Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iLounge shares a new report highlighting a couple of tidbits of information it has received about Apple's upcoming iOS device plans.

According to the report, the new dock connector set to to debut on the next-generation iPhone will contain just 8 pins, compared to the 30 pins used on the current connector and the 19 pins that have been rumored by several sources for the upcoming connector.
According to two sources, Apple's new Dock Connector features only 8 pins, seemingly contradicting claims of "16-pin" and "19-pin" connectors. [...]

Both of our sources concur that there are eight pins in a line within the new Dock Connector, which may well receive a different name going forward.
One of iLounge's sources also claims that the new connector will include several other design features, "potentially" including the ability to mate devices with docks and cables in either orientation, eliminating the need to determine which side of the cable is the front before connecting. The report makes mention of Apple's MagSafe standard used for power connectivity on its notebooks, but this appears to be in relation to the connection orientation options rather than a specific claim that the new iOS device dock connector will use magnets for attachment.

newdock.png

Case openings for dock connectors on iPhone 4S (left) and claimed next-generation iPhone (right)
On a separate note, Apple is also said to be working on an as yet undisclosed iOS 6 feature that would take advantage of the low-power Bluetooth 4.0 connectivity available in Apple's recent products to provide new levels of inter-device communication. While no specifics on the functionality have apparently been shared, the report speculates on a number of potential implementations:
Our source also claimed that Apple is working on an as-yet-undisclosed iOS 6 feature that will act as a bridge between its Bluetooth 4-capable devices. The feature would enable, say, a future iPod nano to display iMessages received by an iPhone, record voice memos that could be shared via the iPhone, and even initiate phone calls through its own headphones.
Apple will be introducing the next-generation iPhone on September 12, with availability apparently set for Friday, September 21.

Article Link: Apple's New Dock Connector with 8 Pins? Cross-Device Integration via Bluetooth 4.0?

TimAlia

macrumors newbie
Sep 3, 2007
The Apple iPhone-paired wristwatch is coming.

Seriously... all the evidence points to it.

ipod_nano_clip_charger-e1342124199741.jpg

Virtualball

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2006
This could possibly lead to answering text messages/phone calls on your laptop instead of having to look around the room for your phone or pull it out in public. Epic.

commander.data

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2006
Now that USB3.0 is finally built into Macs, has their been any rumours that the new Dock Connector will support USB3.0 transfers? Smaller size, fewer pins, and dual orientation are all good features, but USB3.0 support is the most important for me.

TimAlia

macrumors newbie
Sep 3, 2007
This could possibly lead to answering text messages/phone calls on your laptop instead of having to look around the room for your phone or pull it out in public. Epic.

Yes. Maybe they'll invent something called iMessage and it will be on the next Mac OS.

Razorhog

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2006
Arkansas
Aside from the other features/advantages, I really hope the new connector does allow the cable to be plugged in without having it "right side up". It's not that hard for me to do, but older folks can really struggle with that due to poor eyesight.

basesloaded190

macrumors 68030
Oct 16, 2007
Wisconsin
Now that USB3.0 is finally built into Macs, has their been any rumours that the new Dock Connector will support USB3.0 transfers? Smaller size, fewer pins, and dual orientation are all good features, but USB3.0 support is the most important for me.

Really? The most important. I know it sucks when you first have to transfer everything to a new phone, but how often would you really need faster speeds when you plug your phone into your computer?

mentalradio

macrumors newbie
Apr 7, 2012
Something I noticed...

If you look at the two attached images, you'll notice that the speaker grills are 'flipped around' between the black phone and white phone.

prototype-120730-3.jpg

iPhone-5-smaller-dock-connector-confirmed1.jpeg

Any significance?

Tussen69

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2006
I´ve read that it will be called MagPort and will be a magnetic connection that will handle both data transmission and charging

tatonka

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2009
I would have bet on Apple implementing standard micro USB connector instead of yet another proprietary one (what is the point of leaving the 30 pin connector behind then).

The bluetooth thing sounds like a pretty cool thing .. I would love to receive phone notification on my desktop screen.
I don't see myself wearing a ipod nano wristwatch for video calls .. although that would be quite sci-fi-y

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
I'd like to see a Magsafe-like power+data connector on the iPhone. Not for safety reasons - you'd have to make the magnet much weaker for a lightweight iPhone or it wouldn't disconnect in the event of the cable getting snagged on something.

But the socket at the bottom of the phone is a 'fluff magnet' and you can damage the pins when trying to get it out. A non-recessed socket which draws the pins out when attached would be much more pocket-friendly.

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
I'd love to see the current Nano get bluetooth and be able to interface with other iOS devices.

Some sort of magsafe-like dock connector for future devices would be awesome as well.

Buckeyestar

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2011
lol, that is what I was thinking when i read that post

Does iMessage handle texts from non iOS devices. Or phone calls? If you really read the comment, that's what they're hoping for. But it's so much easier to sling a snide comment out there.

Tom8

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2010
If you look at the two attached images, you'll notice that the speaker grills are 'flipped around' between the black phone and white phone.

Any significance?
Bottom image is a render, where as the top one is the actual physical structure of the phone that leaked, so the designer was guessing at the render.

AppleNewsTech

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2012
Whole New Design

Like I've been saying in previous threads, the leaked iPhone five design is fake. I know this because they have a 19 pin dock connector on the end of the device that has been leaked so far. If the new one is going to be 8 pins, then this one was a fake decoy leaked by Apple and was their way of throwing us off of the real, all-new, radically change design that is going to come in the next iPhone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.