Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

defektion

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2010
Any early purchasers call apple to complain?

Mike

I did. All I got was my TB to gigabit ethernet credited. I'm not gonna fuss over $60 bucks, seeing how my Macbook isn't even finished processing yet.

I ordered the 2.6/16/512 on August 30th.

Rennir

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2012
I fail to see how there is anything to be complaining from a logical standpoint. Yes, Apple has offered more choices (which is great for consumers) than before, but this only affects people who have yet to purchase a rMBP yet in a positive way and doesn't affect those who have purchased rMBPs.

Fact of the matter is that those who have bought rMBPs have done so after extensive thinking (at least I certainly hope so :eek:). If they didn't like the base rMBP and yet thought upgrading everything was too expensive or had some other reason that they only wanted to upgrade the processor, they could've fully chosen to not purchase a rMBP. In the end, people who have bought rMBPs (and haven't returned them) chose the configuration that best satisfied their needs and wants (before Apple introduced new options) while taking into consideration the money they were willing to give in exchange for that satisfaction. Now, Apple has come out with a configuration that has a higher satisfaction of needs and wants to price ratio--which sucks for those who've passed the 14 day return period, but hey, that's just the way the world works. Apple has no obligation to release said configuration at launch. Furthermore, the scenario isn't a rare occurrence. Finding an extremely similar product with a higher satisfaction to price ratio weeks after a purchase of the original product happens quite often in life.

ZacT94

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2012
Anyone else annoyed this comes after they ordered their base level rRMBP w/upgraded RAM? Definitely would've bumped the processor at those prices, too. :(

Absolutely!

----------

Any chance I could swap my rMBP although I didn't buy it at an Apple Store?

foidulus

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2007
As of this morning, shipping times in the US are down to 5-7 business days(which basically is SLIGHTLY less than 1-2 weeks, but hey :p)

grover432

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2009
Anyone else annoyed this comes after they ordered their base level rRMBP w/upgraded RAM? Definitely would've bumped the processor at those prices, too. :(

Once you bump the processor to 2.6 and the SSD to 512, you are within $150.00 of the model that starts out as a 2.6/512, but the graphics card has more memory 512 vs 256.

I bought a 2.6/512 in June. This change doesn't make me feel like I missed out on getting a less expensive model.

keramidas

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2012
Once you bump the processor to 2.6 and the SSD to 512, you are within $150.00 of the model that starts out as a 2.6/512, but the graphics card has more memory 512 vs 256.

I bought a 2.6/512 in June. This change doesn't make me feel like I missed out on getting a less expensive model.

really man where do you get all this stuff? almost nothing you say is valid

lifeinhd

macrumors 65816
Mar 26, 2008
If I'm not mistaken, also the first iPod touch.

First iPod Touch added a 32GB option at $499. The 8GB for $299 and 16GB for $399 options remained unchanged.

----------

I fail to see how there is anything to be complaining from a logical standpoint. Yes, Apple has offered more choices (which is great for consumers) than before, but this only affects people who have yet to purchase a rMBP yet in a positive way and doesn't affect those who have purchased rMBPs.

Fact of the matter is that those who have bought rMBPs have done so after extensive thinking (at least I certainly hope so :eek:). If they didn't like the base rMBP and yet thought upgrading everything was too expensive or had some other reason that they only wanted to upgrade the processor, they could've fully chosen to not purchase a rMBP. In the end, people who have bought rMBPs (and haven't returned them) chose the configuration that best satisfied their needs and wants (before Apple introduced new options) while taking into consideration the money they were willing to give in exchange for that satisfaction. Now, Apple has come out with a configuration that has a higher satisfaction of needs and wants to price ratio--which sucks for those who've passed the 14 day return period, but hey, that's just the way the world works. Apple has no obligation to release said configuration at launch. Furthermore, the scenario isn't a rare occurrence. Finding an extremely similar product with a higher satisfaction to price ratio weeks after a purchase of the original product happens quite often in life.

Thing is, when rMBP first came out, one of the biggest complaints was "it's too expensive." Now, for just $100 more than the regular high-end 15" MBP, you can have the same processor, same graphics, same RAM, but much faster storage and a much better display. Only $100! And that's what people are complaining about: the price gap has closed significantly.

Not to mention, it wasn't like the rMBP first came out months ago, and these people have sat through what can be considered a "normal" refresh cycle.

techsmith

macrumors member
Aug 3, 2011
What real world advantage will the 2.6 have over the 2.3?
Depending on the task, negligible to 13% performance difference depending on how CPU bound the task is. Personally within this range I tend to go for the lower CPU because fast tasks are still going to be fast (0.10s vs 0.09s isn't going to hurt me), and something slow will still be slow (I'm not going watch a movie encode that takes 30 minutes or 26.5 minutes; I'm going to do something else). Below are some benchmarks.

http://www.macworld.com/article/116..._retina_models_occupy_the_consumer_space.html

Fiestaman

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2009
Ugh. I'm 4 days outside my 14 day return window. All this after waiting 3 weeks to get my computer. First Apple computer and needless to say, it's not as pleasant as it was made out to be. Amazing computer hardware wise but all this jerking people around is ridiculous. This customization of processor is exactly what I wanted. I didn't need the larger hard drive, especially at the prices that border into rape. Now I'm stuck with my second choice cause Apple can't get their stuff straight. At the very least, I'll wait out any BS that Apple wants to pull within the first couple months of a new product. Doubt I'll be as eager to get the new iPhone either. What was supposed to be my sweet sampling of Apple has left a very sour taste in my mouth.

