Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

leethecam

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2012
Storage upgrades...?

On the bit where it offers to alow an upgrade to the size of storage it mentions that this is not upgradable at a later date (so choose carefully now...)

I knew the RAM was hard wired to the board but always thought the SSD was socketed and therefore upgradable when memory became more affordable.

Can anyone enlighten me...?

george-brooks

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
This is interesting.

This makes it cheaper, for me, as a college student.

I get the $200 off, plus the processors are discounted with the "base"

A 2.6ghz, 16gb ram and 512 ssd is 2719 as the "base" model and 2779 as the upgraded model.

I was wondering about that...
Interesting that the same configuration is discounted with by starting with the base, maybe this is definitely a mistake by apple then

george-brooks

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
On the bit where it offers to alow an upgrade to the size of storage it mentions that this is not upgradable at a later date (so choose carefully now...)

I knew the RAM was hard wired to the board but always thought the SSD was socketed and therefore upgradable when memory became more affordable.

both are soldered to the logig board and not user replaceable

fReEkLiSt101

macrumors newbie
Aug 1, 2012
Education Store

I found the options to be different if you log into via the Education Store or if you just set up the order. You do not get the extra options via the Education Store

george-brooks

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
$1000 for a 768GB SSD upgrade ???

Unbelievable price!

In the UK, SSDs seem to be hovering around the 50p/Gig mark currently.

So if you buy from Apple, you're paying $1.30 per gig and losing the stock drive in the process.

EDIT: Just looked at the UK site and it's £800 for the 768GB upgrade. So only double what I'd expect to pay at £1.04 per gig. Bargain!!

Apple has overcharged for their SSDs by hundreds of dollars since the very first macbook air. Now that they've made it so that it is impossible for the user to buy the base HD and upgrade on their own, they can charge whatever they want for it!

kobyh15

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2011
It worked for me on the Apple Store app on my iPhone in the US. Definitely worth 100 bucks for the processor upgrade on the base model.

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT

both are soldered to the logig board and not user replaceable

The SSD is *not* soldered to the logic board, it's on a socketed daughter card: http://guide-images.ifixit.net/igi/LpjTmUO4MTnygPTv.huge. The RAM is also visible in that picture, and is soldered on (the chips labeled "Hynix").

Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
Has anybody actually tried to use these?

I tried to option out a low-end macbook pro, and the CPU and SSD options did not change my total price, and were not reflected when I added the machine to my cart.

Not that I care, but the Swiss store works fine with the options, even for lower-end retina models.

mike5411

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2008
I was wondering about that...
Interesting that the same configuration is discounted with by starting with the base, maybe this is definitely a mistake by apple then

I agree why it makes me think it is a mistake. At the very least, the prices must be incorrect since there isn't a reason Apple would make a CTO base cheaper than the higher end model.

I predict these orders will be canceled, not because they cannot be made, but because the prices are incorrect and Apple will be slammed if they raise the CTO component prices on the base.

Textureboy

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2012
Just woke up to this news and checked and it's working for me! $100 for processor upgrading?! I'll add $200 for the RAM and but an external hard drive to save my from the high end model! This is a DEAL :D

Ryth

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2011
This could be a mistake and might have been for a mid cycle refresh say in Oct/Nov whenever the iMac is released.

Apple Key

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2012
This doesn't make any sense unless they are preparing to consolidate the offerings into one model. Which they wouldn't do because they just released the Retina Macbook Pro recently.

Apple should never offer two product selections which can be configured to the exact same specs. It makes it very confusing for the user.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.