Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which NAS should I get?

• DS 712+

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • DS 212j

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Other NAS, please indicate

Votes: 1 20.0%

• Total voters

williamrodz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 14, 2011
I'm really considering purchasing a NAS device for my home network and decided upon the Synology DS 712+ and the DS 212j. The DS 712+ is more higher end and offers some more capabilities than the cheaper DS 212j, but they are both 2-bay NAS devices, accommodating up to 2 4TB drives with great features. I plan to install two 3 TB hard drives (the second one for redundancy) for Time Machine backup for 4 Macs, Centralized Media Storage, and the occasional torrent download. Which of the two models should I get? Should I shell out an extra $300 for the DS 712+ or go with the cheaper DS 212j ? Also, where is a good place to buy the hard drives and which specific hard drives do you recommend? THANKS A LOT, any advice is appreciated !:D

monsieurpaul

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2009
DS212+: better than DS212j and cheaper than DS712+

On a side note, RAID is not a backup. You should put one of your drive in the Syno and the other in a USB 3 enclosure plugged to the Syno for backup.

williamrodz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 14, 2011
Now that you mentioned the DS 212+, I think I'm seriously deciding between it and the DS 212 (no plus) . Is the DS 212+ worth the extra money ? I'm thinking of purchasing either the WD Red 3 TB disks or the Seagate Barracuda 3 TB HDDs.

monsieurpaul

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2009
It depends on how you want to use it:

- 212+ have twice the ram (512 MB vs 256 MB) and a faster processor than the 212j and the 212. But it still an ARM processor, while the 712+ has an Intel processor + 1 GB of RAM.

Do you want to use a lot of services on it (Photo Station, Media Station, download station, iTunes server, etc.)? If so, you'll need more RAM and a faster processor. If you want to use Crahsplan, you'll be way better with an Intel processor. On the other hand, if you just need shared folder on your network, the DS212j will be just fine.

I own a DS212j and I am very happy with it.

williamrodz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 14, 2011
I just bought the DS 212+ and will be using it for backup and media server. I think it's appropriate and should satisfy my needs. I also purchased two WD Red 3 TB Drives to use. How did the setup process go for you? Is the file transferring fast?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.