PS65

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2008
United Kingdom

Ummm no it doesn't.

b_scott

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2008
This seems pointless. The difference between the two with the same options except the 2.3 instead of 2.6 is $100. That's it.

vpro

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2012
No one is being ripped or jiffed or what'ever!

This is the price you pay for wanting something "FAST - great - NEWEST - now!" The market is not set up to have instant gratification and complete satisfaction RIGHT OFF THE BAT. The more consumers with mass desire to over consume, riding on the tide of new & best, this is what you get. Those who take their time and really extend the lives of their previous generation machines will get the better end of the deal, never fails !

I'm still hoping for the return of the 17inch mbp in a similar or better form factor.

This trend to please the teen market who still live at home will hit a thick brick wall at any time now.

But this is a great move on Apple's part I am proud!

sentiblue

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2012
Silicon Valley
Why two versions?

If the lower end MBP can be customized that much... Apple should really present ONE option MBP with Retina...

Then allow storage these options: 256, 512, 768GB SSD.

That should allow everyone to customize the laptop using all possible combinations of hardware.

MBrandonLee

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Called, no luck on getting a refund. It appears that the website is fixed. Is anyone still seeing it as cheaper and did they call in and get the refund? What did you say?

MBrandonLee

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Did anyone with a 2.6/16/512GB config get it at the cheaper price and is willing to share their order number with me through PM? I can't get a refund about that unless they can prove that someone else got it for that amount.

I have no idea how others got a partial refund like that with the webstore fixed.

Roman2K~

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2011
Depending on the task, negligible to 13% performance difference depending on how CPU bound the task is. Personally within this range I tend to go for the lower CPU because fast tasks are still going to be fast (0.10s vs 0.09s isn't going to hurt me), and something slow will still be slow (I'm not going watch a movie encode that takes 30 minutes or 26.5 minutes; I'm going to do something else). Below are some benchmarks.

http://www.macworld.com/article/116..._retina_models_occupy_the_consumer_space.html

The 2.6 GHz also has VT-d (see this comparison), which, provided the chpiset supports IOMMU, allows for PCI device passthrough to virtual machines, including the GPU -- at least with QEMU + KVM under Linux. Namely, for running games in a Windows VM, which works flawlessly :cool:.

Last edited:

Wicked4u2c

macrumors member
Apr 11, 2011
Bad Apple

Lol Google gave away the Nexus Q to early adopters that pre ordered it. Apple screws the early adopters on their Mac line up. Glad I waited, don't need 512gb of SSD storage and pay an arm and leg. With processor upgrade and 16gb of RAM I'm under $2500!

I'm sure Apple knew this configuration was coming, they figured people would feel forced to buy the better model since your already spending a lot of money. Even if I bought a warranty I would be paying less :p

vpro

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2012
Oh My Gosh!

I know what this smells like. Humor me on this spark of spontaneous spark..

What if.......

All these options are for the returned machines that some of you losers didn't like any more after a week cos it wasn't to perfection? Now apple is taking them back and stripping out all the innards for your custom orders on the 'entry level model'?

Someone on here said all these options makes it confusing for the consumer because what is the difference anyways now with all the options?

It would make PERFECT sense if there was a 17" model or a 13" model with all options, but its two identical 15" machines that you can configure the same and it costs the same, well if you don't upgrade the ram and storage it is a meaningless 100 bucks less for the base model.

They are just giving you the ILLUSION of options, very clever but not clever enough for my pocket full of gold.

Business is a great sin to humanity. It isn't supposed to make sense or make anyone truly happy, it is made to make man constantly yearning and perpetually dissatisfied ^_^

Last edited:

PS65

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2008
United Kingdom
Yeah it's a bit of an eye-opener! I was annoyed at Apple for not allowing an option with the lower CPU and 512GB drive... But now I see that most of the price difference is in the flash memory, I don't feel bad about going for the 2.6/16/512 option. £100 more for the slightly more power CPU seems worth it since we're spending so much anyway! :D

As a rule, Apple should be providing full customisation of all computers with non-service-upgradeable options.

I agree, but I went for a 2.3/16/512 which is about the difference. But Apple gave me some more discount so actually, 2.3 to 2.6 would cost me about £160. £160 for gaining hardly any speed isnt worth it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.