Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Yesterday, we noted that Apple was preparing to close the door completely on its MobileMe service, bringing to an end the grace period that had allowed users to retrieve their Gallery photos and iDisk files and to transition their accounts to iCloud following the June 30 shutdown of the service.

As of today, visitors to MobileMe.com are no longer given the option to convert their accounts to iCloud or to retrieve old photos and files, with Apple now simply pointing users to iCloud.

mobileme_final_closure.jpg

Also in line with previous announcements, Apple has officially discontinued its iWork.com service, automatically redirecting visitors to the main Apple home page. While the service was to officially shut down as of the end of the day yesterday, it did continue to function until just a short time ago.

We noted yesterday that Apple was unlikely to provide a grace period to allow users to retrieve iWork.com documents after the official discontinuation date, and that does indeed appear to be the case.

Article Link: Apple Officially Ends MobileMe Transition and Shuts Down iWork.com

akm3

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2007
NOOOOOOOOOOOO I'VE LOST CRITICAL FILES! I HAD NO IDEA!@ :(

(/sarcasm)

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
I'm an idiot. With that said.

Anybody that doesn't know how to remove that publish to iWork icon just click on view>options and drag it off the menu bar.

Then it's gone.

Guess it easier for the user to do that then it is for Apple to come out with a new version.

koolmagicguy

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2012
New York
Apple gave plenty of time for users to adapt. Personally, I never used the service. iCloud does a lot, but in terms of website hosting it doesn't do anything. (As far as I know)

swingerofbirch

macrumors 68040
I don't know why this comes to mind, I guess because I'm so terrified of data loss, but for some reason I imagine someone who was using MobileMe to store important data and thought, "Well it's the cloud, it's safe, it's there indefinitely." And I imagine that person has been on a two year research trip to the middle of some jungle area without Internet access and once they return to civilization they'll find out that MobileMe was discontinued and all their data is gone. Makes me feel sad for that person, if he or she exists.

I mean presumably most people found out that it was being discontinued. But with most types of storage, you don't need to check your e-mail constantly to find out whether your data is in risk of being erased or not. I think most people approach the cloud as "set it and forget it." And given that MobileMe wasn't too popular, I wonder how much it would have really cost Apple to keep the accounts open?

I was recently pleasantly surprised to find that freeservers.com was still hosting files I had uploaded with them over 12 years ago. It was a fun walk down memory lane, and I never paid them a cent.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
Watch carefully, and observe what is happening here.

Basically, don't get too attached to iCloud, or any other "cloud service". Companies will happily shut them down when the next "new thing" comes along, leaving users annoyed as they lose services and have to move their data yet again.

The closing of MobileMe is another in the long line of "cloud service" closings in the past few years (including sites that were around before the term 'cloud' was coined) and it won't be the last.

Be a custodian of your own data. Do not trust "the cloud" as anything more than a temporary storage location.

skellener

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2003
So. Cal.
Apple services suck. They always have. No tears for this.

Keep making great hardware and great OSes. Stick to your strengths.

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
Finally, now Apple will quit nagging me to pay for cloud services.

Now where is the new iMac and Mac Pro?

ferrariguy90

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2012
Now, the real question is if Apple is going to leave broken iWork.com buttons/integration in its iWork apps for Mac and iOS.

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
Does anyone here know when we'll be able to use our iCloud mail account (@me.com) as our primary email for our Apple ID?

I think so. I still have an old .Mac account from 2004 that I'm using for instant messaging right now, and it works.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.