Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

milbournosphere

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2009
San Diego, CA
FYI, if your iPad is jailbroken, you'll need to have xCon installed from Cydia in order to actually watch video. Otherwise you'll get a 'Playback not allowed' message.

Buckeyestar

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2011
2 things I'd like to see are:

1. iPhone support
2. Search functionality

Other then that it's much appriciated

I wholeheartedly agree.

Is their movie/tv show catalog better than Netlix?

It seems similar. Movie selection is limited as it with Netflix. They have most of the same TV shows available, and currently have exclusive streaming of shows such as Fringe and West Wing. Amazon Prime is cheaper than Netflix, though you only have a yearly option rather than month to month. Of course Prime has other non streaming benefits such as free 2 day delivery on any Amazon orders.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Not a Prime member; but having one more source to rent movies from? I’m in!

(I’d LOVE it if I could rent per-title from Netflix. 20 shows this week, none for six months... what ever I want, Pay as I Go. My money awaits you, Netflix!)

2crazy

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2012
Saint Louis
Apple TV

It would be awesome if we could have Amazon Prime on Apple TV one day. After the introduction of Hulu, I think Amazon is the only one that is really missing on ATV.

mjtomlin

Jan 19, 2002
Is this going to be like the Kindle app where you can download things you've purchased elsewhere, but you can't actually purchase something in the app?

There isn't anything to purchase in this app. It's an "Instant Video" player, i.e. streaming only. All of this content is free through Amazon's Prime service.

To sign up for the service you do have to go to the website, but I think you need to do that anyway through the Amazon Store.

mjtomlin

Jan 19, 2002
I am impressed that Amazon decided to make this available on the IPad instead of just keeping it for their own products. Very nice.

Amazon's business model is about selling content (and other goods), the more platforms it's available on the better.

swagi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2007
Seriously. Add this, HBO Go, and Watch ESPN, and the Apple TV will replace probably 75% of the time I use my Xbox. And I hate using my Xbox for video because it's so damn loud.

Get a 360Slim. It's really worth it. And if you already have one and think it's loud - get your device checked. It should be silent (speaking from experience of nearly two years)

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
There isn't anything to purchase in this app. It's an "Instant Video" player, i.e. streaming only. All of this content is free through Amazon's Prime service.

Are you sure? What does this line in the article mean?

- Download purchased and rented videos from Your Video Library

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
I am impressed that Amazon decided to make this available on the IPad instead of just keeping it for their own products. Very nice.

I am more surprised it took them this long honestly.

The Kindle fire is more than likely sold pretty close to cost. The real money is from the other services. I keep waiting for them to release a streaming app for android and WP7. If they do not do it by Xmas there is a good chance my prime membership will not be renewed. I can not renew my student account again and not worth paying 80 a year when I have netflix that I can watch on my android devices.

Rayd5365

macrumors member
Aug 31, 2010

To sign up for the service you do have to go to the website, but I think you need to do that anyway through the Amazon Store.

It is streaming only for prime content, But you CAN download titles that you have bought for offline viewing. I downloaded, to the device, a movie I purchased like 3 years ago to watch on my TiVo. Very cool.

So, for Prime titles, it is like Netflix, streaming only. For purchased & rented content, it's like iTunes. You can stream on-demand, or download.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL

Yes, because ...

Not a Prime member; but having one more source to rent movies from? I’m in!

:)

Amazon's business model is about selling content (and other goods), the more platforms it's available on the better.

... see above :D

Looks pretty solid, ran some Firefly episodes on my iPad (3rd gen), just nice to have another device that can access Amazon content (especially since we're Prime members).

No Airplay video support feels a little strategic on their part, you know, keep the partners with Amazon Video to/in TVs with at least one offering that's not also available from Apple ... though I suppose that's solved with a physical video out connection from an iPad[?]

h1r0ll3r

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2009
Maryland
FYI, if your iPad is jailbroken, you'll need to have xCon installed from Cydia in order to actually watch video. Otherwise you'll get a 'Playback not allowed' message.

THANK YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!! I was wondering why I kept getting that error message.

Now to decide whether to use this app or cancel Hulu.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Two big questions:

1) Does this carry subtitles for us deaf or hard-of-hearing people?

I don't see any subtitle options in the app, I also fired up a couple of movies (MI:3 for example) and there was no subtitle option while it was playing.

Now to decide whether to use this app or cancel Hulu.

Well, Hulu Plus does have much more recent TV. Amazon and Netflix are generally a season behind.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.