Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nicklaus

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 19, 2010
Winter Park
When my computer wakes from sleep it occasionally makes the sent mail and ding noises over and over again about 5 times each. It did this on my macbook air and now on my rMBP. Is this happening to anyone else? What could it mean?

DiamonDecoden

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2011
Texas
When my computer wakes from sleep it occasionally makes the sent mail and ding noises over and over again about 5 times each. It did this on my macbook air and now on my rMBP. Is this happening to anyone else? What could it mean?

it's imessage. turn off the sound for when a buddy logs in/out
yea, it's very un-intuitive since we don't have a buddy list >.>
hmm..another annoying issue with ML

Ragnar-Kon

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2011
It is probably the new Power Nap feature.

From Apple website:
When your Mac goes to sleep, it still gets things done with Power Nap.

It periodically updates Mail, Contacts, Calendar, Reminders, Notes, Photo Stream, Find My Mac, and Documents in the Cloud. When your Mac is connected to a power source, it downloads software updates and makes backups with Time Machine. While all that updating is going on, the system sounds are silent and no lights or fans come on, so nothing disturbs you. And when your Mac wakes up, it’s good to go.

canucksfan88

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2007
i get a sound EVERY time i connect to the internet - be it plugging in the ethernet cable or wifi.

it is very annoying. i cant find anything in settings to identify why they occur or how to turn them off

bcasey25raptor

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2012
St john's newfoundland
Yes i have noticed this

When i first heard it i thought something was wrong, it's just imessage. Wait for an update from apple for it.

I fond that if you just turn off imessage it stops. But disabled it in notifications as well or it will continue to annoy you.

AuPhalanx

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2004
Wilkes-Barre, PA
My gal had this issue with her MacBook Pro (running Lion) and then with her brand new Air (running Mountain Lion). I set the "New Message Sound" in Mail's Preferences>General to "None" and so far that did the trick.

T.

AuPhalanx

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2004
Wilkes-Barre, PA
But if you set new mail sound to none how do you know when you've got new mail?

I don't know if you're asking me personally, but I'll answer. On my iMac, I use the Mail icon in the dock to notify me new e-mails. On my Air, I use the Notification Center. Prior to ML on my Air, I just looked at Mail every so often to see if I received mail, as I run it full-screen.

That being stated, I turned off the new mail sound LONG ago for one simple reason: I found myself behaving like Pavlov's dog! The bell would ring and I would stop just about whatever it was I was doing (on the computer or not) and look to see the new e-mail. Once I realized how I was behaving, I turned off that sound and I couldn't be happier about that decision.

T.

woland8816

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2007
Happened to me

Very strange. On two macbook airs. One brand new, the other a couple of years old. The only way to stop it was to force it to shut down.

Ed

Pagemakers

macrumors 68030
Mar 28, 2008
Manchester UK
The sad thing is I've been searching forums and reporting this bug to apple for about 10 months now. It happens on all my macs.

Don't hold your breath for a fix anytime soon.

DiamonDecoden

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2011
Texas
Nope no facetime or ichat. No notifications either.

iMessage is not even set up. I dont use it.

I don't think apple will fix this anytime soon. I've had the problem since lion!!!

Ok... I know you don't have message app open/setup. just to test it out. why don't both of you going to preferences of that app and turn off the sound when a buddy logs out/in. please see if that fixes it and report back! it's a trial and error. this is what it ultimately stopped the whoosh sound for me. so it doesn't hurt to give it a try.

Pagemakers

macrumors 68030
Mar 28, 2008
Manchester UK
1) It not that sound… It’s the sound of Mail sending email

2) I had it before Mountain Lion. Before iMessage was even installed on my Mac.

AuPhalanx

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2004
Wilkes-Barre, PA
1) It not that sound… It’s the sound of Mail sending email

2) I had it before Mountain Lion. Before iMessage was even installed on my Mac.

Is there a chance that when you send an e-mail, it is actually not sending, but getting stuck somewhere? And then when you awaken your machine it makes the send?

(I don't know how one would check this. Hopefully someone knows how.)

T.

Pagemakers

macrumors 68030
Mar 28, 2008
Manchester UK
No…. It’s the incoming email sound.

If 10 emails are waiting to come in I get 10 sounds.

50 emails and I get 50 sounds.

2 emails and I get 2 sounds.

DiamonDecoden

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2011
Texas
Is there a chance that when you send an e-mail, it is actually not sending, but getting stuck somewhere? And then when you awaken your machine it makes the send?

(I don't know how one would check this. Hopefully someone knows how.)

T.

No…. It’s the incoming email sound.

If 10 emails are waiting to come in I get 10 sounds.

50 emails and I get 50 sounds.

2 emails and I get 2 sounds.

Ok.. what about iCloud.. try signing out of icloud and signing back in. I'm guessing you have me.com email address right? That's another thing I did. I had some issue with having 2 apple ID's so I signed out of icloud and I signed back in. Try that and see if that will work b/c it's either this or the message that my woosh sound disappeared.

DiamonDecoden

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2011
Texas
I don't use any iCloud email accounts at all.

you can try signing out (deleting) of all your existing mail accounts and then add /signing into your mail accounts [make sure you know all the passwords/server settings beforehand ofc]. that's the next logical step I would assume. also do a restart as well just for good measure. other than that-you can call apple. if it's a bug, hopefully they'll address it soon.

Mattie Num Nums

macrumors 68030
Mar 5, 2009
USA
If this is the error where you just here "ding, swoosh, ding, swoosh" over and over I reported this bug day 2 of Mountain Lion Developer release and have noticed it still happens.

popcorn-in-sac

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2008
Seattle, WA area
Probably related to this thread...

I've got a similar issue with Lion. Sounds related to Mail activity will stop working and won't play at all. They seem to get somehow queued up.

This thread over at Apple Discussions talks about the issue.

There is a method to re-trigger the sounds described on page two of the thread, and if I do what it suggests, I will also hear every sound that Mail made since the sounds stopped working. It can be quite a few, and sounds like what you describe -- dings and swooshes.

I wonder if it's the same core issue, but manifesting itself a bit differently with Mountain Lion?

Mark

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.