlinked

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2010
Ireland
guess you don't understand the concept of Samsung producing multiple types/brands of phones....galaxy, exhibit, the list goes on....on AT&T's site there are 10 different types of samsung phones. Variable amount of storage doesn't count since its the same phone just different storage options....if you want to count it then add a couple more as the G III has a couple different options. The iphone is one brand...
All in all, samsung makes out either way...they produce so many other products. Phones, tv's, etc...that list goes on too....

So I take it you are from a universe where only the iPhone 4S is on sale.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
172% is incredible but I don't know how. The SIII is nice but not as nice as the 4S or Lumia 900.

That is because the significant majority of the phones Samsung and Nokia ship are not the Galaxy S III or the Lumina 900. :) They're free "not so smart phones" that have very limited functionality compared to those flagships for Android and Windows Phone 7.

Gigaman

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2011
I have seen the phone. You can talk about "specs" but 90% of people who buy phones are picking them up and feeling them, looking at the screen, etc.... Pickup the iPhone 4 or 4s and it SUCKs compared to the SIII or the One X. Been hoping for a redesign for the iPhone 5 but so far the rumors are not looking good.

Oh, and I was comparing it to the rumors about the unreleased iPhone 5 as well as the 4s

Don't usually go on MR, but I saw this and couldn't help but laugh a bit. The SIII is hopeless in the aesthetics front. It's a sad day when people with the attention span of a kitten choose different over good.

Jaro65

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2009
Seattle, WA
Don't usually go on MR, but I saw this and couldn't help but laugh a bit. The SIII is hopeless in the aesthetics front. It's a sad day when people with the attention span of a kitten choose different over good.

Sad or not, millions of people are making such a choice.

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar

Is hopeless in your opinion, you know, it is subjective.

kevinof

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2008
Dublin/London
So we should all settle for style over substance? I switched from ios to andriod (s3) because ios didn't fit my needs ( the usual reasons - attachments in email, sharing docs, dropbox integration, file system (I fly a lot and taking docs with me is important).

We all choose smartphones to suit our needs at the time and I for one will give up style for substance in a heartbeat. Not that the S3 lacks in style in my opinion ( and the millions of others who bought it).

aesthetics/style is subjective.

...The SIII is hopeless in the aesthetics front. It's a sad day when people with the attention span of a kitten choose different over good.

Gigaman

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2011
So we should all settle for style over substance? I switched from ios to andriod (s3) because ios didn't fit my needs ( the usual reasons - attachments in email, sharing docs, dropbox integration, file system (I fly a lot and taking docs with me is important).

We all choose smartphones to suit our needs at the time and I for one will give up style for substance in a heartbeat. Not that the S3 lacks in style in my opinion ( and the millions of others who bought it).

aesthetics/style is subjective.

Are you suddenly talking about the OS? You may want to backtrack. I'm sure you realize how much the recognition the iPhone's designs have acquired, either way there's no comparison to a phone not even a year old.

PS. I can do all that with my iPhone, non jailbroken of course.

----------

Is hopeless in your opinion, you know, it is subjective.

I'm aware...? Not the point to my comment but alright.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.